Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:56:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534271 times)
AshfordPride
« Reply #940 on: November 06, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »

P.S. Did you know you can summon Solaire for the fight?

And Lautrec.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #941 on: November 06, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »

I wasn't human, so I couldn't summon them. Got lost after falling into a pitfall trap, accidentally landed near the boss fog gate and thought: "why not". Now I need to go around that level again to do all the stuff I missed, unlock the shortcut, kill that huge rat, and so on.

I don't think I have much DPS yet (just Claymore +4) but the Dragon was pretty easy anyway. Just took a while. If you keep to his left, he can't do much at all. Basic Monster Hunter training was enough to get him.

Surprisingly enough, so far I've had the most trouble with Bell Gargoyles, even though they are not that hard. Took me a while to realize I'm supposed to stay close instead of trying to keep my distance.

Is Murakumo really significantly better at stunlocking than Claymore, Zweihander or other big weapons?

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »

so... is the murakumo is basically the dark souls equivalent of the meat cleaver or what?
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: November 06, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »

so... is the murakumo is basically the dark souls equivalent of the meat cleaver or what?

I don't think so. Meat Cleaver was basically an enchanted Great Axe with a different model and some phantom reach. Murakumo is a dex greatsword -- different move set, much faster, and with only moderately high damage. It's more like a pure dex version of Zweihander or Claymore.

Tom Grochowiak
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 06, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »

no the meat cleaver is the dark souls equivalent of the meat cleaver u dingus
Dragonmaw
« Reply #945 on: November 06, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »

Rubbish has my favorite item description.

Rubbish with no value.
Who in their right mind would bother carrying this around? Perhaps you need help.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: November 07, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »

Defeated Kalameet and saved Sif. Only Manus to go in DLC. That unused Artorias dialogue was interesting, I wonder why they didn't use it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 07, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »

any strategies for kalameet for a melee dex build? ive tried him a couple times but i always get completely annihilated before i can do much of anything.

(also why isn't kalameet called guyra??!!?!)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: November 07, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »

I play with sorcerer so I just spammed him with magic. However, his attacks are really slow, can't you just run in, hit few times and back off?  If you can run around him while he is breathing fire, you should be able to score few hits in. Same when he is walking. I'd probably try to stay very near him but not below if I played melee. You should also have magic resistance gear since his flames do magic damage.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 07, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »

thanks, i'll try that. didn't know that his flames did magic dmg.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »

Defeated Kalameet and saved Sif. Only Manus to go in DLC. That unused Artorias dialogue was interesting, I wonder why they didn't use it.

I thought it sounded a bit too young for Artorias, who was supposed to be an experienced, ridiculously powerful warrior. I mean, sure, he might have been young (since he was a giant, he still would look imposing), but it wasn't really the badass voice I would have expected.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 07, 2012, 02:53:45 PM »

the dialog would have explained too much straight away. i mean it's basically artorias straight up telling you what the deal is. can't have that in a souls game. Wink

also you later find out what happened via gough, ciaran and elizabeth anyway. quelaag also had some dialog that was ultimately cut.

also from an atmosphere standpoint it's cool that most of the bosses don't talk. makes them creepier.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 07, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »

if artorias talked it wouldve totally killed the mood of that fight. was better with him just roaring and then kicking your ass.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: November 07, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »

I don't know, I'd liked if some bosses had talked a bit though many of them are creepier because of not talking. I'm usually more chilled by comments NPCs say when you attack and kill them, probably because they so clearly identify as humans and not monsters.

Btw, what do you people make out of the whole story? Before I thought it was clear that the dark age was a good thing and keeping the flame lit was "bad" but after seeing the humanity's dark side and what happened to Artorias, Manus (pygmy?) and talking to Gough it looks like keeping the flames lit has some positive sides too. Well, I didn't really expect to see clear good & bad guys, but makes me wonder what is the real motivation of Kaathe since he apparently has supported the abyss in past too (supposing that it was him who led Oolacile to its fall).

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: November 07, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »

I agree that it would be stupid if Artorias talked during the fight. BUT... I was expecting him to have some dying words or something after he was un-possessed.  That was pretty disappointing to me.

It was clear that Kaathe might not be telling you the whole truth - after all, Ingward was willing to protect the seal until his death, and seemed to think the Darkwraiths were evil enough to justify killing an entire city, making Kaathe the prime candidate for destroying Oolacile. Perhaps the serpent simply wants to use you as a tool to kill the Gods, and usurp your power.

I just think the dark ending is better because, y'know, not dying and becoming the Dark Lord is pretty badass.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: November 07, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »

Surprisingly enough, so far I've had the most trouble with Bell Gargoyles, even though they are not that hard. Took me a while to realize I'm supposed to stay close instead of trying to keep my distance.

What? You mean you found the Gargoyles harder than Capra Demon? That's strange indeed. Gargoyles are usually pretty easily beaten because it's a short distance away from the save point, meaning you can go human and summon Solaire easily.

The next boss you face after Gaping Dragon isn't that hard either, at least if you can dodge well. The real difficulty comes from the area before it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 07, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »

there's no clear cut good and evil in this game imo. the player character is ultimately just a pawn in a struggle for power between the gods and the darkwraiths. youre pretty much left to make up your own mind on who's the better side.

both serpents are definitely liars tho, that's why they're serpents.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 07, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

I had a theory that the humanity sprite's nature was to be forever divided and passed on through childbirth etc which could be why humans are mortal among immortals and why all firekeepers are female. Keeping or hoarding humanity would be like denying the next generation it's chance (denying nature's course) so it would become a curse, i.e. undeath, disfiguration, madness. Kind of a Grixis thing for you MTG players.

From this perspective both endings are evil.
A) Continuing the age of fire past it's expiration date by herding the existing humanity with firekeepers and bonfires is a perversion of nature.
B) Darkwraiths consolidating the dark soul within one being instead of allowing it to divide itself fractally is a perversion of nature.

No idea how the serpents fit into anything. Are they older or newer than dragons? Why do they have human features?

DLC story fucks up everything.

Edit:
Also I think the four lords each represent an imbalance in the natural equilibrium which is why everyone has to die.
Gwynn: Too much law
Witches: Too much chaos
Nito: Too much death
You, and all the other undead: Too much life, Manus kind of shows where this leads

How do immortals die anyways? Gwynn 'sacrificed' himself and became a shell so I think the idea is death as death of the will, which makes sense if all the gods and immortals are just personifications of a certain force anyways.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:01:06 PM by Belimoth » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 07, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »

gwyn sacrificed his soul to the flame to keep it burning. when you fight him youll notice that he looks hollow. so i guess what hollowing is is the flames burning away your soul.

the primordial serpents were probably around from the beginning (being primordial and all). the gold serpent ring's description says that the serpent is an "imperfect dragon."
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: November 07, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »

What? You mean you found the Gargoyles harder than Capra Demon? That's strange indeed. Gargoyles are usually pretty easily beaten because it's a short distance away from the save point, meaning you can go human and summon Solaire easily.

The next boss you face after Gaping Dragon isn't that hard either, at least if you can dodge well. The real difficulty comes from the area before it.

I never summon anyone for the boss fights, at least not when I'm doing them for the first time. Prefer to learn how to beat them on my own. I also try to never use any exploits or cheap tactics. Otherwise I don't feel like I'm really defeating the boss. Dunno why. Some gamer thing.

Capra Demon's dogs killed me twice, but it was a quick deal. His lair is not that far from Firelink Shrine so running back didn't take too long either. Managed to get rid of his dogs on the third attempt and then he came down easily.

Gargoyles on the other hand killed me several times, because I was an idiot. Tried to dodge the first one's attacks instead of shielding against them. And when he raised his weapon for that huge overhead swing, I tried to get away from it instead of closing in, avoiding the attack, and getting a few hits in. It made the battle quite slow, and when the second gargoyle appeared, they eventually got me by attrition or unlucky combo. Next morning I just picked the game and defeated them on the first attempt in under 3 minutes. Ugh.

So who's the next boss? I thought the game is somewhat non-linear. I plan to go to Darkroot Garden now.

Totally digging the story discussion, even though I don't know what you guys are talking about yet. Really loving how Souls games handle their storylines and make them engaging and open for interpretation with pretty much the mood alone. Why can't we have more games like this?

Tom Grochowiak
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic