Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:13:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesOverscan - trepidation is the brain trauma
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Overscan - trepidation is the brain trauma  (Read 15750 times)
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:05:41 AM »

Here is the half-DEMO,. sorry kids, but we ain't done it!

http://iterationgames.com/overscan_DEMO_001.zip

Clysm lost his electric power with the big storm that hit the gulf,. and it may be WEEKS till he is back online Sad  and I have been lost in otherworldly buisness that has eaten all my time/energy,. As you can see we knocked out some of the basic gameplay,. in our own lo-fi 2d sota' way, but we really do have a lot more to do to get it done,. Clysm has drawn many more sprites,. and some very cool backgrounds, and a couple bosses,. that I would like to see in the game.  As well we have talked of many fine ideas that will eventualy show up in there,. and I would lov to do more music and the sounds are few and just placeholder,. it is really not even a propper demos, just kinda trails off,. but I post it just to show we did try, and got this far,.  so the demo is there for those that are really interested,. and we do intend to keep working on it,. so score us an incomplete for this challange,. and we will just post the finnal ver. when we get'er done.  thanks for your support. peace.

<original post follows>

We started a bit late, and have not been posting, due to being working on getting this thing playable,. but I am avoiding starting on it this mornning,. waiting for the coffee to kick in,. so you get a post!

It's a little GM project with myself doing the main coding,. and Cly5m doing the sprites.  We are designing it together, as we are both huge fans of the original,. in fact we have talked about doing some form of re-make or game 'inspired by' this for many years. When I started doing research I noticed Cly5m's shrine is listed on the Wikipedia entry for the game!
  http://www.autofish.net/shrines/rez/index.html 

Just yesterday I got the original game working in an emu,. (DCver) and now I can work from it rather than memory, I had purchased the game for both the DC and the PS2 however sadly both where lost,. interestingly I also found that K-Project (early ver. of the game) has been leaked to the net, and you can find an image file to burn and play, if you still have a DC, or just run it in emu,.
  http://kotaku.com/tag/rez/

Of course, we can not hope to touch the brilliance of the original,. and know it. So we are embracing the DE-make idea and doing a simple side-scrolling low-rez (320-240) tribute ver. hope you enjoy.

peace
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:07:18 PM by jph wacheski » Logged

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »

screen looks polished polished !!!  Wink

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:32:30 AM »

OH YES! 2D Rez! What platform are you aiming to emulate? From the screenshot, I'm guessing NES? NES versions of the Rez music would be so SWEET.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:08:31 AM »

Fair enough - you might not meet the synaesthetics of the original, but I think that Rez's gameplay can absolutely be improved within a Demake! Even a simple combo system which felt like it meant something would help. Minor bonuses for shooting on a down beat - stuff to encourage you to engage with the beat, rather than fudging the visuals to co-incide with the beat. Get you actively being rhythmic with your controls, rather than simply letting the game do it for you.

Absolutely looking forward to this one. Wish I thought of this. I think most people would consider Rez a demake of Panzer Dragoon, but that TM quote about how it was a visual choice rather than retro sort of blows that idea out of the water.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:14:45 AM by Bezzy » Logged

jph wacheski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 07:15:07 AM »

We are not actualy working to a specific systems specs., with the res. that low,. it could perhaps be an Amiga, or perhaps an ST,. NES would be more retro then we are going, as we are using alpha for some effects,. but rotation is still undecided,. (most likely not on sprites, but perhaps on some effects) the music is being done with an old tool I was building years ago,. that I lost the source to, and can not change but it should work as is;

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/?act=ST&f=11&t=231844&st=0#entry1616372

It is a couple .dll files that emulate the old ATARI C012294 chip 'POKEY' so the music will be 4 tracks of stario square wave noise.  :D
 If any of you are up to creating some music using that tool, you can still get in on this project! With all the codeing needed, I will have little time/energy left for making the tune-age,. . We could perhaps use MODs, however I have not found a .dll that lets me loop single patterns from code? anyone know of a way and we may change to MODs,. I doubt if I am left doing the music that it will referance the REZ stuff,. it will just be what ever I come up with,. we'll see.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »

Amiga and ST didn't have alphaed sprites either :D

But you don't really need to stick to real specs if you don't want to.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

Rez is Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:15:05 PM »

But you don't really need to stick to real specs if you don't want to.

The way most people got around this was stippling (The 'chequerboard' effect). It's a technique that would work pretty well on Rez's cursor, I think.

Good to see someone attempting an ST/Amiga demake, too!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:55:16 PM »

As a matter of fact, they HAD, but it would basically cut the available colours in  half, for just one level of transparency. Both Amiga & ST had bitplans, and it allowed some sort of limited transparency.

The famous demo bellow uses this trick inside the Amiga's OS, to display some middle dark shadow under the waving scrolltext.

Wasn't much used in games, though, prolly because going from 15 to 7 colours was really too anoying Smiley

Your demake looks promising, btw, Rez in 2D, I wanna play it !!!

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 03:16:37 AM »

Erm, not to be a pedant, but Rez's game play IS 2D. Its world is 3D, but you still only control pitch and yaw.

Which is why I feel like this demake can totally match Rez's game play, if not surpass it. As much as I love the "experience" in Rez, there so many missed gameplay opportunities.

jph wacheski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 07:35:39 AM »

I know a lot of you'all like the techyness of retro hardwares,.(often so do i  Beer!) and are a picky bunch or good o'l eggs  Gentleman ,. however for this de-make we are not really focusing on any real-word hardware. So the alpha, (beta, block rockin' and any other hardware) debats although theoreticaly and historicly interesting don't really apply. 

The ideas of adding more rythmic and music based elements to the game are also very interesting and are being considered, however time is short, and I am just working on getting the bare-basics of the game working in 2d,. it does have some interesting mechanics as is,. and de-making to 2d provides it own challanges,. larger changes to the basic gameplay may not make it into this iteration,. just don't want ppl to b expecting too too much,. they may, perhaps, come after the deadline, or in the form of another game, based on the learnings from building this one. not sure just yet..,

I must disagree with Bezzy about the gameplay being just 2d though,. that is like saying a plane by having only pitch and yaw can only fly in 2d,. moveing the rectial in 2d actually moves the camera in 3d,. and re-oriants the view,.  yes it is a limited control set, and the player's avitar is not moved (positionaly) by the players actions, (it's a rail-shooter) however I really don't see the game as 2d gameplay,. I suppose, like all things, this is a question of interpetation,. so feel free to consider it how you like,. that's just my thoughts though.  I do agree with you that many games miss opportunities for gameplay, and that was infact what lead me to want to build my own games,. I do find however that once you build a game, ppl come along and just gloss of what you achived, and mentally add more to it, or expect more from it,. forgeting all the effort that it took to get it to that place to begin with,. I know now, that I am very guilty of that  Embarrassed 
However those human desires for MORE, and our never satisfied tendancies,. are what lead to greater inovations.  Keep pushing the edges!

looks like there will be at least one or more likely two other versions of REZ., so it will be interesting to see what others as focussing on as well,.

d3sphil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »

I like your screenshot =D.

I think it will be cool. Do what feels best!

As like the original it is, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm working on a version of Rez for the virtual boy and I don't even hope to get near the same effect. But, it's just for fun, and for the little competition. The main reason Rez was and is amazing in my eyes are the killer beats and cool sights. As a de-make, we limit what sights we can do. It is thus very difficult to match up to that. The same goes for the sound. As for me, I'm no Dj/remixer and thus can' dream of having as cool music.

It's all for fun, and fun for all.
I want more screen-shots!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:21:21 AM »

As a matter of fact, they HAD, but it would basically cut the available colours in  half, for just one level of transparency. Both Amiga & ST had bitplans, and it allowed some sort of limited transparency.

The famous demo bellow uses this trick inside the Amiga's OS, to display some middle dark shadow under the waving scrolltext.

Wasn't much used in games, though, prolly because going from 15 to 7 colours was really too anoying Smiley

Your demake looks promising, btw, Rez in 2D, I wanna play it !!!

Extra half-brite gave you a level of darkening to the colours in the palette but it was not alphaed sprites as you couldn't mix the colours of the sprites with the background.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 06:15:24 PM »

EHB could be used like a 50% opacity black mask (that's what it was, an extra bitplane with a brightness bit).  I used it in a published game, with 64 colours (32 EHB) -here's a screenie, you'd get darker when you walked in the shadow areas:

http://hol.abime.net/hol_popup_picture.php?url=pic_full/screenshot/4601-4700/4684_screen4.png&width=320&height=256&zoom=1&title=Keith's%20Quest%20-%20Screenshot%20n%B04

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:19:55 AM »

Extra half-brite gave you a level of darkening to the colours in the palette but it was not alphaed sprites as you couldn't mix the colours of the sprites with the background.

Well, indeed, you could have 1bit sprites, blit in a separate bitplane, and the second half of the whole palette being a copy if the first half, with a higher luminosity. And that would give you 1bit sprites, layered on the whole image, with a good enough feeling of transparency / additive.

This was not restricted to Amiga's EHB, but could be used either on a Atari or any computer using bitplanes, as this is intrinsinquely related to the way bitplane video works Smiley

Anyway, please go on with your 2D Rez, no matter the hardware limitations of an Amiga :D

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 04:17:21 AM »

Yeah don't mind the technicalities. Beer!

jph wacheski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »

half-DEMO posted,.  Gentleman

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 02:25:02 AM »

Played until I got the fish form past the cube/sphere one. I like the gameplay base, and am looking forward to a further developed version.

Was the noisecore track what you were going for, or were you planning on doing something more melodic?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 08:40:23 AM »

Something tells me mother nature is pissed at us.

Big time.

Also, really nice little game you guys managed. Sure, it sucks that progress had to be halted, but there's major potential here. Good job.

Also, a dog form should be in the original. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »

I love the esthetic on this one, you should make it a full featured game Beer!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic