Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:04:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRobopolis: a puzzle platformer demo! (now playable in vista/win7)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Robopolis: a puzzle platformer demo! (now playable in vista/win7)  (Read 3716 times)
Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:34:01 AM »

Hey all,

I'm putting up a demo of my current project for some feedback.  Any feedback would be nice as it's the first time I've put it up for anyone else to play and I've made the whole thing myself so thoughts on any aspect of the game are welcome!

I am worried that puzzles aren't very good, so some feedback on the puzzles / mecahnics would be terrific.  It's my first puzzle game so this project is like a learning experience for me also.

I'll also take suggestions on a better title (I made up the current just so it had a name at all when I posted here), and of course if you find any bugs then let me know!

About the game itself:
You play as a little robot with very basic movement (more or less the same as the Blue Guy from fetus - left/right and hopping up to climb ledges) - BUT - he can possess other robots and use their talents to move move objects / press buttons to help him get to the exit of each level (first 10 levels it's an exit door, the next 10 you must reach the right-hand side of the screen).

The movement is a bit like cinematic platformers (Flashback / Abe's Oddysee) and the possession mechanic is heavily inspired by Abe too.  It might have similarities to Space Station Silicon Valley in as much as you can control different characters with their own controls or abilities, but I haven't actually played it so I can't say how much of a similarity there is.

Have some screens:

The download link is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?anzbnx721jxio7s
or here...
http://www.crocko.com/B1D0AB3DD91740098296AA961EEF1063/RobopolisDEMO2vist7.exe
or here!
http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/85470849/file.html

NB:  In addition to the controls mentioned in the demo, I've included running for the main character (by holding SHIFT).  You can skip through a couple of puzzles by using it as I'd made the levels before I added running, but the regular walking pace of the character can be a bit tedious.  I'm not sure whether to keep or scrap the running at the moment, but it's here anyway.

EDIT:  Replaced the previous version with a full screen one (with music that is a bit quieter) and got rid of that bug.  ALSO I didn't mention before but I've left the GM controls in there for now (F5 save & F6 load are the ones you might want to know!)

AND now it should play in vista & win7, so don't be put off by the posts below!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:00:34 PM by Oshikuru » Logged

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »

Looking forward to giving this a go - I'll try it when I'm back from work, downloaded it here but when I try to run it it crashes before even hitting the GM loading screen. Might just be this laptop though.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »

I'll write some initial thoughts as I try out the game. Sorry if it's not very cohesive.

Downloading. I don't like those fileshare sites and I guess many people don't, so if you want, I can mirror this file for you. Title screen. Man, the screen is tiny ... oh well. I like the title screen image. The dragon is cute and the robots running away look pretty funny. I like how one of them is leaned in one direction and the other one in, well, other. Small detail, but it works. The music is too loud, but it's catchy. Okay, lets move on by pressing 'space'. Text is really tiny. Music is really loud again. Moving around, liking the little animations. Okay, I can only control the robots in a certain range. And the selection box is also very picky, the positioning error margin is very small. Damnit, I keep pressing space for the other robots to shoot but that only skips back to the player. I forget X is for actions. The level end doors should open as I go near them. I like the levels so far, quite challenging I think. No way to save progress, right? I'm afraid to press ESC to see if it brings up a menu because most likely it closes the game. Even a code system would be helpful. On level 7 or 8, the second level where you had this jumping robot, I pushed a crate with the bulldozer and the crate pushed that robot I guess and an error appeared. Sorry, I forgot to make a screenshot Sad Something about an unknown variable 'x' or something. And then I accidentally closed the game. Maybe I'll try again later. If only there was a way to continue from where I left off ...

So to cap: I like the robots, animations and the overall theme of the game. The possession mechanic is cool. I don't like the loud music and the tiny screen. If everything was scaled 2x it'd be much better.

Keep up the good work! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »

Doesn't run on my home machine either Undecided

Open it, nothing happens - still stays in active process list at 25% cpu though, strange. It's not some kind of gamemaker debug build where you need GM installed to run it is it? If there is such a thing (don't know much about GM).

Both machines I tried were Win7.

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »

@Claw  Hey man! I haven't used windows 7, possibly ever, so I don't really know about running old GM games in there...  It's just meant to be a stand-alone .exe so I don't think you should need GM to play it though.  >.>  Maybe you can right-click > properties and run it under the compatability mode for an older windows?

@Eigen  Yeah the screen really is tiny :/  I should have fixed it before sending out a demo.  I'll add it either tomorrow or the day after. The music you can disable with the M key, though I'll have a listen back to it and consider changing the volume.  It's all midi so you can change the music volume independent of the sound effects in windows volume control.

I also left all the GM functions in, so you can try hitting F4 for full screen for now, although the scaling is a little fuzzy. I'll be sure to mention it when I edit the post.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »

It's all midi so you can change the music volume independent of the sound effects in windows volume control.

Funny, I had to change the wave sound volume, the MIDI one did nothing. Maybe that was just the title screen music. Anyhoo, you've got a nice little game there, keep at it!

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »

Eigen (or anyone who can run it), could you also try hitting F4 and telling me whether the scaled screen is blurry?  I can't tell if it's solely because of Game Maker or because my laptop is just THAT old :/

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:59:18 AM »

Sorry to double-post, but can someone else have a play of this too?  I could do with more than a single opinion on the game (though I'm grateful for that one!). 

I was hoping for some feedback on my puzzle designs...  There's a whole *20* levels packed into the demo so there's a fair bit to work with already.  It's my first real attempt at a puzzle platformer so I'm expecting there is plenty to criticise about the game, but I need to know what works and what doesn't from a fun/challenge perspective.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 05:16:53 AM »

Win7, can't run it either.
Tried compatibility mode, all options, no luck.
It uses 50% cpu for me and keeps running in the background.
I accidentally started 2 .exe's and it made my PC come to a grinding halt..

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »

Yeah, apparently GM6 isn't compatible with windows 7... but my laptop cannot run any games from GM7 onwards! >.< Heck.

EDIT:  Found a converting tool to make it playable in vista & 7.

I'll swap the link in on the first post too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:30:07 AM by Oshikuru » Logged

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »

Works on Windows 7 fine now Smiley

Played through a lot of it - I got totally stuck on a couple of levels and I really couldn't figure it out, but found the skip button so still progressed.

The ones I couldn't figure out were the one with the scientist at the top (couldn't work out how to get past the orange dude) and the level that introduces the dinosaur dude that breathes fire - the spider (which is awesome, love that spider) didn't seem to be able to shoot a long enough web to the platform above and I couldn't see any other way of getting there.

Those are probably me being dumb though Grin

The polish is solid, wonderful graphics, sounds all fit perfectly and everything is vibrant and full of life - loved the visual/audio look and feel of it. I liked the puzzle mechanics, was fun to try out new robots and discover their powers and work out how to use them - this was done very well and the puzzles seemed nicely paced.

My critiques are the main character movement was annoyingly slow, although that just reminded me you said their was a run button when we were in the pub, totally forgot about that haha. I get why it was slow though, so other robots can be used for speed etc. That's pretty much it.

Fun game, really loved the art and animations.

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »

Thanks for taking time to play & feedback Claw! Smiley

Good to know some of the puzzles are a challenge!  They're all solvable though Wink

I'm not really sure how to resolve the speed of the main guy...  When he runs he can clear the big smasher things really easily and when coming up with those the point was he couldn't get passed at all.  I added the run function mostly because his speed was annoying me, and if it's annoying for the designer it can't be any better for players so something needs to be done I guess.

I might just have to suck it up, let him run and re-work a few of the puzzles.  I was considering giving him upgrades as the game progresses, but I want to avoiding getting to complicated with this game, it'd be really nice if it could be my first actually finished game so I want to just keep it fairly simple.

Thanks for the kudos on my art!  It's probably the bit I do best ^__^

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »

Yeah, apparently GM6 isn't compatible with windows 7... but my laptop cannot run any games from GM7 onwards! >.< Heck.

EDIT:  Found a converting tool to make it playable in vista & 7.

I'll swap the link in on the first post too.

Download link isn't working for me, I click Download Now and it redirects to the same page ..
Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »

That might be a problem on your/zippyshare's end, as others (and myself having just tried it now) have downloaded it.
Try here instead:

Eigen offered to mirror it for me too so I might pester him about if anyone else has problems.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »

That might be a problem on your/zippyshare's end, as others (and myself having just tried it now) have downloaded it.
Try here instead:

Eigen offered to mirror it for me too so I might pester him about if anyone else has problems.

"This file will be available soon." Sad

Just put it on Mediafire IMO.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »

Quick first impression.
Will offer more constructive feedback tomorrow.

1st. A bit too slow paced, lots of walking, testing stuff, back and forth.
2nd. Hard to understand what to do at first
3rd. Love the art style, but the contrast is kinda low. Hard to tell some foreground platforms from the background. The background and levels could also be even more alive and interesting.

For the few levels, the purpose should be(and probably is) to teach the player and introduce the mechanics, different elements, how they can be used, etc.
But I find that there are some distracting things that could be removed completely to streamline it.
You want to teach the player to play, not necessarily giving him a hard time.
The harder levels should come when the player understands how to use the character and how the different objects work.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:32:40 PM by Seiseki » Logged

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »

As I was trying to sleep last night I was thinking about the levels I couldn't do - and solved them Tongue

Can't believe how dumb I was on the spider one haha.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 02:55:24 AM »

So, here we go.

The first thing you want to do is teach the player how the game works, you want to be super clear because misunderstanding something in a puzzle game can be extremely frustrating, since you might get stuck because you missed a detail and not because you're not capable of solving the puzzle.
So the players need to know the system, the objects, the abilities of the character, what they can do.
And then they can solve the puzzle by working with those things.

So this means animation, level design, design of objects, it all have to serve the purpose of being obvious and not misleading the player.

For example, the controlling other robots ability should be obvious right away. Even taken out of context it should be obvious what is going on and how it works.
Some concrete examples/suggestions.

- Add antenna to robots that can be controlled. Make them animate as soon as you use the ability.
Highlighting outlines of robots could be a step further. They already stop moving which is a good indicator.

- Add radio-waves coming from the player character, to indicate that he's sending out signals.

- When the green cursor box appears, it's not obvious that you can move it around. This might sound silly, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Adding some blinking arrows around it would be an easy tweak.

Some other suggestions would be, adding signs pointing at things.
For example, an easy way to tell where the player is supposed to go, is by lighting up an exit sign above the door he's supposed to reach as soon as he enters the level. I also think it would add to the charm.

You've got a good idea going here, I love the retro charm and there are some really cool animations, like when you take over the body of another robot and your character shuts down.
I think I'm also starting to get used to the to the movement speed.

Here's an edit I made of a screenshot, showing how you can make the graphics clearer and some other stuff.

Notes:
"This situation sucks", since it's the first level I don't think there should be a wrong solution.
There's nothing wrong with holding the players hand for the first two levels or so.
You can also make it smaller and more focused, although it still has to be interesting enough to catch the players attention.

Edit: After reaching the outdoor levels, wow! :D
Love the spider, the room with the saw blades, that's brilliant!
But I keep seeing stuff that screws you up at the very end or even after a puzzle is completed, if you don't look at all the details. When you've figured out the solution you shouldn't have so much trouble battling the game itself and trying to get it to do what you want it to. (I got killed by a box for standing to close to a ledge in one room)
And another example, in that particular spider-sawblade room there's the soldier and if you forget about him and just eagerly push the button as soon as you reach it, you've screwed it all up..
Personally I don't like that at all..

Also, the transition from indoors to outdoors is quite strange.. Could use something in between because now it just really sudden.
Perhaps a room where you break out from the lab like in portal or something?
It also feels a bit odd since I didn't really see a reason to leave the lab, you should probably try to add in some subtle story details in the background as to how oppressive the lab is.. Apart from, you know all the stuff trying to kill shoot at you or smash you into pieces.

And finally, you should add names or numbers to the rooms, like in the corner, perhaps using signs saying 'Test chamber 001' (too much portal?), that way it's easier for players to refer to rooms instead of just "that room with the guy and that thing"

Edit2: What about laser-sights for the shooting guys, that way you can tell that the entire area where he aims is off limits. Because I found out rather late that they actually chase you down if you're in their line of sight. (and that they always turn to face you)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:11:36 PM by Seiseki » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 06:41:08 AM »

Tried it out, I have to agree with Seiseki on most things.  The first level isn't clear at all what to do, and the big black/yellow hazard bars over the area you're actually supposed to go doesn't help.

I also agree that the art needs a lot more contrast between foreground and background objects and platforms.  The black/yellow background and foreground are difficult to tell apart.
Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »

Just signed up for MF so I'll edit the first post and include all the links up there...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic