Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:27:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED] HEALTHY WAVE (New version Sep. 06)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] HEALTHY WAVE (New version Sep. 06)  (Read 49021 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »

The situation of selection it emulate with the boat of much the musics!

It collects the block and the powerups, the end to carry through the point!

Complete the pattern where the same block for the enormous bonus is large!

Never face has it not, music of the sea-hedgehog of the experiment!

HEALTHY WAVE!!   

[/end engrish marketing blurb. you may rest your eyes now.]

VERSION 1.1 (SEP 6) DOWNLOAD HERE:

http://eriatic.wikidot.com/game:healthywave

CONTROLS

Cursor keys - Move left and right.
Ctrl - Drop bomb into current lane.
Esc - Quit game.

You can put other music files into the songs/ subdirectory in
order to play them. Every song creates a unique track matched
to the music. Note that the music files have to be in 44.1 kHz
Ogg Vorbis format.

CREDITS

Code: muku
Graphics: UltraJMan
Music: Multifaros

Huge props for Multifaros who let me use his brilliant chiptune
music for this game! Visit his homepage at http://multifaros.info.se/.

Original thread-starting post follows:

Anyway, I figured I should get started on this if I want any chance to produce something playable by the deadline. It's the first time I'm entering such a compo, and the first time in ages I'm actually trying to finish a game. We'll see.

So, if you haven't figured it out yet (you probably haven't), it's an AudioSurf demake with vaguely Gameboy-ish appearance (though I'm being very lenient about that). I spent all night hacking, and I have the driving mechanics more or less working. Here are some screenshots:

Yeah, I know, it looks neither too good nor very much like a Gameboy (though to my defense there are

for the GB). There are some graphical glitches, but I guess that's just as well for a bootleg.

To be done:

*) blocks to collect, and scoring. I need some way to differentiate them since color's not really an option; probably symbols.

*) a sprite for the player ship. Any volunteers? My art skills are subterranean Grin

*) a HUD, that is, the slab of dark color at the bottom of the screen. Again, if anybody wants to pixel something, be my guest.

*) matching it up with music. I have some technical ideas here, but I am looking for people who will donate chiptunes. Doesn't have to be in Gameboy style, pretty much everything goes, as I said I'm loose about that platform thing. The project hinges on this, so please don't let me down TIGS! Grin (no longer required, I have music to use)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:06:19 AM by muku » Logged
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:37:56 AM »

Do you have any sort of palette you are using? I know you said it's vaguely gameboy-ish, but if you've got a palette hit me up and I'll do my best on a ship, just give me an idea of how big you want it and I'll see what I can do.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 02:48:11 AM »

Thanks so much! Yes, I'm using the palette from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_videogame_consoles_palettes#Original_Game_Boy (so, strictly four colors so far, would be neat if we could stick to it). The rectangle in the screenshots is only a placeholder, and you don't have to stick to its size if you don't want to; just make something that looks reasonable in relation to the screenshots.

Note that the camera always views the ship from behind. The only thing is that it might be neat to have frames for the ship steering left and right, but it's not essential. Basically, a view from behind/slightly above is the most important thing.

Thanks again for helping out!
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 02:53:52 AM »

No problem, quick question though. What are the exact dimensions of the square you're using as a placeholder *so I don't go too big or small*

Anyhow, I'll get started on a ship soon, also would you like multiple ships or are you sticking to just one?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »

The rectangle I used is 12x9... pretty odd dimensions. WTF I forgot to mention that the in-game graphics are upscaled 3x. So it actually appears to have 36x27 pixels, but you have to work at the lower resolution (I want to keep the pixelly look).

EDIT: Alternatively, work at the higher resolution with 3x3 "pixels" and then scale it down.

Multiple ships would be great of course, but I'm in no position to make demands here! :D
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 03:17:06 AM »

Alright, I made a really simple ship that I think captures your feel but I want to make sure first. So here's two previews:

Normal 12X9 preview:

Large 36X27 preview:
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 03:34:13 AM »

Cool stuff. I just made a mockup with your sprite and my screenshot and just realized that the reference rectangle I gave probably was much too small:

I'm sorry. I just don't have an eye for that kind of thing. I'd say something bigger like this might look better, what do you say?

So, I can just use this rescaled version, or if you want you can make a higher-res one that actually uses more pixels. The new version runs to approximately 19x14 pixels, or 57x42 upscaled, but as I said you don't have to stick to that too closely if you want to make another one.

The third option is actually that I render the racing track smaller, so that the ship looks better in relation. This might be a good idea, have to try that too...
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 03:40:11 AM »

I actually made a mock up of it too and thought it looked a bit small. I can go ahead and try redoing one at a larger size if you're set on the game's resolution.

Expanding it wouldn't be too difficult though. Let me give that a quick go before you do anything else heh.
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 04:01:40 AM »

Alright, let's try this again. I went with 20X15 at this point and I'm liking how the new ship turned out more than the old one.

20X15 Ship:

60X45 Ship:

Hmmmmmm I might play with the shading, it looks more top down now than top down/behind.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:46:25 AM by UltraJMan » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:35:45 AM »

You're right, it looks a bit top-down at the moment, but otherwise it's cool. I'll have to integrate it into the game. You can still do the shading later, no problem.

Otherwise, let's take this to IM now as you suggested, it's probably quicker. Smiley
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 05:45:55 AM »

Alright, let's try this again. I went with 20X15 at this point and I'm liking how the new ship turned out more than the old one.

20X15 Ship:

60X45 Ship:

Hmmmmmm I might play with the shading, it looks more top down now than top down/behind.

i think you need to draw the reactors like two circles and then start with that to obtain a more "third person" perspective

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »

Progress, yay!

We have a ship and blocks, and you can zoom around the track. You can't really collect the blocks yet, but... all in due time Wink

There are some scaling issues with blocks that are far away, but we'll see how crippling that turns out to be. If it works at all, I'll leave it in in true bootleg fashion. Grin

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention the new sexy blur filter Wink
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:21:33 AM »

That's actually looking a lot better than I'd imagined it to, though someone suggested I remove the outlines on the ship, I figured I'd get a couple opinions here on that.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 02:17:53 AM »

That's actually looking a lot better than I'd imagined it to, though someone suggested I remove the outlines on the ship, I figured I'd get a couple opinions here on that.

it still seems topdown but looks nice
about the outlines... they are the only thing that separate the track and the ship, if you took them off, it will look like crap.

oh the "blur" filter is a nice add on!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 04:06:16 AM »

Deadlines are a great thing; I'm actually getting stuff done. You can now collect blocks, and scoring is in place. Basically, this is playable now, although crudely.

I'm still undecided just how pronounced I want to make the blur. The Gameboy didn't really have any blur at all, did it? But in any case it just makes it look that much less sterile.

UltraJMan, I butchered some of your sprites, I'm sorry, let's discuss it on Skype Wink These are really just placeholders at the moment.

Also, I secured someone's permission to use their chiptunes. Rejoiceth! I don't wanna spoil it just yet, but trust me, it's gonna be awesome. Gentleman
N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 04:50:24 AM »

I trust you, it's looking awesome already! Gentleman
captainbinky
Level 0

My dog's got no nose...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »

The Gameboy didn't really have any blur at all, did it?

Gosh, it had loads! You could barely see anything when the screen scrolled!  :D

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »

Heh, looking at it that way, you're right... it's been years since I've had one of those things in my hands Grin That's more like motion blur though and not the static directional blur I'm doing here. In fact, motion blur wouldn't be too difficult to implement either, hmmmm... but first to actually finish the game Wink
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »

Heh, looking at it that way, you're right... it's been years since I've had one of those things in my hands Grin That's more like motion blur though and not the static directional blur I'm doing here. In fact, motion blur wouldn't be too difficult to implement either, hmmmm... but first to actually finish the game Wink

I was just playing my original Gameboy for old time's sake a few weeks back. That thing really did have some serious blur issues, I still won't forget trying to find the brightest spot for playing without getting glare... good times.
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 07:08:36 AM »

Yup, definitely plenty of motion blur side effects, I guess that's why the hand held was way ahead of it's time.  Wink Smiley It's probably still my favorite hand held.

"Fun is rule."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic