Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:32:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Logo Reference
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Logo Reference  (Read 12867 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »

@Rek: Your wordmark logos remind me of taking a train ride home recently, where I noticed a lot of graffiti on the tunnels. It was really interesting to see the various shapes and sizes it came in, and how nice a lot of it looked, compared to your average tagging around cities. I feel like having a deeper appreciation for graffiti would be a good place to start in learning how to design incredible logos.

Graffiti is a wealth of experimental letterforms, largely untapped by industries not related to graffiti culture.

This is misleading. The conventions of video game logo design, especially when it comes to 8-16 bit era games and those that seek to emulate them, are not the conventions of the modern mainstream/corporate logo designs you will find on sites like that. In fact, they are virtually the opposite. Where retro/pixel game logos employ tonnes of gradients, 3D/bevel/shading, jumbled letters, deformed glyphs, tight/squashed tracking, mismatched type styles, overlapping elements, high contrast colours, multiple outlines, etc, simultaneously, modern/mainstream logos shun them in favour of flat simplicity.

Even modern video games seem to exist in their own world when it comes to logos. The few that aren't overly rendered and textured tend to be tightly tracked sans serifs or geometric typefaces (with a modified or substituted glyph, if you're lucky). Comparable to action/scifi movie title design, I suppose.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17:03 AM »

This is becoming my favorite thread.  <3

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »

Interesting logos, to be sure. The Zelda logos are all pretty good, though I like the latest logos best - they're not so busy.

Does anyone else see a 2 instead of a Z behind the logo?

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

Interesting logos, to be sure. The Zelda logos are all pretty good, though I like the latest logos best - they're not so busy.

Does anyone else see a 2 instead of a Z behind the logo?

Embarrassed I thought it was an X before now (wasn't looking all that closely at it) Embarrassed

oh god don't self-bump

(Zelda logos)

From Majora's Mask onward they're a hot mess. Link to the Past/Link's Awakening are the best of the set: the shield and sword graphic and the wordmark are the same style and fit together perfectly. From that point on they get more an more disjointed, devolving into the wordmark overlapping randomly placed objects (or clusters) done in different styles and competing colours. All of which is A-OK in video game logos, but still ugly.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:59:56 AM by rek » Logged
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »

Skyward Sword's logo is pretty okay.  The Oracle of Ages/Seasons logos are especially ugly.  The rest after MM are just meh.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 06:34:42 PM »

Skyward Sword's logo is pretty okay.

The illustration of the crest is really nice, but I'd rather it and "Zelda" were more similar in style – pencil crayons or vectors, not both. "Skyward Sword" is garish.

The Oracle of Ages/Seasons logos are especially ugly.

Agreed. Too much detail in those berries, and the brown/gold is awful.

The original two have their charms; they make me think of book titles for some reason.

But how about some more good logos...

Each one captures the mood/context/visuals of the game: WipeOut is strangely futuristic, Raving Rabbids is chaotic, Flower and Flow are organic, and Blur is, well, blurry, but with the same Technicolor glow found on everything in the game.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 06:00:04 AM »

I agree. I figured I'd post them all because this is the logo reference thread, and while I've looked at some of them before for ideas, this is the first time I actually studied them up close. It's surprising how mediocre most of them are. All sorts of bizarre lighting, rendering, placement, combinations of styles, everything really. It's hard for me to judge their quality since I have a lot of nostalgia for the games but I think Skyward Sword is definitely the worst one. For pure design I'd go with the two DS ones, and all the rest are just average. The sword and banners on the Minish cap logo are particularly awful.

The two DS logos are the most cohesive of the post-OoT set, and certainly suit the graphic styles of the games, but could be tighter, and don't need all that rendering on "Zelda".

(I just noticed the logos oscillating between ™ and ®... wonder what that's about.)

This thread has made me realize I didn't really look at game logos much before.

Did you ever settle on a logo for Archer? I notice your site is gone so I can't look for it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic