Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:32:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFoam
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Foam  (Read 30679 times)
sauyadav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 04:14:27 AM »

Upload it somewhere else, box.net won't let me download it.
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 05:42:25 AM »

Upload it somewhere else, box.net won't let me download it.

Alright. I'm hosting it with Dropbox now. Let's see if their bandwidth limit is a little higher.

I will have a new build out by the weekend.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:04:53 AM by Stwelin » Logged
mes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »

very nice! i like the music and funny characters you meet. imo, keep the first area silent and don't add a map. the only thing i didn't like about it is how much i had to repeat the same paths. i had to do the spikey mushroom step 5-10 times for example.

Wizard
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 05:41:45 PM »

by any chance were you inspired by yume nikki or LSD when made this

Yeah. I love

of LSD. And Yume Nikki was a big inspiration as well. I'm glad you caught both!
Oh, and You can choose to take the umbrella or not. The girl being there depends on visiting the three locations.

i had to do the spikey mushroom step 5-10 times for example.

Good to know. I really wanted to release this before I let it roll into the mass grave of unfinished games I have, thus very little playtesting got done by anyone but me.

Thanks for playing.
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 08:16:30 PM »

I do not know what just happened, but...
antoniodamala
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »

Loved the game. Reminds me of yume nikki, but with a far better and more interesting gameplay. Haven't finished yet, but so far, so good.
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »

Thanks for the positive responses, everyone. A new build is available. Arrow keys can now be used to control the player, keys J and K rotate the camera. (Though, a dual-analog gamepad is still ideal!)

New screenshots in the OP as well.

Have a good week.
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

I just wanted to say this is one of the best games I've ever played: beautiful to explore, with amazing aesthetics, wonderfully designed, meaningful and charming: reminiscent of older games without the repeat of obvious clichés (pixel art / coins /etc). Very modern too and very well paced. I'm in awe! are you on twitter? I'm rarely on TIG and would love to follow your work.

I discovered I could move the camera only after finishing the game and coming here O_O it's interesting because the game changes camera angles at points (for example when going through the fan) and thanks to that I could see the beaver costume. Involuntary puzzles rock! What is the fan room for btw?

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

That was fun exploring, and I really liked the music. I wish it was longer, but at least the short play through was an enjoyable.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »

Holy shit. This is amazing. At first I thought it was a bit like Yume Nikki, but this far surpasses Yume Nikki.

This game provides the perfect balance between leaving you utterly confused and presenting clear challenges. Although it took a long time to really understand the game, even when I didn't understand it the game provided a challenge (be it solving a puzzle or just exploring as-of-unexplored parts) at all times. Despite the random-seeming scenery, the world has a very memorable structure and each 'screen' looks unique, so navigation isn't a problem once you've wandered around for a bit. The fact that for the ending the game finally returns to the 'normal' world is awesome after wandering around for so long.

My only criticisms are that there's no indication of there being anything beyond getting the three eggs and reaching the standard ending (it didn't occur to me that there was more to do until I read this thread) and that the alternative endings are rather underwhelming considering the effort it takes to reach them (I went and replayed the entire game for a third time and all I get is a single changed line?).

Three things I'm wondering:
-Is there any difference between the submarine and the cloud form, aside from aesthetic differences? They both only seemed to serve the function of allowing you to pass over water.
-What's with the balloon near the flame form? Is there anything you can do with it?
-Likewise, is there anything special you can do with the GPU fan?

Like santaragione asked, do you have a twitter or some other place to hear about any other games you'll make from now on? If this is only your first game, I can't wait to see what future games from you will be like.
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »

snip

I was thinking a lot about Yume Nikki while making this. I'm glad you replayed it, and I'm sorry to have disappointed you with such a lousy reward for your hard work! I was really cramming to finish this game just to get my motivation up - consequently, 90% of the game was done during the final 10 days or so.

It sounds like to found mostly everything, I will say that there is a slightly alternative route you can take with the cloud form, but it's not very exciting. The "dead ends" (either literal dead-ends or characters that do nothing) are simply stuff I had ideas for but couldn't get around to because of my deadline!

I just made my first tweet: https://twitter.com/stwelin

I don't like to keep a dev log or anything, but I'll tweet my next game when it's done. It's in the works!

Thanks for playing!
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »

COMPLETELY SPECTACULAR!! Crazy

Man, seeing stuff like this really makes me want to finish/create my own game. Did you program and draw it all yourself? so amazing. Cant even get over it!!

Okay, but I'm gonna give some opinions on some things  Shrug

First off, there wasnt any music in the game besides the title screen (im not sure if it was supposed to be like that or not.. but I did enjoy what music there was!)

Also, I would tone down the grass texture a little more, its fine stationary, but when you move, its a little too much.

You're probably working on it, but, maybe add roofs? In that scene with the guy in the corner that says "shh", I walked towards the house and could see the inside, and walked through the doors and actually got inside (and the two looked different). if you just add a roof, the problem will be no more!  Smiley

the players walking animation is a little weird, its like he turns left then right to take one step in any direction (if that makes sense) .

had trouble exiting, I cant press alt+f4, or the exit button to exit i had to press escape and then 9. Kind of annoying but whatever.

Really liked the clouds, and the orange tree in the scene with the purpley house (and the people that dont really talk) you should definitely add more of them.

hmm what else... oh, maybe work on the art for the other people, couldnt really tell what I was exactly looking at most of the time.

Oh and maybe make the little paths the player walks on a little wider to allow for a little more wandering  Smiley

keep up the work, I love this game so far! (:
ravingloon
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

Quite impressive and does remind me of Yume Nikki.

I spent an hour and a half playing it, but could only find two eggs and two of the weird squiggly things.  Sad
rdein
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »

it's interesting. i got one egg and became a submarine, eventually got into deep waters but then i died/reverted to boy somehow. it sucks that you have to do everything again...
VDZ
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »

it's interesting. i got one egg and became a submarine, eventually got into deep waters but then i died/reverted to boy somehow. it sucks that you have to do everything again...
You don't, you only lost your submarine form. The egg remains collected, and any permanent changes you've done to the world remain. (If you want the submarine form back, you can recollect the egg.)
rdein
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »

im pretty sure i needed the submarine to progress (and become cloud, etc)

yeah i know some changes are still there, but doing everything to become egg again to get submarine form is lame
VDZ
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »

im pretty sure i needed the submarine to progress (and become cloud, etc)

yeah i know some changes are still there, but doing everything to become egg again to get submarine form is lame
Cloud has no advantages over submarine, and you can become cloud without submarine (I didn't get submarine until my final egg during my first run). Also, submarine/cloud is only necessary for a squiggly, AFAIK, which are only for getting alternate endings.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »

someone mentioned this on twitter, worth having others see. played for a bit, lovely atmosphere. a lot of useful material here for those looking to do some interesting world building for their games, similarly to yume nikki an those sorts of things..

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Rayiner
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »

It looks like great idea. But you should fix that resolution problems.
For me, everything was really blured Waaagh!
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

It looks like great idea. But you should fix that resolution problems.
For me, everything was really blured Waaagh!

The last post was about a year ago, I don't hink he's going to fix it

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic