Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:13:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNightmerica - Out Now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Nightmerica - Out Now!  (Read 18282 times)
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 01:56:33 AM »

At the moment we are implementing effects for weapons, which we are still toying with:
- Fire will deal more damage to enemies.
- Ice will temporarily stop enemies moving or hurting you.
- Exploding effects will have an area of damage...
- Lightning effects will also have an area of damage, with more damage depending on the number of enemies affected.
- Wind effect will push enemies back.

Does anyone have any other effect ideas or have any feedback on these? They're important for the game balance but its one of the areas we aren't completely in love with...  Undecided

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »

wow, so pretty style

Shocked

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you, given how pretty your game looks.

Today we implemented the first on the "special rounds" and made some diversity in the types of zombie you encounter early on. No pictures right now, I'll post a full update when I have the time!

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:50 AM »

Okay! Proper post, today I just fixed some minor bugs and added golden "special" gun crates. These will hold weapons that don't fit the mold of random guns, like mines, grenade launchers etc.

We got a title screen in too!

I also worked on the effect before special rounds occur, it's hard to see in screen caps though.

Which is why... I bring you TWO videos!

Video 1:

Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7BY0iiiwA&feature=youtu.be

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »

Features Added Today:
- New Crates for Health and Weapon Mods
- Weapon mod crates randomly change one stat of your current weapon, and are cheaper than gun crates
- New zombie subtypes, they don't all look the same now

Game's actually playable for the most part now, a few more interface and crate tweaks and we can do a public alpha build.

The new crates lead to me creating new spawn points for crates, and an icon for them. I also had to write the following giant steaming pile of poop in MMF because it's too dumb to handle objects not existing all the time.

Here are some normal screenshots showing off health crates etc.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »

Eeugh. MMF doesn't have any scripting, huh? That's kind of tough to deal with, I'd imagine.

Anyway, the shrimp's well-drawn. What does he do? The game's looking fun!

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »

Damnit, stop making me want to work on MafiaDuDes.

ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »

Nice game!  Cool name to!

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »

Eeugh. MMF doesn't have any scripting, huh? That's kind of tough to deal with, I'd imagine.

Anyway, the shrimp's well-drawn. What does he do? The game's looking fun!

You have access to Python and Lua interfaces but only when developing for the PC... So yeah, I'm thinking about trying out Unity for some future projects.

The shrimp is just a developer-eyes-only graphic haha, they mark the places where enemies / crates spawn which I mistyped as prawn once.

Damnit, stop making me want to work on MafiaDuDes.

Work on it!

Nice game!  Cool name to!

Thanks  Smiley

-

Today I just rigged the game to support joystick controls, which feels really nice actually. Really happy with how that feels, I played for a good 15 minutes just enjoying my own game which I don't think I've ever done before. Tonight I'll try and get special weapons or mods in!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »

You have access to Python and Lua interfaces but only when developing for the PC... So yeah, I'm thinking about trying out Unity for some future projects.

Ah, I see. A lot of people seem to like Unity - it seems like quality software.

Today I just rigged the game to support joystick controls, which feels really nice actually. Really happy with how that feels, I played for a good 15 minutes just enjoying my own game which I don't think I've ever done before. Tonight I'll try and get special weapons or mods in!

That is a good feeling, isn't it? Right up there with implementing something for the first time and having it work right out of the box. That's probably the high points of programming.

EDIT: Oh, and it's good that you rigged the game to support joystick controls. What kind of joystick do you have? Do you plan on having bind-able joystick controls?

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 03:24:06 AM »

EDIT: Oh, and it's good that you rigged the game to support joystick controls. What kind of joystick do you have? Do you plan on having bind-able joystick controls?

I've got a generic Logitech one, shaped exactly like a 360 one though. I intend to test that it works with the 360 controller at some point, and yeah bindable controls are planned. Shouldn't be too hard.

Features Added Today:
- Revamped the first post in the thread
- Implemented weapon mod boxes
- Added cost and purchasing to ammo / health packs
- Tweaked joystick / button placement
- Changed HUD a little bit

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 01:33:54 AM »

Big list!

Features Added Today:
- Made coins counters flash and purchase button will not appear if you have insufficient coins
- Made the first special weapon, mines
- Implemented a new purple cyclops enemy that follows you around in burst of movement
- Created demolition spiders, they are similar to normal spiders except they fire projectiles, do more damage and are stronger
- Created dinosaur enemy capable of following you and jumping over walls / obstacles
- Implemented a special stage for unlocking fire weapons, you begin in the dark and there are two torches you must light up using your pistol, once it is light enough your weapon gains the fire effect which does more damage
- If you get far enough, regular zombies become red zombies, which are just stronger and more powerful

There are also lots of tweaks and balances recently, and there will be many more to ensure the difficulty is sufficient. I also spent a good amount of time trying to work out what exactly future projects might be developed in, I've already got high hopes for Unity, and I spent some time with the free Construct classic today which is pretty nice - aside from the single platform export.

If anyone has the time or an option I might not be aware of please let me know, I'm looking for ability to export to Mac/PC/Linux from one environment mainly but Android/iOS is a bonus. Probably prefer scripting to visual logic.

Ashkin
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:51 AM »

Hey, you! Yeah you! The guy with the game!
I like this.
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 02:59:49 AM »

Hey, you! Yeah you! The guy with the game!
I like this.

Thankyou!

Features Added Today:
- Added in the pre-game menus to set your starting round and in future manage your guns / map to play / game mode
- Added in death! (finally)
- Saving your coins over multiple plays now works
- Fixed some bugs with special rounds
- Added a new special weapon - the sword (you can see it in the videos below)
- Fixed some enemy movement bugs leading to them getting stuck inside walls

We are aiming for an alpha demo for you guys by the end of this week (!!!). Still to come are more special rounds, implementation of unlocking certain features, more enemies and more maps! (more maps may bring more gameplay mechanics other than jump pads)

VIDEOS

Evil Evil Evil

Evil Evil Evil
Evil Evil Evil

Evil Evil Evil

I've started taking screencaps at the games native resolution to save myself time. Hope it's not too annoying to view the JPEGGY thumbnails from IMGUR. The full res linked pictures are clean.

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 03:31:08 AM »

This game is looking really really cool.
As for the boss' sprite, perhaps the Carrion Queen from the Binding of Isaac could be an inspiration.
Also, since the sword has a big handicap (it's range), maybe you should make it very powerful, so that it would take most common enemies down with a single hit.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 05:51:41 AM »

Yeah, it's looking pretty good. I agree with tchassin - The sword could be longer (since it seems actually difficult to hit enemies with it), and should probably be a one-hit KO for weaker enemies.

Did you think about adding the ability to shoot upwards? If not, then maybe you should give the spider that was jumping and shooting arcing beams a bit of a wait to allow the players to shoot at him when he lands.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »

This game is looking really really cool.
As for the boss' sprite, perhaps the Carrion Queen from the Binding of Isaac could be an inspiration.
Also, since the sword has a big handicap (it's range), maybe you should make it very powerful, so that it would take most common enemies down with a single hit.

Yeah I only just put the sword in and it's super unbalanced, I'm gonna increase the range / duration / power of the attack because it's basically
impossible not to get hurt right now. Thanks for the suggestion RE: appearance, that could be really cool actually! I'll try spriting it tonight.

Yeah, it's looking pretty good. I agree with tchassin - The sword could be longer (since it seems actually difficult to hit enemies with it), and should probably be a one-hit KO for weaker enemies.

Did you think about adding the ability to shoot upwards? If not, then maybe you should give the spider that was jumping and shooting arcing beams a bit of a wait to allow the players to shoot at him when he lands.

Same goes here regarding the sword, thanks for the suggestions - its obviously pretty useless right now haha.

Shooting upwards has been a tricky one, it makes complete sense on the computer but on iOS it's very easy to accidentally aim upward / not (depending on what you're doing). I'm not really okay with having different controls on pc vs iOS so I may have to just tweak enemies as you suggested. It's a tricky design descision though...

jakegreer1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »

Although, guns with negative gravity have bullets that shoot upwards to compromise this!

So much motivation, so little time!
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »

Today's list might not seem like much, but I did a fair bit behind the scenes

EDIT: some bizarre bug happened with export causing the game to behave really unpredictably, it's beyond my control and is another shortcoming of MMF2. I've had to roll back to last night's version and recode all the points below - sans the new enemy type.

Features Added Today:
  • Rewrote zombie AI, it's twice as efficient now. It was eating up a lot of CPU doing collision checks before so it's a bit better now. There are a lot of them though, and MMF is shit.
  • Added a pause functionality to the game, this was pretty trivial for once actually.
  • Modified the sword, as pictured below the slashes now move away from you and persist for longer, it's quite powerful too. I beat a whole round without taking a hit.
  • Fixed a weird bug where you could fuse a special weapon and a gun in a box and create some crazy hybrid.
  • Changed the appearance of weapon mod crates slightly as pictured below.
  • I also added a new enemy type, a bomb enemy that bounces around, settles then explodes leading to more bouncing.

Mod boxes are designed to be a bit of a gamble, as you can see below they put stats up or down. And can add or remove gun effects. It's a good way to fix a crappy gun or break a good one!

I also spent more time on this:

Than I am proud of. You swing from the poops by your tongue, it's a gameplay prototype.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:57:50 AM by vivavolt » Logged

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »

Okay, so, news time.

THE ALPHA VERSION IS READY(ish)

You can grab it from this page: http://voltic.site90.com/?page_id=48 which is on our temporary website. Please take care and read the information provided, it's very much alpha software.

Here are some images from the latest build:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:12:55 PM by vivavolt » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2012, 04:11:04 AM »

I tried it on Wave 235.  Unfortunately I didn't do too well. :3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic