Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:06:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSienna
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sienna  (Read 982 times)
SimonLarsen
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

▣  Sienna  ▣

Sienna is a simple, fast-paced platformer I've been sort-of working on the past two weeks.

The game is best described as a mix of Super Meat Boy and Canabalt. The game is currently a one-button-game and is designed around that, but this is not set in stone.

What is currently implemented
  • Core controls and gameplay
  • Some enemies
  • Some (temporary) sound effects

What needs to be implemented
  • Figure out why you're a cat jumping around (e.g. some goal)
  • Tilesets for the different chapters. I'm currently planning on three chapters:
    • The Caves
    • The Temple
    • The Mines
  • Multiplayer
  • Menus and other polish
  • Music - Anybody up for a collab?

Gameplay video of two test levels

Source code (GitHub)
Carefree games
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

Snazzy.

I noticed is that the spinning spikes look quite similar to the collectible stars. This might be a problem, especially since the player cannot stop to think.

edit: If there are not checkpoints already, I suggest implementing them.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »

Hmmm ... so, unless you memorize all the levels, this is pretty impossible.

SimonLarsen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »

Snazzy.

I noticed is that the spinning spikes look quite similar to the collectible stars. This might be a problem, especially since the player cannot stop to think.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll probably make the stars (which are checkpoints btw.) something else. Doesn't make that much sense anyway.

You say that like it's a bad thing. But you're right. The levels in the video were mostly made for finding bugs and such. I am however planning on keeping the levels pretty difficult and have plenty of checkpoints and extra lives. You're not supposed to be able to beat the levels on your first try.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

You could say the same thing about super meat boy.

Love the graphics, especially the colour scheme - looks pretty fun too. Would probably make a great mobile game.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »

I didn't mean it as a bad thing, no. There are certainly players out there who thrive on difficulty. Sadly, I suck at speedy precision games Concerned

But it looks good I have to say. You might want to change the blue floor texture (at 0:28 in the video). I thought that was water of some kind and I was expecting you to fall in any second. Or if that's there for trickery, keep it.

SimonLarsen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »

Love the graphics, especially the colour scheme - looks pretty fun too. Would probably make a great mobile game.

Thanks. I'm not much of an artist so the very limited, distinct color scheme really helps.

The game was actually intended to be a mobile game but since I don't own a smartphone it made more sense to make a PC version. Tongue

I didn't mean it as a bad thing, no. There are certainly players out there who thrive on difficulty. Sadly, I suck at speedy precision games Concerned

But it looks good I have to say. You might want to change the blue floor texture (at 0:28 in the video). I thought that was water of some kind and I was expecting you to fall in any second. Or if that's there for trickery, keep it.

I know, I was just joking around. Smiley I think you're right about the blue floor.

Thanks. I really appreciate any feedback I get.
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »

Nice game and I love the pixels so much Smiley I think this game needs lots of checkpoints as it looks hell difficult and beside if I missed a jump in that I die in opposite to super meat boy where I can manage to jump again Smiley

Nice game Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic