Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:27:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)XRhodes thread [v1.9.1 is released]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: XRhodes thread [v1.9.1 is released]  (Read 27240 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »

Ok, this might be a good time for a warning: forget everything between the OP and yesterday's v1.1 post.

Since this is the only place I've posted about XR that has a memory of the past, here's a more detailed list of changes (I might be editing this through the course of the next few days):
- we're using premake for build configuration; it's a godsend.
- only the core SDL remains as a dependency (for desktop versions, and that's all there is at the moment), not _image or _mixer (there are other dependencies such as libpng / tinyxml2);
- which brings us to -- bring your own audio library (for now - it was more of a priority to get the rest in a presentable shape and working correctly);
- it's worth emphasizing that you're no longer using OpenGL / SDL directly either; it's all neatly abstracted away. It'll be more important when getting on platforms that don't support either (and would generally benefit from less abstraction layers, due to restricted CPU / GPU).
- some higher level functionality such as particle systems or animations has also been remomved (for now, to be done better later), however there's (the beginnings of) an entity / component system, though that'll need more work.

The idea remains to take what you want from it, and add what you want your way - which is something complete engines may be resistant to.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »

v1.1.1 is out, supporting earlier GCCs. I'll try to not make the next version v1.1.1.1.

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2018, 02:49:41 AM »

Instead of libpng, you might want to take a look at https://github.com/nothings/stb stb_image.h, it allows image loading with just a single header file, removing one of your dependencies.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »

Hey Daid, Thank you for the suggestion.

I've considered it previously - already using stb_truetype -, but have decided against that time (mostly as 'ain't broken, don't fix it, plus some colleagues complaining about stb libraries' 'liberal' 'approach' to UB).

I might change my mind on this, but it's not a high priority.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2018, 02:56:18 AM »

What is UB?
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2018, 03:15:57 AM »

Undefined Behaviour.

I’ve found some suspect stuff myself, that certain compilers have rejected with warnings-> errors on (uninitialised variables — see the stb_truetype.h ‘fix’ for GCC v5.4 in the v1.1.1 patch). Having said that, I’m sure enough projects already use the stb libs so that realistically problematic errors are already weeded out, or that libpng comes with its own set of issues, I just trusted it more at that time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:49:45 AM by György Straub » Logged

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »

Funny, as my own engine is the other way around, I use libfreetype2 and stb_image. But I am considering swapping out libfreetype for stb_truetype. Found any issues with it?

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2018, 10:32:19 PM »

@Daid, sorry about the delayed reply. There was at least one .ttf that it has failed to load. The font was from one of these "free fonts" websites, but unfortunately that was one machine ago, so the memory of what it was, is lost.

v1.1.2 is out with some fixes BTW. I'm working on multi-threaded rendering at the moment.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »

v1.2.0 is out with a new multi-threaded rendering feature. This really just means a command queue that's processed on a dedicated, separate thread, but hey.

There's some bugfixes too.

Happy New Year!

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »

v1.3.0 bump with fixes / improvements to AssetPack and Callback<>.

Also added GameLoop and ReverseAdaptor<>.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »

v1.5.0 "WTF has happened to v1.4.0?" edition is out, chock full of Font fixes to allow (read: don't corrupt memory when trying to,) use a wider range of fonts.

Signed Distance Field generation is now optional; some might prefer their stretchy bitmap fonts (e.g. if not ever rotating / scaling text) to the sharp corner busting goodness that XR's humble SDF implementation provides.

(v1.4.0 was also out with text fixes. We're getting really rather un-bad at this text thing.)

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2019, 06:22:07 AM »

v1.6.0 is out as a way to celebrate Easter. The two main features are:

• new generic Animator (to replace Tweener and its auxilaries that were painful to look at);
  • all around Texture improvements, from fixes to mipmapping (also, support for mipmap filtering modes), cubemap support in Texture assets, and improvements to the way Texture assets can specify their creation options;

I'm also getting real good at deprecating stuff the standard C++11 way; oh boy. Cool

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 09:03:16 PM »

And now, what, v1.6.1? Who, Me?

I've finally managed to surgically remove my C++ programmer's hat, and used the opportunity to give some TLC to the build configuration. Result: a super easy to use template to create your own XR3-based projects. (Just add XR3_PATH to your environment, pointing at the root of the xr3 repo, copy template, modify a config file, and you're on.)

The rest is minor fixes and usability tweaks.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2020, 10:18:50 PM »

Well Hello! It's 2020 and we live in the future and XR v1.7.0 is released!

- Assets now support options, specified upon loading by appending $mysnazzyoption($anotherone($etc)) to the path;
- ShaderComponents and Shaders use this to configure #defines;
- There's a new SpriteSheet asset to supersede TexturePack;
- There's a Collage type for building texture atlases at runtime;
- Added support for sprite UV remapping;
- etc.!

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »

v.1.8.0 has been released!

- added .ktx support;
- floating point RGB texture formats are now supported;
- vector maths usage improvements (ComponentWise() API, scalar * vector expressions supported, Vector4 * Matrix4 operator, Matrix4::Invert());
- xr::ReturnSelf<> (for functions that return a function pointer of identical signature);
- xr::Stick<> (C++ string literals with built-in size and range based for support);
- xr::XonObject can be used in range based for loops to traverse its children;
- new image based lighting example;

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2021, 08:18:59 AM »

I guess I've slept through the last few releases, but v1.9.1 is out and boy does it fix some bugs.

retroblitayy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2021, 08:19:16 AM »

hello dev,

i am interested in returning to C/C++ dev scene and wanted to make a lightweight Domina inspired game clone (https://store.steampowered.com/app/535230/Domina/),

would your development environment/library be a good place to check out?
is there any hard limitations I would have to be aware?
do you have any recommended IDE for work with using it? I usually just get some TDM-GCC packages and somehow get it working right using Codeblocks as Codeblocks seems most complete (using some nightly repository or some such nonsense)

briefly the dev of Domina discussed his mesh animation tool for pixel images he created to churn out custom in-between frames, does your development set feature anything that could help in replicating this technology? (trying not to spend a ton of $$$$ buying spine2d)
(example video: https://youtu.be/eJD2Gxhc3ks?t=272 @ around 4:30 and demonstration 4:39)

anyway thanks again for your hard work I'll check out the lib regardless.

thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic