Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 03:53:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject gnh20. English letsplay added
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Project gnh20. English letsplay added  (Read 90960 times)
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37:56 AM »

MW, in this game, I plan to introduce a lot of complex mechanics. Many creatures. If I start draw graphics with animations for they all, it will be hard for me.

Look, without graphics I can do 100 creatures, with static picture I can made 20, and with good animation for each creature, I can add only few creatures in the whole game.

Tell me, what choice is better, do you think?

Just because of the cost-benefit analysis of having one-sprite-per-object in the game does not necessarily preclude you from having more fluid movement within the game's conception of time.

I was not worried about an issue of graphics or animation. What I was most worried about was the experience of flow within the game world. The build I played felt like it was caught in World 4 from Braid and that falling into a pit was the only way to actually feel time flow around you.

... it felt too uncanny, 'tis all.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »

toast_trip, yes. Cool

That's all, what I want to answer to such a huge post! Smiley Beer!
And yes, I am glad that this conversation might help you in your project. Always glad to see you here.

MW, still, there are other reasons for stepping mode.

The idea of this game - the whole world lives. Therefore, every step calculated the entire map of the world. If I want to count it 20 times per second to ensure smooth movement - I get the lack of performance for any CPU. Absolutely no way.

So this game is turn-based, and most likely this choice is the final version.

But thanks anyway. You're right, step mode in this game is not like many testers. Your feelings are correct.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »

Yeah, me too.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »

In last days I made three points in the project:

1. Creatures leveling! This is a great thing: some creatures grow up in they power when the player steps in some key points in the game. Now game will not turn too easy in the final part of the playing.

2. A stone ooze with many tentacles! Peaceful, inconspicuous, slow moving. He hide in the caves, and sometimes born an iron ore.

3. A special underground tree. With crystals on they foliage. Glow in the darkness.

Pictures:
-

-
Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

God that is so pretty. This excites me thoroughly  Kiss

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »

This is one of the best looking indie games i have seen! keep it up  Beer!

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2012, 09:16:19 PM »

The idea of this game - the whole world lives. Therefore, every step calculated the entire map of the world. If I want to count it 20 times per second to ensure smooth movement - I get the lack of performance for any CPU. Absolutely no way.

Your game is blowing my mind! This is just... so good.

One think to think about with the smooth scrolling though, is whether or not you can just scroll smoothly; think about how dragon warrior 1 works, everything still moves step-by-step; you could just show the player moving smoothly, animate the camera, and then update everything else instantly.

Really though I have no idea what I'm talking about, you should just do what you want to do because it's... so... good!
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2012, 12:51:36 AM »

Magnesium Ninja, Windybeard, thank you! Although I do not think my graphics is _so_ good. Smiley Here around so much wonderful projects!

PsySal, Yes, this option seems reasonable. The smoothness of walking I do not consider as a priority task. I think this is clear: in the first place the gameplay. But when there will be free time in the far future, I will try to implement this option. Thank you!

-------------

Meantime I created an water ooze. Inside it is possible to hide from the demons who are afraid of water, or under his protection of winning a living lava.

And yes, lava ooze is retextured!

In this picture two fighting oozes:
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2012, 03:43:32 AM »

Those graphics are rad as hell.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »

Those graphics are rad as hell.
Sorry, I'm due to poor language skills could not understand what you mean.
obsidian_golem
Level 0

Computer programmer / Google oracle

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »

He meant that those graphics are amazing. I agree completely.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2012, 04:53:37 AM »

obsidian_golem, Sharkoss, oh, thanks!  Gentleman

-------------

Today I am added to the dwarves the ability to use "unpredictable scrolls", that they have.

Now, before the fight they can unpredictably change the world. High volatility of the world - it's what the project need, I think!

Currently "unpredictable scrolls" can:
a) turn the creatures into some other
b) to tear down and throw the soil in random locations
c) the protagonist is teleported to the surface
d) form a lava, or lava turn into water and vice versa
e) to kill all the creatures near
f) dramatically increase the birth rate among all the creatures on the map

And I plan to add to these scrolls more options.

-------------

And then the question to all: What other changes in the global world it would be interesting to add to the effect of "unpredictable scrolls"?

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:37:03 AM by sb3dgraph » Logged
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »

Added light clouds in the sky background. Only the tone is higher or lower than the color of the sky.
-------------
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »

I know it has been said several times already, but I think it needs to be done at least once more. Beautiful graphics.

Thee clouds are a nice addition; however, I think they look a little odd with the sky's sharp gradient (I think that is what it is called). One possible solution is to make the clouds semi-transparent. If you do that then they will blend into the sky more.

Keep up the good work. One thing I really like are the tree roots going through the dirt. So often the trees just stop at the surface - including my game. It is a nice visual.

sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »

jmcmorris, all graphics handles my post-effect, which sets to her limited palette. So, unfortunately, clouds and sky gradient can not be more lenient.

And yes, I think the clouds need to make less. Now they are sitting too close.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »

Currently "unpredictable scrolls" can:
a) turn the creatures into some other
b) to tear down and throw the soil in random locations
c) the protagonist is teleported to the surface
d) form a lava, or lava turn into water and vice versa
e) to kill all the creatures near
f) dramatically increase the birth rate among all the creatures on the map

And I plan to add to these scrolls more options.

How about changing the spawning patterns for parts of the world? There's some set of algorithms that determine the structure of caves, how monsters behave, how many trees there are - and where they are - stuff like that.

So maybe a scroll changes the structure of certain caves in an area, to follow one pattern more so than another, or make the lava more dangerous in one area, or make all monsters "erratic" so they're more violent or move twice as fast or run away 30% of the time when they encounter the player. The more fundamental the game logic that a scroll alters, the more interesting the result. Though that may be obvious.... A scroll could make it night-time, or make all artificial light sources burn half as bright. I don't know. I haven't actually tried to play your game yet.... woah. I just look at the pictures.
waxx
Level 1

head to the right

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »

Probably one of the few retro pixelart games I'd like to play.
This is how Terraria should have looked like.

Good job sir.

Conker534
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »

This is so god damn gorgeous.
Wow I have my eyes on this now.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

jmcmorris, all graphics handles my post-effect, which sets to her limited palette. So, unfortunately, clouds and sky gradient can not be more lenient.
Isn't dithering an option?
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »

toast_trip, good ideas! Not all can be implemented, but the direction to think about you prompted to me.

The idea of ​​these scrolls including the fact that the player did not immediately notice the changes. But then he comes back, and there ohh!

waxx, thank you! Gentleman

But I want to draw attention to that I want to focus not on the graphics, but on what is happening in the game. On the mechanics of the game, the gameplay.

So with great interest, I would have heard the advice and opinions on the gameplay.

Conker, thanks!  Coffee

JobLeonard, unfortunately, my method of creating a palette and lighting does not support dithering.

At the same time dithering does not quite fit to the sky. He's too rough for the soft clouds.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic