Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:26:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRPG?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RPG?  (Read 1047 times)
Dialock
Level 0

Not dead yet.

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »

Hope it's no big deal scrapping what was here before...

So I came back to this RPG idea I had (that was in this devlog,) but abandoned due to it's scope being beyond my skills.  *spoilers*  Still is.

Switching to 3D because I figure I can fake it better then 2D (my cat is a better pixel artist and he refuses to help...with rent.)

Current project status is to land generation.

So far I've gone from this:

To this:

Right now I can generate 'chunks' inside of 'regions' near infinitely.  I just haven't figured out how to actually load parts of regions based on where the player is at.

End goal for terrain will be to generate an arbitrarily sized continent to base the game world on.

I admit I have been wasting a lot of time generating random terrain instead of working on the current problem.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:44:09 PM by Dialock » Logged

@CWIPRE
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »

An RPG!!! How many NPCs? Maybe you could try to make one really really good one first. Any idea of the RPG's scale...and everything else?

play hydlide 2
Dialock
Level 0

Not dead yet.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »

I figure no more 50 for small towns with larger cities being broken up in chunks.  Worry only about NPC on current map and it's children maps with all NPC's being approximated until needed. 

My next goal after getting a way to create maps was to make a test town to establish the backbone of the AI.  Hoping to have a town full of jealous, lusting, ignorant, greedy, friendly, etc. NPCs soon.

@CWIPRE
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »

This Doesn't Involve You!

Oh ... but ... okay Concerned

Dialock
Level 0

Not dead yet.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »

"This Doesn't Involve You" is the target name as I felt it encompassed the feel I wanted for the theme.  I have a couple of backups if I feel the current name is not well received.

I am still unsure what I want characters to look like.  I was thinking of oversize-exaggerated heads and features to better display emotions with tiny bodies. However, due to my inability to draw I had to resort to arrows to test my animation system.

I also worked on simple wandering code that might be good for dumb things like woodland critters.

For SG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou9quRDJRi0&feature=youtu.be

derp edit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:02:31 PM by Dialock » Logged

@CWIPRE
Dialock
Level 0

Not dead yet.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

Hope I can stay focused this time. Waaagh!

@CWIPRE
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic