Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:57:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)PIXEL WAR I : The Great Enlistment || Join up now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: PIXEL WAR I : The Great Enlistment || Join up now!  (Read 14078 times)
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »

PIXEL WARS I: The Great Enlistment

This will be the Greatest War Ever witnessed.  The pixel war.  Strap on your armor, pick up your mighty sword and begin to march for today is the day of pixel reckoning.  Time has just begun on this small tiny planet, there are no lasers, guns, or machines.  The only assets to a soldier of these days are his sharpened iron sword and possibly his trusty dinosaur.  This is a world full of violence and only the strongest survive and you are no exception to that rule.

The way the war will be played:
  Each contestant will create a pixel warrior that they will create to send into combat.  The goal is to create a soldier that will be able to dominate all others.

Phase I Enlistment:  This is where you will enlist your soldier.  In this phase each person will create their character and post it in the enlistment thread.(The thread your now reading)

Phase II WAR!:  This is where you will choose someone else's character and you will animate a small (or large if you want) combat scene depicting an epic battle between your characters, ending with your character being the victor (or you can make him/her lose if you want I guess)

THE SETTING:  The beginning of this new world was not long ago and Strange creatures now roam this hostile planet.  Life is not easy with little technology or tools, although some of the inhabitants have learned to forge iron into simple weapons.  The days are hot and the nights are brutally cold. There is no life for a weakling, only the strongest survive and to survive here means to kill.  As tribe's populations increased, the need for land and power increased as well. An area hidden deep within the jungle was discovered containing rare magical qualities. That land was rich with fruit and wild game. And the magical aura around the area gave anyone standing within it powers beyond belief.  Now a full blown war has begun for the capture of this sacred area. Tribes from all around the planet are joining in the bloody combat. Focusing all their time and energy on crafting better weapons and fighting techniques.  The time of the final battle is drawing near, the tribes have begun to pick their ultimate warrior and they will then begin their conquest.  Enlist your Warrior today and join the greatest battle ever witnessed, Pixel War I!

General Rules:
-People of all skill levels are encouraged to join! The more people , the more fun it will be. 
-Phase I will be one week long and Phase two will be 2 weeks long although these
are subject to change.
-There will be no official winners or losers everyone wins... unless you don't play.
-Don't submit your character if you don't want others to alter/use/and destroy your creation.

Art Rules:
-The characters must be pixel art. 
-No bigger than 50x50
-Must be your own creation and created specifically for this contest(you can't use
something you created previously or something that is not your own design)
-Characters should fit in with the Setting and the description of the universe that this war is set in.
-Character can be any kind of race as long as it fits in with the story (human,dinosaur,cat,alien)
-You may also submit a write-up about your character as well( background,special abilities,other interesting facts, etc.)
-If you would like to create an environment to share so others can create their animations on it that would be great too!

I thought this would be a fun community event to do and I kept the resolution pretty low so that we wont be working with higher res characters for animation.  I don't who will be interested in joining in but post in here if you want to join in the war, your works in progresses, any ideas or changes to the rules that you think would make it better.  I hope to see some people join, I think it could be a good learning experience and a lot of fun for everyone from experts to beginners in pixel art.  Good Luck!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »

I am way too down for this. If I were any downer I'd be up on the other side of the earth. If I were any downer I'd be mentally challenged. If I were any downer my name would be Debbie. I'm down like apples to Newton. Like bald men and new cars to pigeons. I'm so down that your down is above me. I'm so down that midgets have to crouch to look me in the eye. I'm down
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN

edit:
My tribe is called "THE KINGS OF GODS". We walk beyond reach of those few petty mortals who hold so dearly their lives. We have died a thousand deaths that we might learn to live. We have dared the grounds that burn feet, have beheld the lights that blind all others. We have, in single combat, felled beasts the size of mountains that had laid ruin to entire civilizations. In dying we have learned to survive. In living we have learned to kill. The weak have no place among our ranks. We are, together, a unit and, at the same time, we are each kings - gods - in our own right.

We will dominate - we will rule!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:01:10 PM by Xion » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »

I'm so down I'm a Cave Story ripoff.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »

Caliber9, you're the shit.

Sign me up. Should maybe have a couple guidelines/limits, though. I don't want to lose just because I have to animate someone else's 128 x 96 superpixel. Cool

But other than that, I (since it's the thing) am down.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »

ah, awesome! Glad to see you guys on-board.  Should be a lot of fun.
Chevy-Ray, Actually the guideline is that you character can not be more than 50x50. You must have missed it in the original post.  I felt your same concern about the size and since there already is a competition going on and I wanted it to be accessible to beginners I thought it wise to keep the size low.  Do you guys think the 50x50 is a good size?

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »

yes.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:53:01 PM »

48x48 is better  Wink

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »

ah, awesome! Glad to see you guys on-board.  Should be a lot of fun.
Chevy-Ray, Actually the guideline is that you character can not be more than 50x50. You must have missed it in the original post.  I felt your same concern about the size and since there already is a competition going on and I wanted it to be accessible to beginners I thought it wise to keep the size low.  Do you guys think the 50x50 is a good size?
I did miss it, though I don't know how. I thought I read the whole post :D

Yeah, I think that's a good size. My own will probably only be half that anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:29:04 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »

This sounds like a lot of work.
Good luck guys, let the best win Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »

I demand you all to fill this thread with awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 09:44:17 PM »

im DOWN with this.....expect a cow race peeps..... WTF

DO THE R.O.B!
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »

i'm gonna have to be a part of this. definitely. though i would consider myself leaning more toward the beginner pixel/animator. mostly.

so... do we enlist our characters yet? 'cause i've pixeled mine already.  Smiley

MacCaveman
Before the (de?)evolution of hairstyles know as the mullet, before there was 80's music or organized crime to dispose of, before there was pacifism, there was MacCaveman.

That's not rust you see on his entirely anachronistic wrench.

I am so looking forward to this.

edit:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:13:42 AM by andy0_0black » Logged

ChevyRay
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »

Can you make him without the black background?

Other than that, neat Smiley though if he's on a platform, he might be standing on one foot.
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »

pink back grounds for the win........hehehe mullets...

DO THE R.O.B!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 11:20:24 PM »

We are a tribe of tiny people.

Tiny, furious people.

This is Saqamo, King of Odin. He was born on the great plains of Ta-kun-as, as the only child of a hunter-woman and a warrior-man, who had left before his birth to seek enlightenment, as all of his people do, by combating and defeating their greatest challenger.
When it was his time to go on the same pilgrimage on which his father had left those many years ago, he set out empty-handed, saying "whatever I need, it will come to me."
And so it did - when fighting massive Stonebeast, he took note of the many weapons left behind by adventurers who had failed to slay the creature sticking out of its hide, like a great pincushion. In one swift move, Saqamo leapt onto the hulk's back, wrested a sword from 'twixt its massive, stonelike, plated hide, and cleft twain his adversary's right eye, ending the beast.
That is how his sword found him.
Later, while challenging a nest of the mighty Mountain Kraaws, he found a yew sapling perfectly bent into the shape of a bow. He took it up and, as a Kraaw swooped down towards him, he dove to the side and plucked from it a strong, fibrous whisker. Quickly tying the whisker to either end of the sapling, he then nocked his sword and let it fly, felling the Kraaw. He retrieved his sword and repeated the process until all the Kraaw lay dead upon the hard earth. Saqamo then plucked the feathers from each of the birds, making arrows of them.
That is how his bow found him.
He finally reached enlightenment when he faced off against a great Orrgthmal, named Suju, the Havoc of the South, and his army of Nurtonns. He singlehandedly, and with nothing more than an old, used sword, a branch and bird whisker, and a handful of feathers, slew 352 foes within a matter of hours.

That is why we of the tribe of The Kings of Gods choose to send Saqamo, King of Odin, Slayer of a Thousand Foes, to fight for the Sacred Land deep within the Jungle West of Home. We have no doubts that he will achieve anything less than total victory. We have no fears that he will bring us the world. A thousand ancestors have died to teach the lessons that he has learned, and now within Saqamo lies the power and knowledge of them all.

We will dominate - we will rule!!!

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 11:42:11 PM »

I'm not down, but I sure a shit am gonna get down to this.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 11:59:07 PM »

Xion, that was epic.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 12:02:16 AM »

just wondering are robotic characters allowed if there like interdimensional or does it have to be swords and armour kind of stuff....... Gentleman

DO THE R.O.B!
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 12:37:44 AM »

here comes The Necromancer.

Once a powerful wizard, thirst of knowledge, now the master of the Black Magic, in a quest to become the Final Litch and rule over the realms of Pixellia and all the pixel made creatures.

He can summon undeads and he can mutate in Litch drinking the blood of his enemies

And when you fight against him, death is the best thing that can happen to you, commonly he rape your soul and you join his army of undeads

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:00:41 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 02:26:04 AM »

"not only I've crash-landed, and my ship had become a heap of metal crap, but it's a freaking strange planet. one minute a horde of zombie dogs, now this gothic mushroom... I can barely stand the stink"
-- excerpt from the journal of Rhodes

No, Eclipse, that's an awesome necromancer. Beer!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:02:55 AM by !CE-9 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic