Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:39:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Beautiful fails.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Beautiful fails.  (Read 341173 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 11, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »

Messing with a timing value for the falling boulder trap..

I'm not touching you!
Fulby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: October 23, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »

The screen shot function in my game was broken and took the image of a star system from the XZ plane instead of overhead. It's meant to look like this:

Instead it looks like this:

I like it though - it could make good minimalist cover art for a space game or movie.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 23, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »

Such as this game? Wink You've already got the logo and all on there! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Fulby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1163 on: October 24, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

It was adding the logo that broke it Tongue. But no it wouldn't fit the feel of the game and I've draft cover art already.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 04, 2017, 03:41:36 AM »

Could add some unsettling, noisy background sounds to this and I'd have creepypasta material. Starting the program I get a black screen, but if I start resizing it, I randomly get distorted still frames of creepy monkey heads:

EDIT:
Now that I've fixed it, here's how to do it: forget to clear your FBO's depth buffer every frame. Gomez
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:33:02 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Dakutau
« Reply #1165 on: November 09, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »

Seems that the KO-animation does not take notice when the playerobject hit the ground.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1166 on: November 16, 2017, 04:27:18 AM »

I swear it's literally impossible to consistently get the Y axis right when writing gl rendering code  Tongue
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 16, 2017, 04:52:23 AM »

I used to have issues like that in the past, but ever since I started playing by OpenGL's rules (y is up/down rather than z, starts bottom left, positive is up) there have been zero issues (some 3D formats would still give me upside down UV's, but Khronos's own glTF format fixed that too). Highly recommended.

Can understand if it feels annoying to do it "upside down" if it's a 2D game and you're not used to it, but it's honestly a good idea. No ugly hacks and workarounds everywhere like layout(origin_upper_left) in shaders. Waaagh!

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1168 on: November 16, 2017, 05:30:57 AM »

I used to have issues like that in the past, but ever since I started playing by OpenGL's rules (y is up/down rather than z, starts bottom left, positive is up) there have been zero issues (some 3D formats would still give me upside down UV's, but Khronos's own glTF format fixed that too). Highly recommended.

Can understand if it feels annoying to do it "upside down" if it's a 2D game and you're not used to it, but it's honestly a good idea. No ugly hacks and workarounds everywhere like layout(origin_upper_left) in shaders. Waaagh!

Actually it turns out, no, positive Y is down in opengl. (...If you're rendering to a framebuffer.) Also, it was NOT fun to realize after a half hour that the reason I couldn't just fix it by flipping it vertically was because of back-face culling and forgetting to use a VBO other than the one that gets drawn right-way around when not rendering to a framebuffer.
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 16, 2017, 05:32:21 AM »

Or you just convert coordinates right before rendering. You have to do some sort of conversion from game units to pixels anyways right?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: November 16, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »

Yeah, not sure how 2D/ortho affects things yet… I've only done it the messy way in 2D/ortho and by GL's rules in 3D/perpective so far, so we'll have to see. But I've had no issues with regular textures loaded with stb_image nor with textures created at runtime by rendering into framebuffers when mapped onto objects; neither has been upside down, and I haven't had to flip any data anywhere after loading it, so I'm happy so far. Gomez

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1171 on: November 17, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »

Actually it turns out, no, positive Y is down in opengl. (...If you're rendering to a framebuffer.) Also, it was NOT fun to realize after a half hour that the reason I couldn't just fix it by flipping it vertically was because of back-face culling and forgetting to use a VBO other than the one that gets drawn right-way around when not rendering to a framebuffer.
Positive y is most definitely up, rendering to a frame buffer is exactly the same as rendering to the screen (which is a frame buffer, just one you don’t create explicitly). You’re most likely accessing the resulting texture in an inverted manner.
bitbulldotcom
Level 2

#indiedev since the #zxspectrum days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1172 on: December 01, 2017, 12:58:51 AM »

Messing with custom shaders to draw overlapping geometric shapes. This is one shader. Not remotely the effect I wa looking for but I thought it looked kind of cool nonetheless - may use something similar elsewhere in the game!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 02, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »

The effect might warrant an epilepsy warning though
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1174 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:44 AM »

Here is what happens when you mess up the axis Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: December 20, 2017, 12:46:27 AM »

Shader messup which was rather beautiful:

What I was actually trying to make and in the end managed to:

(voronoi cracks)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 20, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »

If I squint I can already see the intended Voronoi cracks in the background. How did it happen? It looks a lot like when I use too small integers for my range and get funky modulo effects due to integer overflow bugs.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 20, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »

I don't remember exactly when along the process this happened, but I used a triangular wave to make the voronoi lines jagged, so I think it has something to do with that since it made diamond shapes. Combined with gl_FragCoord maybe.

Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1178 on: January 06, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »

Shader messup which was rather beautiful:

This should be a hidden menu option in your game Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »

It was actually for someone else's game! Tongue