Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:01:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Beautiful fails.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Beautiful fails.  (Read 341546 times)
Tattomoosa
Level 0

Making The Decision Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1220 on: June 10, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1221 on: June 11, 2018, 12:05:13 AM »

You could hang that by the wall in some gallery. I like it. Got some explanation what I'm seeing there? What were you trying to achieve? What went wrong?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Tattomoosa
Level 0

Making The Decision Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1222 on: June 11, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »

You could hang that by the wall in some gallery. I like it. Got some explanation what I'm seeing there? What were you trying to achieve? What went wrong?

The location and rotation of a instantiated 'cloud cover' model was wrong. Unity using 'y' as the up axis causes me all sorts of little problems but most of them don't look that good. Smiley

I won't pollute this thread with a picture of a success but you can see how it's supposed to look in the first GIF in the Chess 4X Devlog.

MSThalamus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1223 on: July 12, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »

This fail came about as I was making a metal texture in Photoshop from a photo of our old scratched up cookie sheet. I had left a terracotta texture I'd made earlier in another layer, but it was completely hidden. Somehow focus ended up on the Mode drop down list without me knowing it, and I scrolled the mouse wheel to move the image down. It landed on Color Burn, and this was the result:

I loved it! I've used it extensively, with a lot of manipulation, to form the basis of background textures, UI frames, etc.. Probably my most useful ever "failure."
MSThalamus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1224 on: July 17, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »

I'm not sure this is a BEAUTIFUL fail, but it's definitely an interesting one. (I love bloopers!)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: July 17, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »

That might be my favourite in this entire thread. <3

verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1226 on: July 17, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »

That's quite the dress.

MSThalamus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1227 on: July 17, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »

Thanks you two! Smiley

This is what she's supposed to look like:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1228 on: July 20, 2018, 12:21:52 AM »

The one before was very horror game like!

Games:

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 25, 2018, 02:52:20 AM »

Just noticed, that after I changed some of my code - The upper layer (with objects) is misaligned with the bottom layer, giving the scene a somewhat floating experience (and a little nausea  Epileptic)

I think it's due to some floating point calculation. Well, gotta track down that bug!  Angry

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: August 25, 2018, 05:42:50 AM »

And now, 5 hours later I found the bug! Studid error (aren't most of them that?).

My loop looked something like this:

* Find visible objects (which also calculates screen coordinates)
* Update all objects
* Render

By changing it to

* Update all objects
* Find visible objects (which also calculates screen coordinates)
* Render

And the problem is solved : On the other hand, I did manage to optimize the function that finds visible objects, so it now runs 1-2 ms faster :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 26, 2018, 05:42:35 AM »

This is why I like ping-pong techniques (that is, separate old and new data so you don't accidentally overwrite the old data)
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 01, 2018, 07:11:20 AM »

Stupid, stupid robot!!! Fuck you! Spend 5 hours today to get your paths correct, and this is how you treat me???

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1233 on: October 12, 2018, 02:56:36 AM »

Working on some code that works with doom WADs.

Right now I'm working with a test that reads a certain graphic from the Doom 1 WAD and writes it to a bitmap file. It was working fine. It outputted an image like this:

Made what I thought were minor changes and now it outputs images like this:

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 12, 2018, 06:25:05 AM »

What a wonderful thing to have happen by accident.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1235 on: October 15, 2018, 03:27:55 AM »

Modern art by accident.

Games:

nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 30, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »

This one's from a bit ago, but I knew I couldn't leave without sharing something when I saw this thread.
So here is my own personal inadvertently intriguing failure in getting terrain generation to cooperate:

Here's a more recent one. An attempt at a heightmap-to-topographic-map shader had a habit of getting... interesting up close:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 09, 2019, 12:39:32 PM »

Thought I'd had animations properly implemented since some time, but after trying out a more complex model with weight painting in the engine last week, some nightmarish material surfaced to tell me promptly that it wasn't so…

Looked even more horrible taking into account those babies crying at the sight of it…

But in the end I got it working! The issue? I thought the weights would be normalised in the glTF file already but they weren't! Once I did it myself in-engine, that was it! ;_;

(also in case you're wondering, no, that's not the correct texture for that model, it's just the baby's texture!)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: January 09, 2019, 01:09:46 PM »

Thought I'd had animations properly implemented since some time, but after trying out a more complex model with weight painting in the engine last week, some nightmarish material surfaced to tell me promptly that it wasn't so…

Looked even more horrible taking into account those babies crying at the sight of it…

But in the end I got it working! The issue? I thought the weights would be normalised in the glTF file already but they weren't! Once I did it myself in-engine, that was it! ;_;

(also in case you're wondering, no, that's not the correct texture for that model, it's just the baby's texture!)
The screaming pikmin dudes really make those gifs Cheesy
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 09, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »

Nice

I also have a beautiful fail from yesterday when I switched from software rendering text on the fly to a texture atlas to speed up text drawing. I love debugging these sorts of things.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic