Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:55:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Beautiful fails.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Beautiful fails.  (Read 339560 times)
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »

This is pretty old, but my game had a pseudo-3D tunnel. I was doing some debugging with it and accidentally created an oblong sphere out of circles. It was kind of neat, since it would angle itself to the camera's position, too.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »

I'm writing a thing that does stuff.

You should make a bunch of presets for it and put them online for everyone to gawk at.

The thing it's supposed to do is actually pretty cool too, but I'm keeping that under my hat until I'm ready to start a devlog for the related game.  Grin

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »

...so then I thought, "Well, what if along with the color changes, the engine broke up the larger blocks, so that when you shot or jumped on some of 'em they could undulate a bit in 3D as a function of time?"

Oops!  Instead of the elapsed frame time, I had used microseconds since 01-01-1970.

Since the game logic was decoupled from rendering effects, you could still sort of see the structure and play...  If your family were immigrants from R'lyeh.

ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »

Holy shit vortex, best of the thread so far. That first one rocks my socks.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »

Holy shit vortex, best of the thread so far. That first one rocks my socks.

Same here.

Looks like the kind of views I want in my game!   Kiss

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »

@ChevRay & Klaim - heh, thanks!  Trying to edit and test levels with everything wobbling around nauseated my level designer, but wrapping my mind around the non-Euclidean space felt oddly peaceful to me... After a few hours everything else you look at starts to crawl around woosilly too.

Those pics are all from the same scene, just at slightly different times and view angles.  Have a peek at this timelapse gif (~2MB), if you like.  Every so often there's transdimensional "crease" of really warped space where stuff gets whisked off to infinity then flies back in from negative infinity...

BRB, Cthulhu's calling!

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »

Vortex -- please Vimeo this.  I recommend Debut if you're on Windows.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »

Back when I was getting used to using GM surfaces for the hallucination effects in Space Captain McCallery Ep. 3.  I think I went a bit overboard.

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »

Woah!  That's pretty trippy, Alec.  Kinda reminds me of the time I found a real life 1up, and ate it.

@Klaim, I've started working on some 3D GUI stuff too, that vid was pretty sweet. Seems like dyslexics might have an advantage in your game: they could still code upside-down and sideways?

Vortex -- please Vimeo this.

Hmm, well I could render out some .ogg/vorbis video, then upload it, but that sounds like too much work.

I didn't keep the binary, and I'd have to merge the revision with that bug back into one of the Windows runnable commits anyway.  In repayment for those cool 3D spirographtastic shots, you want me to just make a lin/win build?  Then you guys could play around with it as much as you like.

For now, more fail:

I was trying to make a "laser beam" like weapon out of particles, but I was a little shy on the acceleration and created a "plasma-saber".

After I got the beam working I noticed odd patterns appeared occasionally in the beam when bouncing it off a some level geometry.  By chance I had left a block in wire-frame mode while playing, and I soon discovered the issue...

Well, maybe the fail wasn't beautiful visually, but I was taken aback a bit.  The blocks were acting like a prismatic beam refracter, complete with internal reflection.  I got a little more in tune with the Universe that day.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:51:30 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 03:23:18 AM »

@Klaim, I've started working on some 3D GUI stuff too, that vid was pretty sweet. Seems like dyslexics might have an advantage in your game: they could still code upside-down and sideways?

Haha that might be true but only if they failed to protect themselves from other's attacks (aka "too late").

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:38 AM »

when I was trying out new distortion effects, i did something wrong with the red channel. those rectangles are actually working as intended.

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 04:22:38 AM »

@epcc - Neat!  Sort of modern artish.  Frame it and be a millionaire!  Grin

Here's that slithering voxelized dimention from the images above, in case anyone wants to play with it on Windows or Linux.  The level from the colorful pics wasn't made for this make-shift build -- all grey blocks are now enemies, so you'll have to make your own level if you want to actually play.  The clumsy editing controls aren't synched to the warped space in this one. That's probably for the best since I sped up the time step so you wouldn't have to wait for minutes to watch things change.  If you select stuff in regular edit view then hit [F6] to voxelize things, you can still drag the XYZ / handles and edit while it's all strange and wonderful.  I moved the grid out of the way for the above pics... Space warps even more with depth, so try moving blocks more in or out for more twisty effects.  The readme file should have the other key controls in it.

Not to be too of topic: More Fail

I wanted little sparks to spawn where the beam bounced off the blocks, but I made a disco inferno instead.

I overflowed a buffer.  It played with these weird skewed scan lines for a good minute before crashing the whole system.

If you zoom in, it's actually not gray, but stripes of red, green and blue.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:35:43 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 05:30:16 AM »

AI sent 1 bullet every loop instead of every 5 seconds like I expected. WTF

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:23 AM »

making a few different pixel blend algorithms for my bit of graphics code

first I got some simple alpha blending working

and then I tried to get a multiplication blend working

edit:

dammit
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:53:54 AM by _Madk » Logged
Marries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »

Awesome thread! I quickly recovered this screenshot from the trash:

I was creating a height field of sphere-thingies with spring physics on the GPU. The force applied on the springs was a few orders of magnitude too high...

burtonposey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »

From a very early prototype for my game Robots Love Ice Cream I humbly present

Hands (Almost) Across the World

I was trying to make sure they were orienting towards the center of the planet along their Y-axis and spawned a few too many.

Here's a follow up from not too long ago... at about 6am in the morning (where very small deposits of productivity and progress are made). I had the grow factor of the particle tweaked out a little too much.

This one is my Magnum (from Zoolander fame) YouTube link

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »

http://evanbalster.com/crap/glitch104.mov

Bug where every graphic in my engine used the same vertex array with different numbers of vertices.  This game made it look cooooool.

(apologies for download requirement; I say it's worth it, though...)

burtonposey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »

http://evanbalster.com/crap/glitch104.mov

Bug where every graphic in my engine used the same vertex array with different numbers of vertices.  This game made it look cooooool.

(apologies for download requirement; I say it's worth it, though...)

I don't know what it is, but I watch it and I feel like everything's going to be alright from here on out.  Smiley

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »

Bad trip! D:
AlwaysGeeky
Level 0

AlwaysGeeky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »

Ran out of background "track" while testing levels in XOP, proceeded to render the game w/o clearing the screen between each frame.

wow... wtf!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic