Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1359177 Posts in 63155 Topics- by 55005 Members - Latest Member: vellapanti

April 22, 2019, 07:05:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue's Souls
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Rogue's Souls  (Read 110926 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »

The former. 

I would just do a check to see if a door touches at least 2 floor pieces and if it doesn't, get rid of it.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »

That's a pretty neat idea actually! I guess I'll do that!

BTW, UPDATE: i just set up the basics for NPCs today. I'm basically treating them as non-aggressive monsters, which makes things easier for me and also enables stuff like turning them hostile when certain conditions are met etc. Im also going to introduce more of the story/theme stuff I have planned with that. The game is mainly about the mechanics, so it's not anything super deep or original but hopefully enough to create a bit of an atmosphere (I'm aiming for a Dark Souls-like vibe ofc)

Also, as I said, this is the last remaining core feature. After that it's all content design, tweaking and interface polish.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 04:22:04 PM »

Ok, I ran into a pretty crappy situation just now.  I opened a door, and found a bat right there.  I attacked him, got pretty unlucky and didn't kill him, and ran out of stamina.  At that point, nothing I could do helped.  If I ran away, he chased me and deprived me of stamina.  If I rested, he hit me and deprived me of stamina.  If I attacked, I couldn't attack because I didn't have stamina. 
I'm ok with dying, but feeling like there is nothing I can do for ~40 turns seems wrong.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »

XD kekeke... Yes, it does. Welcome to Rogue's Souls, b***h.

(Actually stamina drain on that is a little hard, and the bat could stand to have lower max stamina so that it's punishing, but not able to eat you whole.)

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »

Yeah I ran into situations like that too. What I've been thinking about is having a command to lower and raise your shield for free (you can theoretically already do that via readied weapons if your readied setup doesn't include a shield). Generally you can outrun most tough enemies even w/o using run mode and the enemies that are faster are also weak (rats and bats) so it should be ok to sustain a few hits to your HP to conserve stamina.

Oh and also make use of the "wait" command (. or numpad 5) often.
rdein
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »

im not gonna lie. i need a complete version of this. go. it's your duty now.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »

On the other hand, this is also how you learn not to get cornered by bats; and not to underestimate ANYTHING in the game. :b

I SAY LEAVE IT IN.  Evil

Uykered
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »

Is there going to be some atmospheric lighting? (like lighter tiles near the player and bonfires etc.)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 05:16:57 AM »

On the other hand, this is also how you learn not to get cornered by bats; and not to underestimate ANYTHING in the game. :b

I SAY LEAVE IT IN.  Evil

But there was nothing I could do.  I wasn't cornered.  I could run away all day, but the moved faster than me, attacked me, and drained stamina.  If I waited, it hit me and drained stamina at a rate faster than I could recharge it.  I went into the battle with full stamina.  I didn't underestimate anything, I just got a little unlucky at first and got stuck in a metaphorical pit with no escape. 

Like I said, I'm fine with dying.  Happens all the time in roguelikes.  But it is a fast thing that doesn't waste my time. 

I would suggest just making sure that the amount of stamina gained by resting is always greater than the amount of stamina that can be drained. That way the player can always trade a bit of health for stamina in a battle.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »

Idk if you're aware of this (I wouldnt hold it against you b/c the mechanics aren't very well documented atm) but stamina damage in combat only occurs while blocking. The idea is that fast enemies are also weak so taking a little bit of HP damage from them should be OK .
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »

How do you block? Does it happen by default?
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »

It has a certain chance of happening depending on what you have equipped in your left hand, though obv most non-shields have terrible block chances (or none at all) and stability ratings (a stat that determines stamina damage reduction). You can block with 2-handed weapons as well. They're usually somewhat better than 1-handed ones.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:18:11 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Oops, forgot to respond to this:

Is there going to be some atmospheric lighting? (like lighter tiles near the player and bonfires etc.)
I still haven't decided if I'll have a more complex FOV algorithm, but the old one needs some rewrites anyway. Dynamic lighting would be cool and if I do, it'll probably coincide with that.

UPDATE: Got NPCs working (dialog, buying items from merchants and turning hostile if attacked by the player). The same NPC can spawn on more than 1 dungeon level, but if they die, they won't respawn later. I made them randomly step around too, to avoid blocking access to parts of the dungeon. NPCs and monsters pretty much ignore each other right now, not sure if I'll change that.
Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »

this is a very interesting project.

I'll test it out as soon as I have a little time.

I really like the concept that's at the core of the gameplay and really like the games you named as inspiration.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:15 AM »

Thanks!

Just a quick heads-up: NPCs are fully working now. I implemented Fallsburg's door suggestion (FOV bugfix will have to wait until later for various reasons). Also made several changes to monster AI, new special abilities, and new content (including more dungeon levels and a new boss). There's still a few things left to do but I hope I can get a new build out tomorrow Smiley

Also I'll probably take a little detour with development soon and write a simple content editor for this game because managing all the data with just a text editing program is getting kinda annoying.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:27:57 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »

I just started working on 2 more minor features the other day (namely lockpicks and the third & final type of spell), and because it's only been 10 days since the last build I figured I could delay the new one a bit and release a bigger update later.  Wink
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »

i'll pick your lock Wink

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »

don't trigger a trap though Wink

On a less serious note, I just finished up lockpicks. Also opening chests works a little differently now. When you interact with a chest you'll get a bit of info about the difficulty of the lock (e.g. "This chest looks easy to open") and will be asked whether you want to attempt to open it. The game autodeclines on impossible chests. It's a bit less quick than the old method but it's more transparent. Previously there was no way to infer the difficulty of the lock unless you knew how level gen works.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »

OK, 0.5 build is out. The main new feature here are the NPCs, as discussed previously. There are also several more smaller features.

This is also a fairly big content update, with new monsters, new items, new starting classes and new dungeon levels. I'm pretty much done with feature implementation at this point (save for several minor ones) and am moving over to content design, balancing, polish etc.

Have fun.  Smiley
Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 03:01:16 AM »

After I equipped my Thief with Wooden Shortbow & bows, I pressed F for ranged combat but an Error window appeared:
Code:
for object o_player:

Data structure with index does not exist.
v0.5

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic