Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1400886 Posts in 67836 Topics- by 61359 Members - Latest Member: captainsisqo

May 17, 2022, 10:56:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue's Souls
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Author Topic: Rogue's Souls  (Read 122533 times)
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2013, 04:44:21 AM »

thanks!  Smiley

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »

do you have premade objects for each archetype and just set the data from the loaded file, or something else?

Something like that. The data is all stored in a bunch of ds_lists and ds_grids. For instance the monsters are ds_lists whose indexes are again stored in a master list. There's only 1 type of monster object, and each time I spawn a monster I create an instance of that object and set all the necessary variables according to the appropriate ds_list. I'm not sure if add_object would be slower or faster, but I'm assuming slower.

Hope that's clear enough  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:58:44 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged

PowRTocH
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »

this was meant to be in the last build but didnt make it. still subject to change

Damn, that looks nice. I kind of feel like it needs a new font though...
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2013, 01:49:48 AM »

thanks! yeah i feel that way too, i'm gonna experiment with different fonts and see what fits. i don't really know anything about graphic design and etc (as you can probably see from my UI haha) so i can pretty much just screw around until i get something that looks decent.

right now i'm trying to find ways to make the level layouts more interesting. one idea i have is crystal walls which you could shatter by attacking them and hurt monsters or yourself that way, but im gonna see how that actually pans out gameplay-wise. hidden rooms would be another one but that would just be adding another "tier" to my main path/side paths/locked path hierarchy of risk & reward. the main draw with the rooms would be that they wouldn't be generated according to normal levelgen rules.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2013, 02:36:22 AM »

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/illusory-wall
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2013, 03:26:12 AM »

dude ive played dark souls for 500+ hours i know what illusory walls are haha

but yeah thats how i would hide the hidden rooms. im just trying to come up with a fun way for the player to discover them
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:36:18 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 25, 2013, 05:38:16 AM »

"Attempting to drink a Flask while you have none will result in adjacent Illusory Walls disappearing"
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2013, 07:18:14 AM »

ok ive been taking a bit of a break from this for the past week but im  back to working on it now.

DEV UPDATE
Illusory walls & hidden rooms are in now. Discovery of the walls works via a hidden dice roll modified by your DEX and MAG stats as well as your proximity to the wall. If you bump into an illusory wall it disappears automatically. The hidden rooms are generated according to a different algorithm than the main level structure. Right now they can potentially contain keys and levers and I want to leave it that way but I'll see how it actually plays.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »

another DEV UPDATE:

I changed the way flask upgrades work: Previously you would get them automatically at certain altars. Now you can buy one at any altar in exchange for souls. As a consequence I made levelups slightly cheaper of course.

I've also been thinking of adding special treasure chests with fixed contents and cutting down on the randomly generated chests to make finding gear a little less random.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 28, 2013, 04:39:57 AM »

Studies are slowing me down again, but fixed chests are finally in now. I also fixed some bugs, tweaked a ton of things and added some stuff.

I'm probably going to release a new build sometime towards the end of next week. After that I have a huge content update planned. Also I'll finally start working on the endgame. Once that's finished it'll be mostly mechanics/balance tweaks and bugfixes and maybe some minor feature additions, if anything turns to out to be absolutely necessary.

I'm also thinking of making the source code public fairly soon, but I don't really know a lot about all the license stuff that goes with that.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 06, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »

DEV UPDATE
I originally wanted to release the new build today, but I decided on adding another feature: I made traps more frequent and more likely to trigger, which means they're a more significant part of the game now but also that they're a bit too unpredictable.

So I'm adding a new mechanic that gives you a chance to detect traps by waiting while standing on a chest. You'll also get 1 "free" trap detection roll everytime you step on a square with a chest on it.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2013, 03:56:22 AM »

OK, I finally have everything I wanted in this build. Expect a release later today.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »

HERE IT IS

Changelog:
Code:
-Added secret rooms and fake walls
-Added fixed chests
-Added detecting traps
-New items
-New dungeon tiles
-New status effects

-Raising/lowering your shield and switching readied weapons now takes time
-Equipping, using and dropping items now takes more time

-Changed flask upgrades: Instead of getting them for free at certain altars, you can now receive them at all altars in exchange for souls
-Changed antidote flasks: In addition to healing poison, they also make you immune to it for a limited period of time
-Chest locks now break more often
-Changed the way the teleport trap works

-Encumbrance messages are now only shown when enumbrance changes
-Color coded encumbrance in HUD

-Made levelups cheaper

-Sped up collision checks
-Fixed curse status effect
-Fixed an issue regarding showing the status screen with a ring equipped
-Other fixes and tweaks

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »

Btw, huge thanks to st33d for mentioning my game on the new roguelike radio episode (or at least I think it was st33d, you guys' voices were a bit hard for me to tell apart haha)

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: October 27, 2013, 04:20:31 AM »

Btw, huge thanks to st33d for mentioning my game on the new roguelike radio episode (or at least I think it was st33d, you guys' voices were a bit hard for me to tell apart haha)

'twas I, but you're very welcome Smiley.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2013, 04:33:25 AM »

Haha, great, thanks!  Smiley

Anyway, I'm slowed down by studies again at the moment and not doing a whole lot of work on the game. But what's up next is a bunch of new spells.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 10, 2013, 08:37:33 AM »

OK, so I've been sort of intermittently working on this over the past month. I added some new spells and increased the MAG requirements for casting them, as well as a bunch of other small tweaks.

So yeah, work is progressing slowly at the moment, in part because I'm really really really tired of playing this game and also because it's becoming too large to test everything on my own. So I might need to look for some people to semi-regularly playtest it once I enter the final balancing phase.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 16, 2013, 06:33:56 AM »

OK, I did some more work over the weekend. I added a new spell that reveals the entire map but only has 1 use and a ring that shows the contents of treasure chests.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2014, 07:39:31 AM »

I'm staying home with a cold at the moment and using up kleenexes like crazy. The positive side to this is that I've finally had the time to do some more work on this game.

I increased soul drop rates significantly across the board. Bosses will now give you enough souls to buy at least 1 or 2 levels. Also healing flasks now restore a percentage of your max HP instead of a fixed amount. Maybe I'll drop a new build next week, seeing as I haven't released anything since October.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 13, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »

OK, new build is finally out! This one adds new content and makes the game a lot more playable. As previously said, I increased soul drops across the board and boosted player starting stats.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3725770/roguessouls_0.96.rar

Full changelog in OP as always.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic