Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1400886 Posts in 67836 Topics- by 61359 Members - Latest Member: captainsisqo

May 17, 2022, 11:08:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue's Souls
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Author Topic: Rogue's Souls  (Read 122534 times)
Conker534
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »

This is pretty cool, i'll play it later. I really just wanted to follow this thread.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:38 AM »

thanks!

so ya, i tried porting this to GM studio (seeing as it's free now) but i discovered i'd have to rewrite my entire menu system from the ground up, as well as my debug functions. kinda doesn't seem worth it, but we'll see.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »

dude jump to unity now
- a unity annoying proselytism member

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2014, 02:22:10 AM »

im trying to learn unity at the moment (for my next game) but im 2stupid and im not used to 3d at all. :/

also im obv not going to port this game to unity haha.

Conker534
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2014, 07:54:10 AM »

Okay I finally played it, and I died within 3 rooms. I'm terrible at these kind of games, but I find them a lot of fun.

I'm determined to get farther.

Conker534
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2014, 07:56:50 AM »

Gah! died again!
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »

PROTIPS

be careful about aggroing too many enemies

pay attention to your block and dodge chances, they change depending on what you did last turn.

either drink stamina flasks or lower your shield (L key) if you're out of stamina

Conker534
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »

This is a really fun experience, I got way farther this time. Sadly I did not pay attention to my floor or stats before dying, maybe add character info to death screen?

Awesome game.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »

thanks, i'm glad you like it.  Smiley

you can check some of your past character stats in the tomb menu btw.

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »

I tried this today. I liked it. I suck but I'll keep trying.  Wizard

I feel like the interface could be a bit more intuitive. Using mouse, I was kind of lost, I skipped my first chest because I didn't knew how to open it. Unequipped my weapons and didn't know how to equip them again, etc. Keyboard worked 200x better for me.

The buttons could be arranged in a way that encourages its use. I missed the shield mechanic at first, and rage-quitted when a couple of bats gangbanged my stamina. (I would group the combat commands.)

Have you played Swift Swurd? If not, you might like it.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2014, 06:24:23 PM »

Gave it a try
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »

im trying to learn unity at the moment (for my next game) but im 2stupid and im not used to 3d at all. :/

Huh? There is 2D mode now dum

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2014, 03:14:39 AM »

Huh? There is 2D mode now dum

but i wanna mak a 3d gam next...

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »

Ah okay! can I help you?

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »

I feel like the interface could be a bit more intuitive. Using mouse, I was kind of lost, I skipped my first chest because I didn't knew how to open it. Unequipped my weapons and didn't know how to equip them again, etc. Keyboard worked 200x better for me.

yeah tbh i've been meaning to get some proper icons on these buttons instead of the letters (which i think will make them more intuitive as well as look nicer) but i keep prioritizing other shit. another idea is to have tutorial messages of some sort (toggleable ofc) because i know most people aren't going to read the manual.

another thing is that i don't really have "playtesters". 90% of the time it's just me testing everything and my personal taste is mouse for movement + keyboard for most everything else, so that's why "pure" mouse controls might be worse.

so yeah thanks for the feedback and i'm glad you like it.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:15:39 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2014, 05:13:42 AM »

Not sure if these issue have been reported before but I've had a few problems with the options menu.

1. Trying to close the program while in the options menu wipes the screen but doesn't kill the program.

2. Saving in the options menu didn't bring me back to the main menu.

3. Clicking graphics pack and then clicking cancel results in the graphics pack line being empty, which results in a crash on the next load.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »

2. Saving in the options menu didn't bring me back to the main menu
you save and exit by either pressing esc or right clicking. i just tried this a bunch of times changing different options and etc and it worked everytime. what did you do before trying to save?

the other things are good finds though, thanks. to be honest i never really considered the possibility of people trying any of that. i'll see if i can get a quick fix together.

One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »

This is really nice, glad to see the game progressing well up to 90%. I managed to get to 3rd level before a hobgoblin killed me Cheesy started out using a mouse but ended up preferring keyboard arrows to move around.

so ya, i tried porting this to GM studio (seeing as it's free now) but i discovered i'd have to rewrite my entire menu system from the ground up, as well as my debug functions. kinda doesn't seem worth it, but we'll see.

I know what you mean, some critical things got messed up when I tried porting my game over to GM studio. I figured lots of stuff needs to be rewritten which is something I can't afford to do time-wise.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »

you save and exit by either pressing esc or right clicking. i just tried this a bunch of times changing different options and etc and it worked everytime. what did you do before trying to save?

Tried it again on a different computer, esc didn't work in general and right click to exit stopped working when I changed an option.

Played the game a bit more and ran into some strange bugs, left clicking on enemies to attack doesn't always work for me and equipping a new piece of armour unequips the crossbow on a ranger.

The game is pretty good so far even though I suck at roguelikes, I really like the knockback effect.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 13, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »

ok i discovered what was wrong with mouse movement and fixed it. gonna try to fix the close button menu thing and the equipment unreadying problem as well and then upload a new build

also sorry, but exiting the options menu still works perfectly for me. maybe it's a game maker bug. what OS are you using?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic