Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1359244 Posts in 63166 Topics- by 55014 Members - Latest Member: Jack Bandai

April 23, 2019, 02:59:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue's Souls
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Rogue's Souls  (Read 110935 times)
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »

Thanks, that's a good find.

I already fixed it, it was just a typo in one of the data files. Basically you were quivering non-existent arrows lol.

Uploaded a new rar with the corrected file. Download location should be unchanged, but here's the link again anyway: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3725770/roguessouls_0.5.rar
rdein
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »

downloading

watch as i keep my position of "only person who beat the game"

will edit post later with details regarding my epique quest

lol edit 1: lame I DIED. are there no merchants or some way to buy healing items?

edit 2: make it so when you view an item in the inventory the game tells you whether your attack goes up etc
dunno if i'm being unlucky but I NEED MORE ALTARS

edit 3: found a guardian thing, wanna fight him but i cant level up or heal ;;

edit 4: you should make it so enemies drop equipment

edit 5: just died again on floor 4 ;; playing as soldier

edit 6: bug - managed to get -1 stamina haha. also died against maggot lord HMPH

edit 7: got negative health too

edit 8: S doesnt quit the game and it would be nice to know the differences between each class

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:38:18 PM by yes i did fanfic bye » Logged
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »

added new levels to this build just 4u baby <3
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

lol edit 1: lame I DIED. are there no merchants or some way to buy healing items?
first merchant (who sells healing items) appears on level 4 i think. NPCs are @s just like your player character and you can talk to them using the "interact" command (, g or space bar)

edit 2: make it so when you view an item in the inventory the game tells you whether your attack goes up etc
yeah that's a good idea i'll do that for the next build

dunno if i'm being unlucky but I NEED MORE ALTARS
altars appear every third level and then appear every other level after level 6 (iirc). i used to have the first couple altars on every 2nd level too but the problem was that you couldn't even use half of them due to lack of souls.

edit 4: you should make it so enemies drop equipment
some of them do.

edit 6: bug - managed to get -1 stamina haha. also died against maggot lord HMPH
haha yeah the -1 stamina thing started happening sometime during development. i didn't bother fixing it yet because it isn't really an issue Tongue

edit 7: got negative health too
yeah it displays negative health when you die. or do you mean you got it w/o dying?

edit 8: S doesnt quit the game and it would be nice to know the differences between each class
it's a capital S (i.e. shift + s). this is so it's harder to accidentally quit.

the classes are just starting packages. they determine your starting stats and equipment and that's it. right now there isn't a guide but you can open the dat\player\classes.txt file to take a look at them (and screw around w/ them if you want). what i've been thinking is maybe having text descriptions of them on the class selection screen. i don't want there to be too many stat dumps.

p.s. tip for defeating the exhumed guardian (there's no shame in running from him btw): unequip your shield if you have one. the maggots do very little damage but will take away all your stamina if you block them.

but yeah i think i need to make the game a little more forgiving overall, esp the healing. do you think making health regenerate faster would help?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:05:27 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:21 AM »

it's a capital S (i.e. shift + s). this is so it's harder to accidentally quit.
But you can't quit during the "startscreen/choose name/choose class/Building Levels" rooms. Maybe you should add a window with "Are you sure to quit? Y/N", even if you press "ESC" or "S"; I think it's more convenient.
Also, how to use the graphics tilesets (the "nhtiles/tiles" folders) ?

rdein
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:29 AM »

i didnt know there was health regeneration
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »

You can quit during the title screen by pressing esc. The name entry and class selection are fair enough though. Maybe I could do something like having Esc take you back to the previous menu. The "building level" phase is basically a loading screen.
rdein
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »

is it alright that i'm losing souls the more turns that pass?

bug i think: guy sold me 3 healing flasks but i only got one?

got to level 6 BUT THEN... i beat the game. i dunno.

i basically played without wasting any souls at the first altar and just holding 5 to heal lol. dunno if this is intended. at the second altar i saw i wasted just a few souls
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:34:19 AM by yes i did fanfic bye » Logged
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »

is it alright that i'm losing souls the more turns that pass?
yes

yeah i'll just make health regen a bit faster or start the player out with more health potions. might even do something like dark souls' estus flask that refills every time you visit an altar (only the first visit obv)

will look into the bug.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »

fixed the bug (another typo lol)

i have a few other things i want to do though (health and jerom's menu suggestion) so new build tomorrow.

EDIT: whoops, forgot to answer this, sorry:

Also, how to use the graphics tilesets (the "nhtiles/tiles" folders) ?
You can theoretically do that by opening settings.ini and changing the line "gfxfolder=ascii" to whatever the name of the file folder you want is.

the problem with that though is that both tilesets are incomplete and will most likely produce error messages at some point, so your best bet is copying the contents of one of the tile folders into the ascii folder.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:35:31 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
rdein
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

i remember the flasks in dark souls recovered like 75% of health, but in your game it recovers like 10 hp which is nothing
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »

It can even heal you fully if have it upgraded high enough and have low enough max HP.

But the thing is, you take a lot more damage in Souls than in my game. Most enemies can kill you in you in a couple hits. I don't really want to do that though because it'd be really frustrating with the rest of the mechanics (permadeath, no grinding, no backtracking etc.)

Anyway here's the plan:

1. no more health regen
2. no more randomly dropped healing potions
3. instead have a flask that you can use 3 times or 4 times, heals something like 50 hp and is refilled at every altar
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »

So yeah I decided to just go ahead and do what I said in my last post, except I'm keeping the slow old health regen for now. The flask heals 50 HP and has 4 uses per refill. I tested it a couple times and it works better than the old system I think but it obv still needs a whole lot of balancing.

Tell me what you think:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3725770/roguessouls_0.51.rar
rdein
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »

bug: open inventory, press H to select the item that says "h - ", it will display the last 30 messages

i saw an npc killing an enemy, that was really nice

i had one flask, bought 3 so i should have 4 but then i ended up with 3..

i died in floor 5, but i have no idea what happened. there was an enemy throwing shurikens i think?
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:12 AM »

Hmm, couldn't reproduce either of those.

1. Tried this with a couple different and items and always got the item description as mormal. what was the item you were trying to select?

2. you mean stamina flasks right? Are you sure you weren't looking at the amount of items the vendor has?

Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »

Maybe I missed it, I think I saw something about a second tileset, but what are your plans for graphics and sound?

Check out my game

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »

Alright, fishing that file now. o.o b

MANUAL UPDATE:

Using souls at altars to level. How you be doing?

(a) to Altar. No mention of that at all.

And (y) is not moving me Northwest. Huh?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:16:49 PM by baconman » Logged

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »

Maybe I missed it, I think I saw something about a second tileset, but what are your plans for graphics and sound?
The plan is to hook up with an artist in the future to get a good looking tileset done, or if all else fails, try to do it  myself. No plans for sound.

Using souls at altars to level. How you be doing?
"Interact" key (space bar, g or ,) while standing on or beside an altar, then select stats from the menu using the letters shown.

And (y) is not moving me Northwest
Just go to settings.ini and set "qwertz_mode" to 0. I normally do that for the releases but it looks like I forgot on this one, whoops.

(I use a German keyboard so I put in a toggle to switch the functions of z and y, that's why that's there)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2012, 05:02:02 AM »

It was pretty fun, even though I suck at roguelikes, this one was pretty easy to get into and understand.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2012, 05:55:48 AM »

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic