Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1398315 Posts in 67582 Topics- by 60903 Members - Latest Member: anastefanescu

January 22, 2022, 03:06:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue's Souls
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Rogue's Souls  (Read 120946 times)
Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2012, 07:22:08 AM »

Do you want sound or music?

Check out my game

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »

The game will most likely not have sound FX (personal taste). Regarding music, let's just say it's not on my feature list for the final version but I'm not averse to it.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »

UPDATE:

The game is feature complete in terms of mechanics now (and has been since the 0.5 release), so I'm mainly playtesting, balancing and bugfixing. 0.5 added a ton of new content, most of which is poorly balanced, so that's kinda necessary before adding more stuff. I also revised the healing system a bit: Your max number of flasks now increases every so often.

Furthermore, the next release, which is probably due sometime this month, will hopefully contain a little suprise of the visual kind Wink

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »

Just saw that my game got featured on the Indie RPGs blog. Big ups to Craig Stern!  Beer!

Anyway, I'm still mostly working on balancing, bugfixing and accessibility. For instance, I just combined the functions of the (a)pply and (w)ear keys into one (suggested way back on the first page by moi but unfortunately forgotten about). Also arrow packs and soul vessels are now automatically used when you pick them up.

BTW, when I said the game was feature complete, that was a lie Tongue The next version is going to contain the last big feature addition, namely more types of ranged weapons than just bows.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »

new build is OUT!

the most obvious change here is the tileset, kindly contributed by our very own Jerom, but there are a lot of other changes, as you can see in the changelog in the OP.

the only really new mechanic this time around is the multiple projectile types. other than that there are a ton of interface improvements, bugfixes and balance changes that (hopefully) make the game nicer to play.

DOWNLOAD https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3725770/roguessouls_0.6.rar
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:49:27 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »

Thanks!

BTW, ASCII mode is still available if any of you happen to prefer it. Just open settings.ini and replace the line "gfxfolder=tiles_new" with "gfxfolder=ascii". A proper options menu is one of the planned features for the next build.

dis astranagant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 01:03:01 PM »

Every ring I've found shows up like this

The game also likes to hang populating new levels after 7.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:13:47 PM by dis astranagant » Logged
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 01:31:37 PM »

ah so that must be the bug rdein was talking about earlier. pretty strange, but i just checked the code for displaying item stats and found the culprit. rings show up normally now.

thing with the levelgen lockups is, i was getting them before the release as well, but then changed a bunch of code that i THOUGHT fixed it because they stopped for me after that, but apparently that's not the case and i was just lucky.

anyway, i got a few other small things i want to do, so expect a new minor update in 1 or 2 days Smiley

dis astranagant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 01:43:55 PM »

I had some error popups happen when I attacked dudes on level 9 the first time I got there.  Wish I'd capped them.  Ran into a hobgoblin that just wouldn't die and hung populating 10.
rdein
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »

MURDEROUS NITPICKS

when you are choosing a class, make it so the description appears on the right, or under all the class names or something. it looks less messy that way!

new graphics are easier on the eyes, but i really liked the ascii look haha

pressing S to lower shield is a veeeeeeery nice shortcut

i still think the shop/monster drops dont help anything. whats the point of having enemies drop the starting equipment?

i got to floor 4 or 5 before meeting 10 enemies around an altar y ___ y
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »

I had some error popups happen when I attacked dudes on level 9 the first time I got there.  Wish I'd capped them.  Ran into a hobgoblin that just wouldn't die and hung populating 10.
Which dudes? And do you recall what the error message was?

when you are choosing a class, make it so the description appears on the right, or under all the class names or something. it looks less messy that way!
Yeah, not sure why I didn't do that. I'm dum at interface design haha.

i still think the shop/monster drops dont help anything. whats the point of having enemies drop the starting equipment?
Well the starting equipment is different for different classes. And later monsters drop more useful stuff. The idea behind the first merchant you meet is just to stock up on ammo and potions and buy a shield if you don't have one. I guess I can improve the monster drops a bit though.

dis astranagant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

How to get to level 6 or 7 basically every time:  start as soldier.  Kill pretty much everything, backing off to restore stamina when you're low.  Most enemies are too dumb to follow you around corners.  Put 2 points in endurance and one point in vitality when you get to the first altar.  Equip any shoes you find, especially "ragged shoes", which have the same stats except more magic defense that "rough leather boots".  If you find a long sword or crude long sword, you're set to kill pretty much anything you'll find.  When you get to the first shop, buy every stamina potion he has.  They don't do much but they'll save you life vs swarms and the guardian.  Speaking of which, rush him down before he gets too many dudes out, he usually drops a crude long sword or battered iron shield, both of which are nice.  Try not to fight corrupteds without a long sword, they're bad news if you can't kill them fast.  Buy more endurance and vitality at each altar, you'll usually be SL9 going into level 7.  Romance the Black whatever is a chump, smack him around and chug stamina pots as needed, he drops a vampiric rapier that you don't have near enough dex to use.
dis astranagant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »

I had some error popups happen when I attacked dudes on level 9 the first time I got there.  Wish I'd capped them.  Ran into a hobgoblin that just wouldn't die and hung populating 10.
Which dudes? And do you recall what the error message was?

All dudes on the floor.  It was something about the key press event.  I've been trying to reproduce it but I usually hang or get complacent before I get there.  There was also a random goblin scout that took tiny slivers of damage from my longsword.  I had 40 str since I cheated in some souls that run to see how much of a difference stats made.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »

Were you wearing a ring of penetration? Because I just looked through the data files and noticed a typo there. The goblin scout thing is pretty odd. Can't imagine why that would happen other than some sort of freak accident with the level scaling giving him a ton of health.

Everything else duly noted. Thanks a bunch Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:04:04 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged

dis astranagant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

I might have been.  Either that or it was the run where I found 2 rings of regeneration.

One thing I've noticed is that shields are very, very powerful.  You're basically invulnerable so long as you have stamina and a decent shield.  The heavy cudgel I found one game just couldn't compete with a battered iron shield and a crude longsword.

At this point it's not a matter of if the game's going to hang populating levels but when.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »

Yeah I'm kinda struggling to get two-handed weapons on par with 1h + shield combo. What do you suggest I do? Give shields a lower chance to block?  Give 2h weapons a higher block chance? Make the player still take HP damage while blocking?

dis astranagant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »

Not real sure, especially since even with the near invulnerability corrupted still find ways to tear me up.  In both of the Souls games 2h are useful more for their ability to attack from a distance than their ability to kill things quickly, which is hard to emulated in a roguelike.  Maybe go play a little ddrogue or princessrl and see if that gives you any ideas.  Making melee more tactical than mashing a direction into people will likely help balance things out.

Perhaps if you implemented some sort of semiactive dodging based on encumbrance, movement and weapon length.  Combine this with more detailed timing, so low encumbrance people with daggers get to dodge more by virtue of moving more often.  Encourage players to dodge around enemies and not just the boring ole I hit you hit I miss you hit again stuff that the genre can't seem to let go of.  When was the last time you just stood there trading blows in either Souls game?  Don't just pull the leveling mechanic, try to bring in the tactical gameplay.  Once that's there you can make things a lot more lethal instead of most of the enemies being little more than bits of popcorn in the way.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:01:50 PM by dis astranagant » Logged
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »

Haven't played either of those, i always forget checking out the 7drl entries. Will give em a spin.

BTW I finally found out what caused levelgen freezes and hopefully fixed it once and for all. I just generated level 8 like 50 times in a row with no issues. Im on a phone so I can't upload anything, but expect a new build tomorrow.

dis astranagant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »

To condense that megaedit a bit:  melee is this game's bread and butter, it deserves a lot of thought and probably a good bit of detail.  Cribbing the leveling mechanic from D*So and calling it a day just reeks of wasted potential.

I'm probably coming on a little too strong here but the things the player does the most really should be the most interesting parts.
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »

When was the last time you just stood there trading blows in either Souls game?
four kings in dark souls ng+ Tongue

I don't know if I want weapon length as an additional stat, but the rest sounds good to me, basically turnbased rolling and circle strafing.  One other thing I just thought of would be reducing block chance if you attacked last turn.

HOWEVER: the problem with taking too much from the Souls games and introducing too much detail is that demons and dark souls are 3d realtime action games, and a lot of stuff like weapon length and precise attack timing that's intuitive in a game like that can become very esoteric very quickly in a turn-based game with no animations.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic