Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:12:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJam:UK
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: TIGJam:UK  (Read 66815 times)
Corpus
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:43 AM »

Register here.

ORIGINAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

After overcoming several gnarly obstacles, possibly grappling with a bear and generally taking it to the max, I can at long last announce that TIGJam UK is going down. For reals.

TIGSource and Beatnik Games have joined forces, cackling away in their underground laboratories long into the night as they hacked together a being both terrible and beautiful: TIGJam. It's sure to be the best TIGJam ever thrown in the UK, and we're pretty excited about it.

Come along! It's a great chance to work on some games, meet people you know from the community (and people you don't) and generally have a good time. We've seen some really cool stuff, and some impressive collaborations, come out of the Arizona jam. Hopefully we'll be able to continue that tradition. For the people who'll just have submitted their entries to the IGF, it should also be a nice way to unwind and relax.

The registration fee is £25, which will cover the rental of the room over the 3 days, as well as the provision of snacks and refreshments. Space is limited, and we don't know how quickly these tickets will sell, so if you want to come, sign up as soon as possible. You can go here for registration and more information. If you want to bring your full rig, rather than just a laptop, you'll have to register it in addition to the standard ticket. It's only a further £1, but these tickets are very limited due to space. For people bringing rigs, Beatnik have a few spare monitors.

Even if you're not registered, you're welcome to pop in for a look at what's going on if you're in the area.

To encourage a bit of friendly competition, Beatnik will also be providing a generous prize for the best project of the Jam. What is it? Well, that's a secret.

That's all for now. We might announce a few more surprises before the time.

So, we hope to see you there! Any thoughts? Let us know in the comments or on the forums.

Also, many thanks to Rob of Beatnik, who's done a load of work getting the venue arranged. You rule!

ORIGINAL POST:

Terry suggested the very awesome idea of having multiple 'Jams simulaneously around the world, and a few people have seemed into the idea on the frontpage.

I thought I'd start a thread here to gauge interest in such a Jam. It's clear that the American offering will have plenty of attendants, but how many people would be up for it in the UK?

Also, where should we hold it? I think that London is an obvious choice, as it's highly accessible from pretty much everywhere in the UK and also fairly accessible from the Continent, if we end up with some of our European friends coming over. Still, London isn't very specific, so we'd need a place to actually hold it.

Are there any indie studios in the UK that would be willing to host it? Does anyone know of a place that we could rent out for the weekend (preferably on the cheap) with suitable facilities? That means, of course, wifi and a place to put beer.

So, guys, who's up for it? Got any ideas?

TIGJam:UK

It would be a good thing.

SOMETHING ELSE IN BIG WRITING

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:48:14 PM by Corpus » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:29:47 AM »

I'm notionally up for it yes.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:31:33 AM »

Yeah, count me in too Smiley As long as I've got a place to crash and somewhere to plug my laptop in I'm happy Beer!

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »

It would depend on when and how much it would cost, but I'd be up for it.

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:22:01 AM »

Would be cool if we had webcam streams from all the different events up at the same time. Smiley

Kind of like what FlashBang did with their halloween party back in the day.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »

Awesome. That is a must-have. Will be worth it just to broadcast Gravious streaking naked through the studio at 2AM with his bottle of sherry

increpare
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »

Yeah, count me in too Smiley As long as I've got a place to crash and somewhere to plug my laptop in I'm happy Beer!
Ditto, I think (schedule allowing)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »

Only if there's also a TIGJam: Canada  Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »

Only if there's also a TIGJam: Canada  Smiley

Dammit, I feel so torn now!

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »

Only if there's also a TIGJam: Mexico Smiley

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »

Knowing my luck this'll happen just as I go to Canada...  Angry

Last release: sync::routine
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »

Awesome. That is a must-have. Will be worth it just to broadcast Gravious streaking naked through the studio at 2AM with his bottle of sherry

Its almost as if you have a secret webcam on me already

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »

count me in Grin

olücæbelel
Corpus
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 02:46:13 PM »

Would be cool if we had webcam streams from all the different events up at the same time. Smiley

Kind of like what FlashBang did with their halloween party back in the day.

I had a vision of this in the bath today.

I was naked at the time, and I wasn't sure if it would be a thing people would like, but it looks like quite a few people have had the idea too.

How did FlashBang do it? I was thinking of seeing if we could get projectors throwing the other jam's stream onto a wall, like a big window onto the other side of the world.

Anyway, does anyone know of a place that we could use? I'm looking into it, but I'm not a Londoner so any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:58:49 PM by Corpus » Logged
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »

I have a projector that could be used for such a Window.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »

Anyway, does anyone know of a place that we could use? I'm looking into it, but I'm not a Londoner so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Definitely a pressing issue Shocked We're probably not going to find a small London based studio to look after us, so maybe we could look about renting a room somewhere? (which would mean changing an admission to cover the cost Sad ). Depends on how many of us there are, I suppose - I can't really think of a good solution to this. A conference room in a hotel would probably cost a fortune, but I can't think of anywhere else we could go...

increpare
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »

A conference room in a hotel would probably cost a fortune, but I can't think of anywhere else we could go...
Unless there's somebody in college in london that might be able get us such a place for cheap/free.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »

So, any progress on that? There's no way this'll happen unless we sort that out... And the sooner the better - I have to book a flight!  Beer!

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 12:32:38 AM »

I would SO like to attend but school and flight fees keep me from doing so...

Corpus
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 02:18:36 AM »

I haven't been slacking off, don't worry. I've been looking for venues in London on quite a few venues-in-London-finding sort of websites, but the problem is that they're all intended for Big Business and would cost us £400 a day.

Obviously, that's not even worth considering.

I think we need to find a cafe or church hall or something like that, though I don't know how many church halls would have wifi access.

Ideally, we could find someone with a flat in London who could host it. Better yet would be to get an indie studio to host us, but, really, the only UK indie studios I know of near London are Introversion and Media Molecule, and I somehow doubt that's going to happen.

Then again... do you think it might be worth a try?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic