Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:26:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJam:UK
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: TIGJam:UK  (Read 67158 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:49:04 AM »

Well, I have a flat in London but it's not very big. I guess I could try hosting the event Smiley Are the fonts on the forum screwed up for anyone else?

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 03:17:09 AM »

You'll need to get a good idea of numbers to see what size of place will be required to host it.  No point putting lots of work into finding somewhere and then having twice as many people as can fit wanting to come.

It might be easier to find somewhere if we don't insist on having it at the same time as the USA one.  Simultaneity is cool though.

Then again... do you think it might be worth a try?

Can't hurt to send out a couple of emails I guess?
Corpus
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 04:04:49 AM »

I'll follow your beard anywhere, brog. WHY ARE THE FONTS SO BIG?

That would be awesome, haowan. And yeah... it might be a good idea to make a frontpage post about it to get an idea of how many people are coming. I'll start working on a poster for it (it'll be fun, if nothing else).
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 04:32:40 AM »

It's a last resort, as I have a wife and stuff.

Corpus
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 06:27:37 AM »

Yeah, I understand that. I mean just an initial poster to get people interested and see how many people want to come, without including final details such as location or whatevever.
increpare
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 07:07:12 AM »

Are there any spacious internet cafes that could be rented out for the occasion?  I know that's not indy, but.  HMMMMM.  There must be *somewhere* that would be good for this sort of stuff.  What about trying to get/rent an art workshop/studio or gallery somewhere?

As for poster, someone do one! I guess there's no reason to do the whole 'calling dibs' thing; the more posters the merrier, right?  Grin  Let's just get some done.

(I'm technically conferencing it up at the moment, so don't have much time to do stuff...).
gonzorob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 08:30:13 AM »

Im up for this.

As i live/work in London - I'm going to suggest we do it there  Gentleman

Robin

increpare
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 08:40:58 AM »

Im up for this.

Any suggestions as to where in London to do it though?
Corpus
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »

Yeah, since places like cafés with back rooms we could rent for the weekend are kinda difficult to find on google, we need a pair of eyes on the streets. There must be someone who enjoys their coffee shops in London.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 02:16:34 AM »

Coffee shops in London? I can't afford that stuff :D

Also, while Introversion are definitely worth a try, our proposed TIGJam date is a week after Multiwinia launches. I'm sure they'll be quite busy Wink

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out in the next week or so and ask around. Smiley

olücæbelel
gonzorob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 02:52:32 AM »

Im up for this.

Any suggestions as to where in London to do it though?
Our office is on the south-bank (opposite Westminster). We've got this place pretty darn cheap - im certain there are conference centres near here (or near Victoria) that can be hired out for the day

I’m happy to look into it if people want.

Also, had a chat with one of our programmers – he seems pretty keen. Unfortunately we do have some horrific deadlines coming at the end of September so we might be working on some weekends  Cry

Cheers
Robin

increpare
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 04:01:01 AM »

Please do!
gonzorob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 05:23:19 AM »

Please do!
Right, for the office building we're in (which is pretty much the cheapest in London) the prices are :

http://www.workspacegroup.co.uk/london-commercial-property/offices/south-east-london/southbank-house/meeting-events-space/

(to save you looking at the link it's £330 for a room that fits 25 people for a day... )

The building is nothing fancy -  what do you expect for a struggling indie games company Wink

Robin

Corpus
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 05:52:04 AM »

Well, yeah, that's the problem - ideally, we want do have the place we're going for the weekend, not just for one day.

Something as expensive as that really needs to be a last resort (but, then, I'm not sure we can get anything cheaper).

If it comes to that, a day could still be just as awesome as a weekend, though, so it's a definite possibility, and obviously very helpful. Thanks! Grin

As an aside, which indie games company do you work for? I really think we need to work on compiling a definitive, or near-definitive list of indie studios around the world. TIGdb could potentially be a perfect platform for that, but it's still very limited.

EDIT: Okay, it's in your signature Embarrassed I couldn't see it on the Topic Summary.
increpare
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 05:52:54 AM »

If 25 of us went, for three days, that'd be what, a little 40 pounds each?  Hmmm.

Maybe for one day though it'd be okay.  And we could do something else for the other couple of days? 
Corpus
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 06:01:47 AM »

Well, the US Jam is $50, I suppose. That's only £25, but taking the economical situation over there into account its actual value probably translates across fairly evenly, I guess. Still, £40 is probably too much for a lot of people. Also, we'd still need money for buying beer, which might be better to include in an entry fee rather than have people bring their own.

Then again, the "weekend" would probably actually only include half of friday and half of sunday for a lot of people, so it would be more like 2 days. The 25-person room charges by the hour if you're not going for a full day, which would be too expensive, but the 22-person is £110 for a half day and £200 for a day, so that would be £420, or £20 per person for 22 people.

We could probably squeeze a few extra people in anyway. It looks pretty spacious on the virtual tour. Actually, that might not be an option, what with fire safety regulations.

I'll ring them up and see if we'd be able to get a fixed half day rate on the 25-man.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 08:17:05 AM »

Their definition of a day could differ a lot from ours, mind. They probably close at 6pm or something like that. What we really need is somewhere that stays open all night.

gonzorob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »

Their definition of a day could differ a lot from ours, mind. They probably close at 6pm or something like that. What we really need is somewhere that stays open all night.

Where i'm at is open 24hours (useful for all-nighters!)

However, I agree, we'd probably want something less office-like.

What about a pub Wink ?

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »

Is anybody at a London University? I remember the game design society at my uni basically hired out a few rooms for game design comps or just console all nighters. And if it's a lecture room, you might even get a projector! Tongue

Last release: sync::routine
gonzorob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »

Is anybody at a London University? I remember the game design society at my uni basically hired out a few rooms for game design comps or just console all nighters. And if it's a lecture room, you might even get a projector! Tongue

That's a great idea! I'll make a few calls tomorrow, see what I can find out....

Everyone in the office seems pretty excited about this! Let's hope we can get it sorted...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic