Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:37:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVertex - Action/Exploration Platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Vertex - Action/Exploration Platformer  (Read 33527 times)
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »

This game looks great. How do you make your 1080p vids on youtube?

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »

This game looks great. How do you make your 1080p vids on youtube?

Thanks! I used CamStudio to record the game play, nothing special. It just took a while to adjust the settings to be able to record the game well. In the teaser video, I just used Windows Live Movie Maker to split up the footage and overlay music.
iEnjoyFreeBacon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »

This game is great! controls are solid, art is gorgeous and story is good, one thing I think is a little distracting (for my setup anyways) is I am getting tear lines while the game is trying to render...maybe you need vsync to fix that?

You prolly are I doubt?
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »

This game is great! controls are solid, art is gorgeous and story is good, one thing I think is a little distracting (for my setup anyways) is I am getting tear lines while the game is trying to render...maybe you need vsync to fix that?

Tear lines? That's new. Is anyone else having this problem? It could be your setup, because I've never seen that before. I may look into vsync, but a quick Google search shows me that people generally don't like it.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 02:37:08 AM »

Do you do the art yourself? Or do you have an artist?

Either way it is incredible! I would have press-art for that game happily as a desktop background.
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »

Do you do the art yourself? Or do you have an artist?

Either way it is incredible! I would have press-art for that game happily as a desktop background.

With a just few exceptions, I do everything in this game myself. The art, the music, the sounds, the story writing, the planning, the programming. Those exceptions are things like the motion engine, a few sounds, and a few other engines like Chevy Ray's screen scaling engine and the likes. Basically, everything that's not listed in the credits as someone else's work is my own work.

Speaking of the art, time and time again I've found myself unsatisfied with the Garden tileset. It never seems to be on par with the rest of the game's graphics. So I decided to try redoing it, and here's the result. What do you all think?

This is the older one, for comparison:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:53:01 AM by iMoose » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »

Far better than the old version. The fountain could be brighter if it's supposed to be in the foreground. Otherwise, I would just add some depth to the bricks - they're really flat. Show a bit of the sides. Just an idea.

falleco
Level 0

Be like water!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »

Wow, really cool! Following! Are you coding and doing the graphics by yourself?

Tongue first try
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

No offense, but did you read his post or just look at the pictures?

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

I like the older tiles better. The new ones seem like the dark edge of the grass is too distracting, and also I like the lighter colored dirt because it matches the brightness of the other tiles in the scene(has the same overall mood).

Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »

@SolarLune: Good crits, I agree the bricks are pretty flat. I like how they look in the Dungeon and Vertex themselves, though. The fountain is just a background object, but with the new colors of the grass it may need some slightly new colors as well.

@AlexHW: Agreed on all fronts. I've changed the outline color to be bluish instead of reddish, which helps a lot to make it more soft. I also increased the brightness of everything (but I'm trying not to make it too bright; that was a mistake I made with the first tileset). I'm still trying to match that soft, warm, and overgrown feeling of the old tileset. Here's an update, which I think is much better than before:

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »

looks better. The only thing that bothers me is that the grass is looking kind of neon- not sure if that matters to you.

Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »

looks better. The only thing that bothers me is that the grass is looking kind of neon- not sure if that matters to you.
What do you think of this? It's just a slight change, but it might do the trick. I'm trying to find a good balance between high saturation to look bright and happy, and low saturation to look more realistic (and easier on the eyes!).

Your guys' input is really appreciated, by the way.

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »

What do you think of this?
that pleases me Hand Thumbs Up Left
looks a bit more balanced now.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »

I liked the dark color of the original new grass, hah. It's better than the original, but it's a bit annoying in how bright (as in value, not saturation) it is.

Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »

Hey guys! I started back in school in early September and have only recently (as in the last 4 or 5 days) had any time or energy to work on Vertex. BUT! I've made some nice progress that I thought I'd share in the form of some more screen shots:

The Fire Serpent's Temple is almost complete. I'm extremely happy how it's turned out, and quite excited to see people play it. It's got a nice balance of action and puzzles, very Zelda-inspired.

In other news, I've got some nice new plans for the other parts, made a brand new fresh weapon for Edgar, and thought out a lot of the details in the parts I have yet to make that I've been pretty shady on up to this point.

@SolarLune: Been over a month since I've looked at those tiles, and with fresh eyes, I think I like the darker grass too. I'll come back to that later, I guess.
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »

Another update on the Fire Serpent Temple! The whole temple is almost finished. I don't have any screenies that are much different from the ones already here... but I do have some new boss music for the Serpent!

Check it ooouuuuut
zolointo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 03:58:56 AM »

Any news for 2013?
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »

My favorite game on front page, yeah!! But wait a minute, iMoose's last post 28 October 2012 NOOOOOOO!!!!!  Cry
iMoose, if you see this message you must know that I played the demo and fell in love with your game! Adorable graphics, great gameplay and MUSIC!!!

Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

I'm so grateful that you all enjoy my game so much--really! Rest assured, my plans for this game are still strong and I'm just as excited to see it done and released as any of you are. But that date is still a long way off; truth is, progress here has been very slow in the last several months. Amid all the things I'm usually busy with, I'm a month away from graduating high school, so my time is packed with all kinds of end-of-the-year projects, work, etc., along with preparation for college.

As for 2013, the most I can promise right now is more of what I've been doing in this thread: screenshots, music, videos, and so forth. I realize that my extended absence would indicate that no progress has been made, but you'll be happy to know that I have done quite a lot since I last gave an update. When I have a little more variety of progress to show, and I find a way to record game play on Windows 8, I'll post a video showing some of the new environments.

Thank you all for your excitement and patience!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic