Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:19:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingArakion - Old school RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Arakion - Old school RPG  (Read 6529 times)
Lavidimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

Good news my power has stabilized and I'll be back to updating, I'm a bit behind on my goal sheet at the moment but there will be a large update tomorrow through sunday!

At the moment my biggest issue is I'm using uScript, and until they fix vital errors I'm having to find workarounds to it's massive amount of errors. If I had known that it was going to be this big of an issue I would have used the other visual programming or just learned to program without visual. But since I don't feel like starting over I'm going to wait a couple weeks to see if they fix their errors, they keep saying "this week", but we'll see.

Great art.

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. I've been busy catching up I was almost 2 weeks down after vacation had power issues.

Awesome 3D art man. Looking forward to this! Always feel free to drop a line if you need some unity/programming help.

Thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on that eventually.

Certainly looking great, and since I don't really know which part of what's shown in the video is finished and which part isn't. So, if I'm commenting on unfinished stuff, I apologize.

Based from what I've seen in the video, individual artwork looks great and polished, but overall, it still looks like a test level with random object place here and there for development purposes. So, if that is your test level, then no problem there Hand Thumbs Up Left

Same with the UI, the layout still looks a little messy, which is totally fine if it's still being worked on.

Overall, this is looking great Smiley And you definitely got skills. I love old-school RPG, so I'll be looking out for this one.

At the moment I'm just putting stuff in as I finish it or putting box placeholders. So there is still a lot to do and this is sort of a two fold level, it's a test level but will also be the tutorial level.

Rad low poly (ish) models, gonna be a lost art soon me thinks.

Unless it becomes some kind of 3D equivalent to pixel art...

Not quite sure what you mean but thanks for the kudos in any case.
Lavidimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

Updated the front page with Monk clothing as well as class and race cards, check em out!

poe
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »

Those are some very visible nipples.  Well, hello there!
Kiriban
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »

Hand Money Right
Lavidimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »

Those are some very visible nipples.  Well, hello there!

Gentleman You sir, are welcome!

Hand Money Right

So much said with one emoticon, Thanks!
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »

Wow. Faery fable style races? And weird astral plane levels? Very interesting!

However, Might & Magic implies wide open areas, yet the layout of the level shown is more Dungeon Master.

More worrying is that female monk. Feels very out of place, and her weapon doesn't seem to work. Ever considered having no races to be human? (Perhaps have some enemies human instead?)

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »

Looks great :D can't wait to play it
James Rossi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 06:32:39 PM »

That Monk is awful. It is pretty much the perfect summation of terrible character design in video games. So good job on scraping the bottom of that barrel I guess.

I Help These Guys:
Dino D-Day
Lazy Brain Games
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »

Her face and hair are good, but I agree with James, especially the weapon and the bra, and the skin.

Lavidimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »

Had not updated this thread in a while, my bad on that.

Some updates!
Changed the female monk clothing and screenshot of an environment. Side note, the weapons aren't finished, so I was just using a simple un-textured one when I posted her.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »

The weapon is still atrocious. The human character model also seems... "off" somehow. Not uncanny valley, but definitely unpleasant valley. Also, isn't this old school? Shouldn't we be able to dress up in all kinds of different gear, and not some JRPG garb?

Apparently my first impression of a more etheral, fae themed RPG was wrong, as this last screenshot seems more standard fantasy. Well, oldschool is always nice to see, but it would be cool to see old school updated with a modern theme.

Lavidimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »

The weapon is still atrocious. The human character model also seems... "off" somehow. Not uncanny valley, but definitely unpleasant valley. Also, isn't this old school? Shouldn't we be able to dress up in all kinds of different gear, and not some JRPG garb?

Apparently my first impression of a more etheral, fae themed RPG was wrong, as this last screenshot seems more standard fantasy. Well, oldschool is always nice to see, but it would be cool to see old school updated with a modern theme.

Appreciate the feedback! The Female is a final for now (still haven't done any weapons so you can say the filler weapon is atrocious till the sun comes home I'm one person developing an entire game, only so many hours in a day), most people have reacted very positively to the characters in general but I appreciate the critique. In regards to the "dressing up", you'll be able to change armor throughout the game, it just so happens monks cloths are very bright and colorful and this was the template test. As far as the overall game, it has a high fantasy theme, watch the videos if you want a feeling of the general overall theme.
RATED-RKOFRANKLIN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »

This game does not look like an Old School RPG. Old school rpgs do no thave 3d graphics.  Smiley

Anyways I am very impressed with this game. The graphics look wonderful. I love the customize options. Creating a character will be totally awesome.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »

as long as that terrible magical gravity defying tube top doesnt come back ahahaha

this is probably explained in the videos but why does each character get houses
Lavidimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »

This game does not look like an Old School RPG. Old school rpgs do no thave 3d graphics.  Smiley

Anyways I am very impressed with this game. The graphics look wonderful. I love the customize options. Creating a character will be totally awesome.

Thanks!

as long as that terrible magical gravity defying tube top doesnt come back ahahaha

this is probably explained in the videos but why does each character get houses

You eventually gain access to rebuilding a town, first thing you do is build a house, character housing is one of the ways you customize your character. For instance as a human you can build a alter which increases all skill abilities by 10%. Arakion doesn't use a traditional leveling system instead the choices you make through equipment and skill upgrading, trait decisions and housing determine how your character plays and what his or her stats/abilities are.
Lavidimus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

@Democre Currently called Torti
@Pterodactyle Thanks!
@deadfire55 Thanks!

Some new screenshots
I'm happy to say all the core coding has been finished up, still a lot to do however. I've had a few people doing some playtesting and so far the response has been excellent.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »

So I donated to your Kickstarter, but I still think your monk character is horribly out of place when compared to the rest. Just nowhere near as cool and I would go so far as to say that your whole game would be lifted to a whole different level if you would just skip that character!

Again, I restate the idea to have no humans in the game... or perhaps just have the final boss to be human... or have a faction of enemies somewhere in the game be humans.

It's your game, but that monk was almost enough to make me not pledge. Just so you know. Smiley

PS. The new screenshots are super duper lovely! (Especially so because there is no monk in them.) Wink

jb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »

I like the new screens, the world looks very lush. I'm not really fan of the monk either sorry Tongue This is from a purely conceptual point of view, if you want to include more humanoid type characters that's entirely cool but I think the reason a lot of people aren't digging the design is because your game was offering something different and original in a tired genre. Maybe you could spice her up a bit even in terms of textures, like what would she look like made out of ash or with scaled skin? Her hair is quite feather like, I think it'd be awesome to make her like a human bird hybrid with the same figure but maybe some feathers and a beak. Either way I'm still looking forward to your game, this critique is pretty minor in terms of everything Smiley

Oh and I just noticed the tortoise! Very cool.

And congrats on your kickstarter, that's amazing!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:03:02 AM by jb » Logged

pixelbarons.com
DOGO - competitive local multiplayer platformer
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »

Hey there - any updates on this project?  Well, hello there!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic