Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:35:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoments of Reflection - puzzle platformer about mirrors
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Moments of Reflection - puzzle platformer about mirrors  (Read 11924 times)
mbel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »

Puzzles are neat, graphics are quite nice, I've spent about 20 minutes going through all the puzzles, and I would gladly spend more if there were more levels. Out of curiosity: how many iterations did you have before achieving such good learning curve?

bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »

Cool man! Just curious, about how long did it take you to complete all the puzzles?

And thanks for the feedback. I agree it probably gets a little bland when you're stuck (even though I think the puzzle solutions are neat Tongue). I think some more visual polish and maybe a narrative of some sort may help.....?
Yeah, I don't think it needs much. Maybe some colour variations and more visual feedback on your actions. Just played through the rest of the game and the moving keys are interesting! Gameplay is there already and I'm looking forward to playing more levels.
Sorry I haven't got back sooner! I think it was roughly 5-10 minutes, but it might've just felt shorter than it really was (which is a neat thing!)

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »

Puzzles are neat, graphics are quite nice, I've spent about 20 minutes going through all the puzzles, and I would gladly spend more if there were more levels. Out of curiosity: how many iterations did you have before achieving such good learning curve?

Thanks man! I'm glad you thought the learning curve was smooth. This is indeed the THIRD iteration of the control scheme, and I've tweaked the on-screen instructions a lot as well. The first control scheme was driven more by the implementation, and it was hard for people to grasp (even though it made perfect sense to me!). But then I started thinking about how to teach it to people, and how Portal taught things, and that actually made me re-work the control scheme to what it is now. And people generally find it pretty intuitive. I wrote a more detailed blog post about it here: http://pupilgame.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/update-moments-of-reflection/

I'm also constantly tweaking the order and types of levels. Just yesterday I cut 3 levels and switched some around, so I'm not even sure which version you played Tongue

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »

I saw this on the indie game blog and really liked it. The core mechanics seem strong and I was able to understand how the new systems fit almost instantly. Did you have any plans for other mechanics? Either way I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Thanks! I do have a few other mechanics I want to implement, such as jump-pads and buttons. I'm not too happy with the number of puzzles using the ball-key and brick-wall mechanics though, so I'd like to design more puzzles just using them as well. Thanks for playing!

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »

Cool man! Just curious, about how long did it take you to complete all the puzzles?

And thanks for the feedback. I agree it probably gets a little bland when you're stuck (even though I think the puzzle solutions are neat Tongue). I think some more visual polish and maybe a narrative of some sort may help.....?
Yeah, I don't think it needs much. Maybe some colour variations and more visual feedback on your actions. Just played through the rest of the game and the moving keys are interesting! Gameplay is there already and I'm looking forward to playing more levels.
Sorry I haven't got back sooner! I think it was roughly 5-10 minutes, but it might've just felt shorter than it really was (which is a neat thing!)

Wow that is fast Tongue Do you play other puzzle games as well? I'd be curious how long it took you to beat, say, Portal or Braid or some other cool flash puzzle games.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:46 AM »

Made it more pretty with some textured outline (for a quasi-drop shadow effect). This is more like Sijie's original mockup.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »

Long time since I've updated this... Just submitted to the IGF, trailer here:

I showed it to a buncha people at Indiecade and reception was really good! Pretty stoked about the future of this project. I wanna try more mechanics and design more puzzles and see how deep this mechanic goes. No plans in the near future for completion...

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »

Just added some new gameplay I'm pretty excited about. Not quite done, but here's a quick preview:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:17:45 AM by stevesan » Logged

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »

I've been thinking a lot lately about my puzzle design process and what my goals are with the game. People play through the puzzles too quickly, and they don't even get what's going on half the time. That's not very satisfying game play, so I'm currently trying to design more difficult puzzles that you can just brute-force or stumble around for solutions.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »

Game is done! Bump.

Xishem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »

Congratulations on finishing your game!

I'm up to... level 19, and it got a bit mentally tiring, so taking a break. So far I really like it!

Just thought I'd post to mention that I found a bug, though:

On level 18, if you do the following mirrors:

L->R Centered
UR->DL

To get this configuration:

You can jump onto the edge of the bricks and stay there (and then jump up from them if you want).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:13:18 PM by Xishem » Logged
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:43 PM »

I'm up to... level 19, and it got a bit mentally tiring, so taking a break. So far I really like it!

L->R Centered
UR->DL

You can jump onto the edge of the bricks and stay there (and then jump up from them if you want).

Ah very interesting..does it allow you to reach the carrot from there?

Xishem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »

L->R Centered
UR->DL

Ah very interesting..does it allow you to reach the carrot from there?
It doesn't, but I figured that maybe it could be used in some level somewhere for something Tongue.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic