Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411961 Posts in 69436 Topics- by 58480 Members - Latest Member: MichaelM

June 13, 2024, 09:43:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGp2x Wiz: the new handheld by GamePark Holdings
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Gp2x Wiz: the new handheld by GamePark Holdings  (Read 13246 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »

I think it's not 2 DPAD, it's one DPAD and 4 buttons, or maybe it can be used in any combination of DPAD and buttons, as there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:36 AM »

why do you call it infamous?

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »

before the forum crash i was writing a long post but meh...

the dpad is fine, there's no pivot, just try with the f200 dpad, you can press all the buttons, so they are only 4 buttons linked together.
So yeah, you can play cps2 and kick ass in marvel vs capcom as ever.

developers on gp32x and gp2xspain boards already using the prototype said it's ok

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »

Again:

HOW DO I ORDER HANDHELD
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »

the Wiz it's still not on sale, but it will be very soon  Kiss

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »

How much are these things?

nvm, google

$180?

Are they any good for games that aren't emulated/Cave Story? Like, do they have many decent originals? Or would you have to make one of those type games yourself?

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 04:25:03 AM »

Are they any good for games that aren't emulated/Cave Story? Like, do they have many decent originals? Or would you have to make one of those type games yourself?

nothing at commercial levels but some homebrews were nice, the gp2x had also a bunch of pretty cool and cheap games such Payback, Vektar and Wind&Water.

For the Wiz they planned a schedule release with montly commercial games from small software houses, but i don't know if there will be a digital delivery system or not like they did with some gp2x games but it's already sure they will be shipped on SD card with box and such.

Anyway coding for gp2x was very easy, there was a good port of Fenix (the opensource project about the old videogame dev language called Div) that was pretty cool because you don't had to recompile or port anything, a game written in fenix can run on linux\mac\win and gp2x without touching nothing.

And there's also SDL anc C\C++ of course, and the wiz will support OpenGL ES 1.1 as well.

Photos of the gp2x Wiz at IFA, in germany, curtesy by EvilDragon

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 04:41:28 AM »

Do want.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »

It's not bad looking, but I can't imagine a good use for the second control pad. Maybe it's just to make it friendly for lefties, what with the touchscreen.

Anyway, it's nice that it's open, but the PSP is still better for emulation, and cheaper.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 11:47:41 PM »

I can't imagine a good use for the second control pad.
Virtual Boy emulation.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 06:29:17 AM »

Anyway, it's nice that it's open, but the PSP is still better for emulation, and cheaper.

Emulation on PSP just sucks... it is worse than gp2x in emulation so i don't think how it can be better than the wiz, really

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

It sucks? I don't actually own a PSP, but from videos and from what I've been told by people who do, that's not the case. Could you enlighten me? What systems can the GP2X emulate better?

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 01:21:22 AM »

It sucks? I don't actually own a PSP, but from videos and from what I've been told by people who do, that's not the case. Could you enlighten me? What systems can the GP2X emulate better?

mame, megadrive, sega cd, amiga, all the atari platforms i think are better.... and even the 8 bit consoles on psp needed to be played with an high clock. Gp2x can emulate fullspeed megadrive underclocked at 140mhz (the default console clock is 200mhz) ;)so just imagine that the Wiz will have a 533mhz clock and a more powerful SoC on it!
Also, the psp screen have a crappy "ghost" effect while something is moving due the low refresh rate of the pixels and it looks like shit on 2d games, and the screen is 16:9, and if you don't want to play using 4:3 everything will look fat.
Also, first you need to have an hacked psp and second gp2x is generally more comfortable to use (just throw everything inside the SD and play)

But if you've already a psp i think it's still a pretty good platform and can save you money to spend elsewhere and not on a gp2x or a wiz, also psp has a few interesting commercial titles too on his bow

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 02:17:46 AM »

The whole firmware hacking thing is the biggest gripe I have about homebrew on the PSP.

That, and I still have yet to find a portable SNES emulator that doesn't suck balls. Lot of people have been telling me that the PSP ones run just fine, but either I play the wrong games or the emulators aren't all that good.
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 03:17:38 AM »

mame, megadrive, sega cd, amiga, all the atari platforms i think are better.... and even the 8 bit consoles on psp needed to be played with an high clock. Gp2x can emulate fullspeed megadrive underclocked at 140mhz (the default console clock is 200mhz) ;)so just imagine that the Wiz will have a 533mhz clock and a more powerful SoC on it!
Also, the psp screen have a crappy "ghost" effect while something is moving due the low refresh rate of the pixels and it looks like shit on 2d games, and the screen is 16:9, and if you don't want to play using 4:3 everything will look fat.
Also, first you need to have an hacked psp and second gp2x is generally more comfortable to use (just throw everything inside the SD and play)

But if you've already a psp i think it's still a pretty good platform and can save you money to spend elsewhere and not on a gp2x or a wiz, also psp has a few interesting commercial titles too on his bow

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »

a very good news!

GPH listened to the users and replied that the 2nd DPad of the Wiz will be replaced with 4 proper buttons! AND the 2.5mm headphone jack will be replaced with a 3.5mm one (the standard size you find around).

I'm so going to buy one now.. the only flaws I could see with this system will be fixed. It will be delayed of 30 days but it will serve also to test better the firmware.

November will be the Wiz month. HURRAH!

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 10:22:23 AM »

a very good news!

GPH listened to the users and replied that the 2nd DPad of the Wiz will be replaced with 4 proper buttons! AND the 2.5mm headphone jack will be replaced with a 3.5mm one (the standard size you find around).

I'm so going to buy one now.. the only flaws I could see with this system will be fixed. It will be delayed of 30 days but it will serve also to test better the firmware.

November will be the Wiz month. HURRAH!

That actually is really good news..

I may have to take a look, Eclipse, bring yours over my place for beers and Wiz play?

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »

beers and Wiz play

beer helps cut the taste, make sure you dont eat asparagus  Beer! <- not beer

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »

beers and Wiz play

I hear pineapple is best for keeping the taste sweet  Gentleman

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »

beers and Wiz play

I hear pineapple is best for keeping the taste sweet  Gentleman
help im trapped inside the quotes!

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Pages: 1 [2] 3