Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:27:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopJoshua's Art Improvement Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Joshua's Art Improvement Thread  (Read 65949 times)
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »

Thanks for commiserating, getting a good rock surface is challenging.

A mockup for a metroidvania project I'm working on. Trying to find an appropriate space station inhabitant.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:31:20 AM by Joshua » Logged

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »

Thanks for commiserating, getting a good rock surface is challenging.

A mockup for a metroidvania project I'm working on. Trying to find an appropriate space station inhabitant.

I really dont have much critic about this one because Shading, Colors, Ligh and style are pretty amazing!.. but I think this piece needs a background.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 07:07:20 AM »

Thanks! I was thinking that the playable areas would have a background, and the unreachable parts would would not. Thoughts?

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »

Reworked the character from the above mockup. I'm liking the proportions more, not too excited about the bland jump suit he's wearing though. Trying to make the animations  fluid and 'juicy.'
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:34:23 AM by Joshua » Logged

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »

Reworked the character from the above mockup. I'm liking the proportions more, not too excited about the bland jump suit he's wearing though. Trying to make the animations  fluid and 'juicy.'

The suit looks like a baby body-suit to me. Maybe adding two buttons or shortening the white zone would help. Also shoes.

Your animation skills are really good, I love these walk-cycles. Do you have some reference for the feet/leg critical poses? I'm starting to draw sprites again and I'd really like something like that (my cycles are the ugliest thing ever).

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »

Thanks for the kind words! I'm still mulling over the suit design. Buttons, may help. I might try shoes also. I don't have any references in particular, usually I just do an image search for 'walk cycle.' I set a few key frames for the extreme positions, and then (if needed)insert frames to smooth out the transition.
Start a workshop thread and work on getting better!  Beer!

As pointed out by several folks, the chest heaving was just too much. So he is now a belly-breather. Hopefully this read a bit better. I'm finally getting these in game, and I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:33:41 AM by Joshua » Logged

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »

Start a workshop thread and work on getting better!  Beer!

Ok! Now I have my New Year's objective!

The belly-breath fits him betterm but now it seems that the fps are too fast. Or maybe it's just my eyes Tongue

Well, happy new year to everyone! Gotta eat my grapes (spanish tradition :D)

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

As pointed out by several folks, the chest heaving was just too much. So he is now a belly-breather. Hopefully this read a bit better. I'm finally getting these in game, and I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
Looks great! You can probably smooth it out slightly more by using the gray you use for antialiasing on his shirt to lead into the downward motion. Really good work. I'm jealous of your stuff.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 11:59:15 AM »

Going back to the rock tile for the Delver pack - would something like this approach in Magic Pockets on the Atari ST & Amiga work?

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »

Hmm... I was going for a rough-hewn wall look, but blocks of irregular shape may also work. Honestly, my Delver texture pack has been on the back burner while I'm working on projects of my own. I would like to come back to it eventually, Delver is a cool little game.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 01:55:03 AM »

Thanks for the kind words! I'm still mulling over the suit design. Buttons, may help. I might try shoes also. I don't have any references in particular, usually I just do an image search for 'walk cycle.' I set a few key frames for the extreme positions, and then (if needed)insert frames to smooth out the transition.
Start a workshop thread and work on getting better!  Beer!

I like the little earbop but the breathing still seems forced. It's almost like he's belly-dancing.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »

I appreciate the candid feedback green, thanks. You are correct, it still looks like he is gasping for breath.

I've removed the belly dancing, but still not 100% happy with it. I think I'll move on to the other animations for this guy, and hopefully when those are done I'll tackle this fresh.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:35:05 AM by Joshua » Logged

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:49 AM »

I appreciate the candid feedback green, thanks. You are correct, it still looks like he is gasping for breath.

I've removed the belly dancing, but still not 100% happy with it. I think I'll move on to the other animations for this guy, and hopefully when those are done I'll tackle this fresh.

Perhaps in the frame where the white patch enlarges you could expand it sideways (and maybe the shoulders too, for even more emphasis)?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 06:00:49 AM »

I know it's part of the exaggerated style, but I think the ears shouldn't move up and down independently of the skull so much.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys! Here is a slightly modified version:

@Destral
I've made changes along the lines of your suggestion, but I'm concerned that I'm back into the heaving chest area again.

@happymonster
Hmm. It's only a single pixel bounce, and I'd like to keep it. I think it adds character to have floppy ears. I'm beginning to wonder if my troubles with this animation is that I'm only using four frames?

I've begun working on the fighting animations, starting with a basic punch:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:35:37 AM by Joshua » Logged

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »

Full Moon Rising Devlog

The previous project I was working on began to slowly grow out of control, so the team decided to take a break and make a small game. The basic idea here is that you find a way to wolf out, then ravage the townspeople, and finally make it home to your loving she-wolf.  Wink

Edit: Added link to devlog.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:36:51 AM by Joshua » Logged

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 06:56:57 AM »

Still hard at work on Full Moon Rising. The title screen is pretty much done, I just need to replace the placeholder buttons. The game also has a few cutscenes, two of which are indoors, so I've been working on some interior art.

Comments/crits are always welcome!

Edit: Updated titlescreen, removed the placeholder buttons
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:38:30 AM by Joshua » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »

The logo is godly Evil
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 12:17:02 AM »

awesome! did you follow any pixel art tutorials?Beginner in need of help  Smiley

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »

Well sure, I did read a number of pixel art tutorials. Even now, I still actively search for and read art tutorials. I'm fascinated with the creative process and how each individual adapts tools, techniques, and practices to make stuff. I don't limit myself to just pixel art either. I watch sculpting, drawing, painting, 3D modeling, photography, and anything that I think can help make me better.

The best way to get better at art (pixel, or otherwise) is to just do it. Do lots of it. Understand that at first your work probably won't be good. In fact, it might be outright bad. Seek feedback, work that in, iterate, and keep working on improving.

That is the primary focus of this thread. To help motivate me to post my work (and not keep it hidden on my hard drive), and get critical feedback.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic