Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:53:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopJoshua's Art Improvement Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Joshua's Art Improvement Thread  (Read 66346 times)
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 05:30:26 AM »

Well sure, I did read a number of pixel art tutorials. Even now, I still actively search for and read art tutorials. I'm fascinated with the creative process and how each individual adapts tools, techniques, and practices to make stuff. I don't limit myself to just pixel art either. I watch sculpting, drawing, painting, 3D modeling, photography, and anything that I think can help make me better.

The best way to get better at art (pixel, or otherwise) is to just do it. Do lots of it. Understand that at first your work probably won't be good. In fact, it might be outright bad. Seek feedback, work that in, iterate, and keep working on improving.

That is the primary focus of this thread. To help motivate me to post my work (and not keep it hidden on my hard drive), and get critical feedback.

Do you pixel art with mouse? I have seen people first using wacom to draw the raw pixel art and after that using mouse and fill it up

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »

I very rarely do pixel art with my tablet. All of the art for Full Moon Rising was done with a mouse. I'm not sure what you mean by "raw pixel art." I tend to approach pixel art from a painterly perspective. I block in the major forms in dark neutral hues, then build up lighter values, and refine refine refine. Contrasted to the sketch, clean, and then color in approach.

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »

I very rarely do pixel art with my tablet. All of the art for Full Moon Rising was done with a mouse. I'm not sure what you mean by "raw pixel art." I tend to approach pixel art from a painterly perspective. I block in the major forms in dark neutral hues, then build up lighter values, and refine refine refine. Contrasted to the sketch, clean, and then color in approach.

raw pixel art = roughly drawn pixel art with basic colors.

thanks for the tips, going to follow your guidelines Smiley

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »

Working on an underground tileset for Pioneers. Strictly four-color, trying to explore the options. Still thinking of more doodads to break up the monotony. Comments/crits are always welcome.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:39:22 AM by Joshua » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »

They look very nice but I don't think that they fit the overall noisy style of Pioneers

EDIT: Apparently you said that in the Pioneers thread, woops
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

Working on improving my 3D modeling and hand painting skills. Concepts courtesy Vakon. I'm aware of an error with the left dagger, and I'll fix it soon.

Comments + critiques welcome.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:40:30 AM by Joshua » Logged

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »

Those daggers look really nice. They remind me a lot of Blizzard's art style. What software are you using to make these?

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »

Thanks you kindly. I use Blender and Photoshop. Nothing too fancy, but I'm happy to talk more about my process if you are interested.

For fun I uploaded the left dagger to Sketchfab.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »

Well, I'd love to talk about this process, a lot. I'm deeply interested in learning more about 3D modelling as I would like to try my hand in making low-poly and mid range models and experimenting with my pixel art skills for texture mapping.

I have Blender installed and I've also fiddled a bit with tutorials and stuff.

Any good links with tutorials or books that you recommend to a newcomer? How long did it take for you to get to that level of proficiency?

I must tread carefully however, as I'm also working on my coding skills so I need not divide myself too much or I won't make substantial progress in either field.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

A1 is the original. A to B: height, 1 to 2: width.

Trying to figure out the proportions for the characters in Delver, but I'm a bit stuck. For some reason I want to keep using the environment as a relative measure. For example: In Minecraft the player is 1x1x2 world units and most characters end up being skinny and tall. In Delver the player is 1x1x1 world units and I keep making the characters squat.

Is my brain broken?  Tired
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:42:27 AM by Joshua » Logged

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »

The default hitbox for the mobs in Delver is something like 0.4 x 0.4 x 0.6, where a tile is a full 1x1x1. Broken down into pixels, that would be something like a 13x22 section the whole 32x32 area that would take up the full tile. The current mob sprites generally match pretty closely to the hitboxes, sometimes going a bit over.

In pictures, it's a bit like shown above, where the white area is the characters actual hitbox. That hitbox should be a good rule of thumb for humanoid characters, it gives them a bit of maneuvering room within a tile.

Bigger monsters could definitely take up a whole tile and then take up most of the available area for that sprite atlas, but those may be best saved for minibosses and the like.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »

Thanks for the guidance, I'll see what I can turn out in the next few days.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »

Did a few style iterations on the druid. Based on earlier feedback, I've been trying to make the arms and legs read better. Threw in an Adventure Time/Samcube style one in for fun.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:43:32 AM by Joshua » Logged

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »

Top middle and top right look the best to me.  Bottom middle's arms look big compared to his body, and his legs look too small.  Bottom right doesn't really fit with the others, but it's cute nonetheless.

Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »

Hmm. How about some mix and match? Take the face and the staff from top middle and combine them with bottom left. Make the staff a bit thinner and move it away a little bit from the body and shrink that hand a bit.

Like this basically.

Basically, bottom left is about the right size while top middle is too tall but more importantly I for one really don't like the hobbit feet and giant fists at least not for the specific character your working on right now (top right might be great for an enemy that is supposed to walk up and punch you in the face :p). As for the staff, well, I just think this guy should retain his weapon.

Another note on the feet, while my first instinct is that I don't like the hobbit feet, the boots on bottom left might be too small (or they might work, considering the original sprite), will probably be a lot easier to say seeing the walking 'animation'.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:18:47 PM by Leonick » Logged
RynnZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »

Like this basically.

I agree with this. Except make the feet a little less puny, but not quite as monstrous as the first row.

I am kind of torn, though. I do like the bottom right one. I don't know if anyone else does, or if it would really fit in with Delver's atmosphere... Maybe as an alternate texture pack? Unlocked when you beat the game?
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »

I like the huge feet and hands, gives it a nice unique style!
He needs his hoodie though.

I tried combining the derp looking guy with the big feet and hands.
I just love the unique vibe he gives off, which matches the art very well..

I think the beard makes him look to rugged, he's already quite beefy in size.
You should save that for a new warrior type enemy, as the current ones are rather thin.

edit: Sorry I couldn't resist.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:23:15 AM by Seiseki » Logged

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

Can we declare this the winner?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
david.vlach2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »

Absolutely!
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 05:59:04 AM »

@Evan
The top middle was my first attempt, and the feedback given was he looked like a dwarf/had no legs. The bottom right was intentionally a big departure from the others. Mostly because I'm not sure if I should be doing small iterations similar to the current style, or trying new things entirely.

@Leonick
Nice edit! I tried doing enough variants that mixing matching would be possible.

@Rynzz
Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll have time for an alternate texture pack. I think Chad can keep me busy enough as it is! Wink

@Seiseki
That edit totally made my day!  Beer!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic