Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:26:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopJoshua's Art Improvement Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Joshua's Art Improvement Thread  (Read 66344 times)
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:37 AM »

This guy is moving in the right direction - he could look less angry and more derpy though. Maybe change his eyes and mouth and give him the hair tustle from the derptastic guy?
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

He looks too angry for is cute size Shrug
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »

Removal of the beard/stubble as well as a more neutral mouth might fit better, yea.
The "hair tustle" from the derpy guy works out pretty nicely, like it.

No idea what you could do with the mouth and eyes though. Eyes still look rather angry but everything I tried just ended up looking weird. I'll leave that to the real artist :p
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »

Those daggers are great  Kiss

Have you tried making the eyes on the druid a darker color - maybe one of the deepest browns? Might make him look less angry.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

Face + Hair Variants

I think I have found a style I like. Curious to see what you folks think.

@Leonick
No worries, it's cool seeing you have fun with it.

@sakuyo
Thank you very kindly. It was a fun exercise to figure out a hand painted, low poly workflow.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:44:14 AM by Joshua » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »

Okay, I got a great idea. What about having all of them randomly appear!?
Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »

First of all I'd like to say I really admire your work, especially what you've done (and are doing) for Delver. Second of all, I like all of the characters a lot (I was thinking maybe top row 2nd column or 2nd row 2nd column), but I feel like you should try out giving them hoods. I don't know if you have already, but I feel like a hood would be suiting. I don't know though, just my thoughts. Thank you!

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »

Okay, I got a great idea. What about having all of them randomly appear!?

Best idea!

Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2013, 02:25:46 AM »

Would actually be pretty cool to have at least a few different ones, would add another bit of diversity.

As for that collection of variants, 1-1 (row-column), 2-4 and 3-3 look the best to me.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »

@Quarry
@Seiseki

That sounds like 16x the work! Though I'll probably put some of my favorite heads on the different characters. I believe there are five or so human enemies.

@CapnSquidlet
Thank you for the kind words. I'll try giving them hoods, but so far it has read as a back hump and not a hood.

@Leonick
Cool, thanks for the input.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:26 AM »

@Quarry
@Seiseki

That sounds like 16x the work!

But you've already drawn them..
You just have to animate legs and arms and copy paste the faces on top..

Have you considered a protruding jaw like the delver dude concept art:

I think most of them look too happy for enemies though..
Would feel weird to hit most of those guys in the face when they're grinning like that :D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:05:18 AM by Seiseki » Logged

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »

Yes I have already drawn them, but I would like to eventually have every character fully animated (more than two frames). Chad did mention maybe a system to switch out heads during run time. Something to think about I guess.

I thought about doing it similar to the Delver dude, but that was fanart for the original design. I'd like to try and establish a different aesthetic for the art I'm putting in.

I always thought it was weird that in Delver you are mostly murdering other humans.  Evil

RynnZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »

I think most of them look too happy for enemies though..
Would feel weird to hit most of those guys in the face when they're grinning like that :D

This. Angry or stoic faces would be more appropriate.

If it has an angry face, it's a bad guy. Just ask Axe Cop.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »

I always thought it was weird that in Delver you are mostly murdering other humans.  Evil

Those guys are probably held in thrall by the Orb - people that spent too much time in / near the dungeon and their brains turned into mush Smiley
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »

This is some nice art, but does anyone but me find that the scale at this pixel resolution feels very odd?

It's like the standard 16x16 resolution of Minecraft, that makes the entire world seem very small. But the moment you change the texture resolution to 8x8 or 32x32, the world feel all right again.

But then again, maybe it's just me?

Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »

This is some nice art, but does anyone but me find that the scale at this pixel resolution feels very odd?

It's like the standard 16x16 resolution of Minecraft, that makes the entire world seem very small. But the moment you change the texture resolution to 8x8 or 32x32, the world feel all right again.

But then again, maybe it's just me?

The textures drawn by Joshua for delver in this thread are all 64x64 (the characters of course don't fill every pixel). Though the characters could possibly be perceived as 32x32 since the pixels are all grouped in groups 2x2 for whatever reason.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »

All the Delver assets I'm working on are 32x32, but I upscale 2x them for nice viewing on the forums. Wink

@eobet
I'm not quite sure if I understand what you are saying?

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »

@eobet, have you seen these graphics in-game? They are twice the regular resolution, i.e. 32x32px instead of 16x16px.

I sorta get what you're saying, with lower resolution everything seems very undefined, with higher resolution there's so much detail that the world seems larger because of it, because it's actually filled with more detail..

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »

Ok, my bad for using pixel resolutions for my example, as everyone got hung up on the numbers.

What I was trying to describe was the progress from abstract game (huge pixels), to detailed game (small pixels) where for me there is a "sweet spot" somewhere in between that has the optical illusion of actually shrinking the world!

My example was Minecraft since it's easy to switch texture resolutions in that game now, but I see the exact same thing in the mock-ups posted here: The fat pixels posted make the world feel smaller compared to the previous huge pixels.

But again, maybe it's just in my own head? Smiley

Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2013, 01:09:48 AM »

All the Delver assets I'm working on are 32x32, but I upscale 2x them for nice viewing on the forums. Wink

@eobet
I'm not quite sure if I understand what you are saying?
That makes sense, it's what would have been my guess for the characters but for some reason when I checked the environment textures a few pages back I didn't see the same 2x2 pixel groups... Of course now when I double check it is like that, not quite sure how I missed that :p
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic