Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:47:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopJoshua's Art Improvement Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Joshua's Art Improvement Thread  (Read 66350 times)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »

My example was Minecraft since it's easy to switch texture resolutions in that game now, but I see the exact same thing in the mock-ups posted here: The fat pixels posted make the world feel smaller compared to the previous huge pixels.

Wait..What is the difference between fat and huge pixels I don't get it?

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »

When I can't sleep, I make art...

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »

is dat sum starshock m8
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »

No, it's not Starshock. It began as a handful of temporary tiles for Night District, and I keep finding myself adding stuff every now and then. Not really a project, just for fun.  Smiley

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 05:09:57 AM »

Jokes aside looks very cool, has a nice consistent style
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

Working on the armor sets for Delver. I'm wondering if I should also make the armor sizes also reflect their importance.

Leather < Chain < Plate < Golden Plate

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:46:10 AM by Joshua » Logged

Skizomeuh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2013, 02:13:03 AM »

I love the armor sets. Though, talking about size, I find strange heavy armors don't have hips parts as the lighter ones do.

I find gold set a little too unused to be found as is in the deeps of the dungeons.

By the way, I'm fond of mobs animations, and weapons positions/animations put in the Halloween update are really going the right way.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »

Click to enlarge.

Working on some low poly modular environment assets to add some interest to the depths of Delver. Building to the grid and snapping is a beautiful thing. I need to rework the texture on the larger column, it's temp/wip for now.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

Wow , rad stuff everywhere
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »

Some offhand items for Delver.

@Whiteclaws
Thank you very kindly.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

no, thank you sir for blowing our minds

I feel like the cup would be better if it had a bit of depth
michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2014, 03:33:07 AM »

Love your pixel work! Smiley
I hadn't seen that scifi scene before, love it!

Do you stick to a specific palette for projects?

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »

Demo: Photoshop Index Painting with DawnBringer's 32 Color Palette

I've been experimenting with a way to improve Dan Fessler's HD Index Painting technique. More specifically, how to remove the single color ramp limitation. Doing this will allow painting with an entire palette on a single layer.

What makes this work is replacing the color ramp with a specially generated color lookup table. I've hacked together a proof of concept tool for generating a lookup table from a palette file. If folks are interested, I may write a proper tool to create these type of tables.

The demo above is a illustrates painting over a color that has a similar value but different hue. This is unique to my approach.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2014, 08:06:13 PM »

I waited for the GIF to end and it didn't, I'm more impressed at the magical compression there rather than your work Well, hello there!
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »

Please do Smiley I found the single colour ramp thing very restrictive so would be keen to use a more general technique to get the basics down at least, even if it required a bit of clean up later.

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2014, 01:20:53 AM »

Demo: Photoshop Index Painting with DawnBringer's 32 Color Palette

I've been experimenting with a way to improve Dan Fessler's HD Index Painting technique. More specifically, how to remove the single color ramp limitation. Doing this will allow painting with an entire palette on a single layer.

What makes this work is replacing the color ramp with a specially generated color lookup table. I've hacked together a proof of concept tool for generating a lookup table from a palette file. If folks are interested, I may write a proper tool to create these type of tables.

The demo above is a illustrates painting over a color that has a similar value but different hue. This is unique to my approach.

You have no idea how long I've looked for ways to convert index palette files into a CLUT.  You sir have my mad respect.  I'd love playing with this.

Edit: I can imagine the biggest problem with this process would be in inability to modify the palette easily as you're working?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:27:27 AM by DanFessler » Logged

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2014, 07:57:34 AM »

Thanks for the kind words!

I wrote a script that generates a LUT using a nearest neighbor match against a given palette. So it takes something like this:

And converts it to:

You are correct that you cannot easily edit the palette. Which is a pretty big drawback. You'd have to export the new palette, run it through the script, and then update the LUT. Ideally all this would live inside of Photoshop. I'll take a look at the Adobe Photoshop SDK documentation and see if it is feasible.

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2014, 04:26:20 AM »

<snip>

I would love to try that, I saw Dan Fessler's technique, but it was too confusing for me. Sad
(Also, I found that colour palette a few weeks ago, it's amazing. A Minecraft texture pack was using an extended version of it (to 128) which is just perfect. Pixel daydream )

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »

Really cool stuff!  Hand Clap

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »

Are those Voronoi diagrams I'm seeing? How do you calculate the pallette?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic