Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:27:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHOLY SHIT GUYS BRAID REVIEWED BY YAHTZEE
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: HOLY SHIT GUYS BRAID REVIEWED BY YAHTZEE  (Read 7302 times)
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 04:43:43 PM »

?

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 04:44:58 PM »

Cave Story pyramids have no place in the indie games forum. Leave the spam for general chat!  Angry
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 11:39:44 PM »

Level up!

PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 02:09:03 AM »

When does Braid come to Steam by the way?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 02:52:03 AM »

Seriously, I thought it was XBLA exclusive
Oh, glorious day
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 02:55:38 AM »

I'll wait for a PC release, but I really, really dislike the art style, expecially the way the character looks...

Yeah, flame me :D

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 03:30:40 AM »

Im totally going to flame you, just wait.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 05:02:45 AM »

Nayon, I thought I did too, but the entire thing looks so, SO wonderful in motion. I mean, even if you've seen a video, it's just not the same as seeing it on one's Television, under one's command. You'll see.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 09:07:35 AM »

I'll wait for a PC release, but I really, really dislike the art style, expecially the way the character looks...

I remember thinking that the screenshots didn't look so great, but the art looks amazingly beautiful in the game. You really have to see it in HD. Lots of detail. Everything moves, like ... everything. Parallax up the wazoo.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »

i love yahtzee oh so much

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »

Ya know everything about Jonathan Blow makes me want to hate this game, from everything I've read on him and all the interview he comes off as such a fucking wanker.
I bought the game really to support the fantastic work of David Hellman whos made a fucking gorgeous game.
Gnarf
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »

Normally I'd be all, "Well now you're coming off like a fucking wanker!", but since you backed it up with some hard facts I was all "Oh, that's true, there have been written about Blow and he does appear in interviews. You must be right!" instead.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »

I'm unsure if that was sarcasam or not, but either way I didn't explain myself verry well. Everytime I've seen him respond to criticism of the game is just with "Well they didn't understand it" It's like the fact that maybe people didn't like his game is a completly alien concept ot him. Reading interviews with him it doesn't sound like he thinks he's made a good game, he comes off as thinking he's made the best damm game ever and anyone that doesn't like it is a simpleton or something.

It's even worse cause Braid in itself is a good game. It's a fun puzzle game with some gorgeous graphics. And I want to like it I really do, but I have a hard time sperating it from it's creator.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 05:19:56 PM by Benza » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »

I saw Yahtzee's Review and some youtube footage.. it looks um, average. A guy running, jumping, collecting pieces. A jigsaw minigame.
JB made Flow -- the game where you were flying around in the clouds supposed to reach zen enlightenment or something? (wrong title) I really hope that game was a post-modernist joke because it was one of the most boring pieces of software I have ever excecuted on my machine.
Braid looks like an average platformer, I am  WTF why it's being called best-game-ever because what I've seen it looks average.. unless I just have to "play it", but now it's starting to sound like a Jonathan Blow Cult.  Cry

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »

It isn't a platformer, it's a puzzle game that uses platforming mechanics. There's no death etc.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »

It's a puzzle game that uses time control. The platforming is there solely to let you navigate the environment. The time control isn't just PoP-style rewind either.

The youtube videos you saw must have been awfully short if you never noticed any of this.

In fact, Yahtzee's review mentions the time based mechanics. And still you didn't know about it?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Zaphos
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »

JB made Flow -- the game where you were flying around in the clouds supposed to reach zen enlightenment or something? (wrong title)
He didn't make flow or cloud, those were made by thatgamecompany.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:17 PM »

I didn't like the game that much either. Sure, the graphics were gorgeous and the puzzles challenging and (sometimes) fun, but other than that the game left me bored pretty quickly. That, and the story kinda makes it seem like that Blow guy only made the game to woe over his lost girlfriend.

Like, the biggest effort to show off you're emo, ever.

But yeh, I kinda let the hype get the better on me on that game. If I would've played the demo first (there was one, right?) I wouldn't have bought the full game :T
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 07:13:35 PM »

Hehe

tweet tweet @j_younger
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2008, 07:16:44 PM »