Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:19:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUNNAMED Retro Rpg
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: UNNAMED Retro Rpg  (Read 1824 times)
0wnage0tter
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »

Hello, I'm 0wnage0tter and I'm a young designer/coder. I'm gonna introduce a game, although I am not entirely sure what it's gonna be named. It's a runescape style 2D RPG. I am currently busy with the Sprites, and not with the coding.

What I want to be added:
-Character customization
-Animations for things such as mining
-More ores, not only silver, gold, iron and copper.
-Easter Eggs :3
-Music

Programs that I use:
-Eclipse (Java Coding)
-Paint.NET

I suck at making music with programs and such, so if anyone would like to help me, please post a sample in this topic and I will look at it.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:53:50 AM »

Hmm. Is this going to be an MMO?

If yes, how long have you been coding in Java? I must dissapoint you, but unless you're very experienced in programming (which involves networking, databases, optimalization etc.) then you have no reason to start an MMO. Even if you do, you will most likely fail. MMOs require quite big team of programmers to get done properly.

Why not to make it singleplayer (2D) instead? That would let you gain some experience... And if you happen to finish that one, make another one, that is different genre - and keep them comming. The more you do, the better you are.

0wnage0tter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:08:09 AM »

If yes, how long have you been coding in Java? I must dissapoint you, but unless you're very experienced in programming (which involves networking, databases, optimalization etc.) then you have no reason to start an MMO. Even if you do, you will most likely fail. MMOs require quite big team of programmers to get done properly.

Why not to make it singleplayer (2D) instead? That would let you gain some experience... And if you happen to finish that one, make another one, that is different genre - and keep them comming. The more you do, the better you are.

I don't want it to be a MMO yet. I want it to be Singleplayer untill I get more skills then I do as of right now. Maybe I could add randomly generated worlds. Not sure if that would work well with a RPG.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:23 AM »

I don't want it to be a MMO yet. I want it to be Singleplayer untill I get more skills then I do as of right now. Maybe I could add randomly generated worlds. Not sure if that would work well with a RPG.

Sorry but... you'd have to get back to it after years to make it a nice MMO.

And yes, randomly generated content works well with RPGs. Have a look at roguelike game type, or at malevolance game.

0wnage0tter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:33:06 AM »

-

I was bored so wanted to continue, turns out that some sprites actually look pretty cool.
Think I'm gonna stick with my idea of a 2D RPG.
Still need some more ores and a pickaxe template thingy...
0wnage0tter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:07:33 AM »

I wanted to make a cow. In the end it looked like a turtle. So here's a turtle.
Also, here's a torch. May look a bit small but meh. I'll make it bigger.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:54:46 AM »

No offense but you'll need an artist
0wnage0tter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:11:52 AM »

No offense taken. Also, I would like to this whole game on my own. Maybe not the music/soundtrack. And the turtle was first just a rough sketch for a cow.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:31:22 AM »

RPGs will take you a long time to make when solo, and during that time you'll probably give up

Truth has spoken
poe
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »

RPGs will take you a long time to make when solo, and during that time you'll probably give up

Truth has spoken
0wnage0tter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »

I'm gonna prove you wrong. It is possible. And I will not quit untill the game is atleast in alpha/beta version.
Kramlack
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »

Truth has spoken

I agree with this. Waiting to be proven wrong as well.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:33:45 AM by Kramlack » Logged
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

Not saying impossible but highly unpossible
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic