Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:06:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEverything n Nothing
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Everything n Nothing  (Read 47993 times)
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »

thanks hope you guys enjoy it.

Integrated the timeline and started work on a console.  Didn't want to go through all the trouble of making gui elements for menus, maybe at a later time.  Hopefully it will help implement features faster.

Started work on a game project, but this is my primary focus, and I'm not alone making assets this time Smiley  Getting my best bud into dev, really appreciate his input on design.  

After implementing the timeline, I was thinking more about video editing software, and how it would be cool to export to video.  So I looked more into it and read about exporting frames to flv format (implemented but missing audio).  So what I'm imagining is having sound snippets, associated to each frame, in the timeline.  Being able to progress through a track and paint directly. Have other things on my plate, though.  One those features I'll add after a beta release.

here's an exported flv, if you have vlc I think you can view it in your browser.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46434785/test.flv
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:04:09 PM by softchange » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »

It's being held together by glue.  going to wrap the main features up tonight, half the battle of saving and loading is done, saving to a flattened spritesheet.  Working on saving and loading layers.  Participating in gamejolts jam tomorrow, would love to use this.

edit: yay done Smiley
it's kind of tacked together but you won't notice that hopefully
and needs to be polished but I'm excited to release a build and get your input
this is the biggest and only coding project I've finished (well almost)
mighty happy with it so far.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46434785/Pinata.air

one thing you'll notice you won't find any tool buttons, they are all handled with mod keys pretty much, this just felt comfortable to me, a lot of the choices were because it felt comfortable to me so it might be kind of awkward at first.

controls:

toolbar:
red buttons change the brush, but you have to mouse over the brush palette to change it currently.
white small box - slider for color brightness

canvas:
delete - delete frame layer
p - toggle playback
ctrl+paint - erase
shift+paint - masking
tab - toggles onionskin (previous frame only)
left / right arrows - add frames, cycle frames
up / down arrows - add layers, cycle layers
plus / minus - zoom in zoom out
WASD - pan canvas

timeline:
(layers ordered descending rather than ascending will fix)
drag cells around to rearrange frames and layers
shift drag to copy
middle mouse + drag: pan timeline (kind of buggy warning)

console commands:
save /flv - saves a flv video
save /flat - saves a flattened spritesheet
save /layers - saves all your layers so you can load them back up
load - loads pngs

hmmm just realized you can't resize the canvas yet
all images are set to 800,600 right now
I'll be adding this in the next build, probably saturday at the earliest

What's left are mostly painting features
setting background color
Slowing down playback
playing select frames

I hope you like it..  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:39:27 PM by softchange » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »

yep blendmodes   Kiss
added resizing
wanna get done with a couple projects before I release another build

and... alpha yay

this was like 2 mins of circling the brush on add mode, and alpha set to .1
whoops was thinking the custom blend modes were working with painting but unfortunately they don't except for the default actionscript modes:

- add
- alpha
- darken
- difference
- erase
- hardlight
- invert
- layer
- lighten
- multiply
- normal
- overlay
- screen
- subtract

I'll figure out how to apply custom blend modes, like dodging and burning one day.

edit:
animated brushes... interesting
also works like the canvas where you can continue to draw as the frames change.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:24:44 PM by softchange » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »

so I'm in the middle of a project for gamejolts jam.
we had a late start, but have a pretty solid idea now.
its been really nice to put my app to use
noticing a lot of holes and usability issues
that I'm fixing along the way
adding in features on the fly which has been easy to implement on top of my existing code

since our project is going to be of pixely goodness
I've been focusing on tools that would help the process
this one just showcases the shading/lighting tool
adjusting the colors underneath the brush
to add volume and form quickly to your work
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:12:36 PM by softchange » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 03:19:42 AM »

Been playing with the drawing program and it's really fun so far. Great way to create animations.

Already liking what I can create which is always a fun sign. Great job Gentleman

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:36 AM »

sweet dude  Smiley yea I'm excited about this current build but I'd like to polish the gui, and not bind everything to shortcut keys tho they're handy.

added the following:
- tile assistance, preview your tile in a 9x9 grid as you're painting, to help check for seam issues.
- playback select frame sequence
- history, hit z to back a brush stroke, slightly buggy

I was thinking of adding x/y symmetry drawing.
i might just be looking for features to tack on at this point.

actually a gradient slider would be really nice,
sliding rgb values between a first and secondary color.

- added gradient slider Smiley

one of the goals I wanted to reach was to match all the features of graphicsgale, I think I'm almost there, added in indexed coloring where colors in the palette are linked to colors in the image, so if you adjust the palette you'll adjust the image.  Palettes not so useless anymore also loads all colors from loaded images, and sorts them.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:56:38 AM by softchange » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2013, 08:23:26 PM »

here's our entry for gamejolts jam.
exhausted.  all the assets are made using the program
a lot didn't make it in
http://gamejolt.com/games/strategy-sim/sodom-gomorrah/13154/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:32:47 PM by softchange » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »

So I'm revisiting the old source, removing a few things like masking/and probably custom brushes atm, touch up the ui and package this as a solid pixel/animation program.  I'm feeling a bit burnt out and want to start on a game.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »

...and package this as a solid pixel/animation program ... want to start on a game.

That plan sounds cool to me.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »

put this in a nice side by side table

- wrapped up work on a file tree, drag/drop/sort/manage/spit/spat based off http://blog.adamharte.com/added-treelist-to-minimalcomps/

- splitting images into frames/tiles.  lassoing for collage and other work.  These images are added to the Scene Display, which has replaced the canvas.  Now each image can be dragged anywhere on the stage, and double clicked to enter paint mode.  Painting effects the source image, so it's reflected across all tiles/frames.

- beginning work to implement the last third for image properties

Had to find a solution to saving the project without flash prompting the user for each file, which could be done with air, however I haven't figured out a way to export to older versions to use on an older macbook my partner has.  Anyways, I came up with saving all the assets and settings files in a compressed zip, which can be loaded to restore your project.  I like this because it keeps all your files in one place. I'm tired I talk like robot.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »

worked on tweening values between keyframes (<- see picture)
working on implementing a dope sheet

edit: dope sheet is dope
here for your viewing pleasure

The next build will be relatively bug free.  I should have this done in about a week yeah!

Just working on caching tween transformations as matrixes to speed things up when tweening multiple images.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:38:54 PM by softchange » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

here's a look at the current interface.  Understand a bit more about matrix transformations, I think I'll be able to implement skeleton animations.  this project never ends.  But I'm busy with school, so maybe it's a good thing I'm not starting on a game yet.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:38:09 AM by softchange » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2013, 06:28:53 AM »

why hello
bones.  It was a lot easier than I thought, most of the code for the bones were in the keyable images, so I made a base class for anything that could be keyframed and displayed.  In the project browser, dragging and dropping form parent child relationships between bones + other bones and images.

Try to tackle IK this week. And then saving and loading. then ... ludum dare.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »

hey 7dfps...

I'm working on a multiplayer game based off a spaghetti western card game BANG!.  The rules are pretty simple, everyone is dealt one of four roles at the start of the game, Sheriff Deputy Renegade and Bandit(?).  Bandits win by killing the Sheriff, Sheriff + Deputy win by killing everyone but eachother, Renegade wins by killing everyone.  You draw guns, beer, bullets etc.  Everyone is given a random character card, that has a special ability and a set amount of health.

The game itself is pretty mental not knowing who's who, a game of mind games, lying, mild paranoia.

I'll probably diverge from the theme, but build on upon the model in a 3d arena setting.  Assigning and deducting points depending on who you kill and what your role was to determine the winner.  "Cards" will spawn at different locations, bullets are limited.  You'll have a limited inventory in the way that you can only hold so many cards.  Maybe some character customization.

I like robots so there might be robots.  And I've been thinking about a fighting / aiming system like Virtual On

.  While your camera is locked on to a guy, your cursor is free to shoot down missiles or strategically fire a shot in the environment as your free to dodge and swerve around.  not sure how these ideas will gel...

I've been learning Unity for this.  Networking has been surprising easy but...  Right now, I have database registration, login, a lobby, joining a game, and real time syncing working locally when I test multiple instances of the game.  

TASTE TESTERS NEEDED

However I'm not sure if my networking script will allow other players to connect or create games behind their routers automatically.  The problem I think is the NAT punching, which if I can explain it is a way of opening ports for clients to connect to.  

I was wondering if anyone can help test a build with a couple computers.  It's really not much fun at this point, but I would really appreciate it if someone could test this.  I'll put up a link soon, just have to fix a couple things.

THANKS KISS PU

Here's the windows build.  you can input any email address as long as its in the form [email protected].  Otherwise you can get an email with your password and account name by yours truly <3  You won't be notified if there's an error registering, if there is just login as
username keokeo
password keokeo

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46434785/unity/Bin.zip

Other things to note:
- After logging in, to your left the fields are:
To create a Game:
Game Name: name of the game
Player Amount: max number of players (set this between 1-9 or you might get an error)
port: it's just a randomly generating port number between 40000-250000.  NAT punching should work for any port if I understand it correctly.

-In the Center:
List of Games available to connect
Have to hit refresh upon logging in

After logging into a game a button to your left "Spawn" will spawn your character and load the Level.  I think it's best to wait till all computers are at the Spawn button stage, or you might get errors.  It'll probably be a waiting lobby at some point.

Controls:
wasd+space
space to flyyyy

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:48:11 AM by keo » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2013, 01:22:24 AM »

So ends my 3 month trip in bohemia.  Before I go I had a mini jam before my gf / her mothers shared birthday.  Made a simple english / czech vocab learning game which was fun and probably as complete a game I've ever done solo.  You can find it here here.
Her mother loves cats, so there's a cat.  It was pretty awesome watching her reaction.  I'll be adding to this as the year goes on, I can actually see it being useful to my learning too.  There'll be other question formats and mini-games.  You can switch language instructions under settings.  Enjoy.

there's something really nice about helping others through games, and using it as medium to communicate to eachother.  Her mother will be having an empty nest for about a year, hopefully this cheers her up.  They'll be a way for us to send messages in game, and a way for her to send me written responses to longer questions that don't have a simple answer.

my next project is going to be font/ascii based.  I'm thinking of building a simple level editor, that works just like any typing program, all the tiles are font characters placed by typing, another program will take any font and output a monospaced version.  another part of this toolset will be a ascii paint / animator tool for building sprites.  and finally onto a game.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:25:35 AM by keo » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic