Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 02:22:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallHotline Miami
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Hotline Miami  (Read 29944 times)
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »

He posted the same article on Giant Bomb, love the response:
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/devwil/why-hotline-miami/30-97033/

Haven't seen that many positive comments about the game anywhere else. People are referencing everything from Robocop to Cronenberg and Lynch in defense of the game. I couldn't be happier Coffee

@fecal_brunch: Which version did you get? There's different solutions for the GOG version and the Steam version...
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »

People are referencing everything from Robocop to Cronenberg and Lynch in defense of the game. I couldn't be happier Coffee

Ok , don't ge me started on that...
 I told you in ther early pages of this devlog that there was a great opportunity with this game setting to pull off some great retro music, and although I do notice that the musician seems to have made some effort, we are still into chiptune realm, and nowher do I see the awesome john carpenter-like retro synth that I was expecting
 Lips Sealed

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »

post sales  Toast Right
Dragonmaw
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »

People are referencing everything from Robocop to Cronenberg and Lynch in defense of the game. I couldn't be happier Coffee

Ok , don't ge me started on that...
 I told you in ther early pages of this devlog that there was a great opportunity with this game setting to pull off some great retro music, and although I do notice that the musician seems to have made some effort, we are still into chiptune realm, and nowher do I see the awesome john carpenter-like retro synth that I was expecting
 Lips Sealed

I feel like there's a few songs like that, namely Perturbator - Miami Disco and El Huervo - Turf. If anything, this game gives me good 80s synth vibes. A number of the songs remind me of Tron.

@Cactus: Are there more games in the pipeline for Dennaton?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:19:23 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

My favorites were probably the Moon tracks and the Jasper Byrne tracks but only because those play well outside of the game. All the songs really work in the game itself. I just dont see myself listening to the song that plays in your apartment on my mp3 player while jogging .

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »

I really wish there was a compiled soundtrack for the game.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

Not like this?

http://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

Or do you mean like an itunes album you can download?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2012, 01:35:47 AM »

never thought i'd hear sun araw in a videogame but damn

biggest surprise since les rallizes denudes in space funeral
Carnefrisca
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »

Congratulations!

Great game!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

I don't use Unity3D not for principle, but for a moral duty.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2012, 06:37:45 AM »

Not like this?

http://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

Or do you mean like an itunes album you can download?
I did not know this existed. I would totally buy it on iTunes, though.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »

Rami Ismail just did a blog about hotline miami. Basically the polar opposite of the other blog in regards to quality.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RamiIsmail/20121029/180408/Why_Hotline_Miami_is_an_important_game.php

I just got the good ending. I have a ton of questions about the story.

Ashkin
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »

I just got the good ending. I have a ton of questions about the story.
I have a lot of questions too. For example, why were there three maskdudes but only two janitors? Were the masks just complete figments of the original guy's imagination? Also, what did the guy who gave you free stuff but was killed symbolize?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

Re: Soundtrack: all the game's songs are available in the game folder as OGGs.

I have a lot of questions too. For example, why were there three maskdudes but only two janitors? Were the masks just complete figments of the original guy's imagination? Also, what did the guy who gave you free stuff but was killed symbolize?

The janitors aren't the masked guys. Those are some inner representation of the Rooster's internal struggle against his dark urges. Hence the talking about "do you like hurting people" and "you make me sick" and "as of late you've done some horrible things."

I get the feeling like the free stuff guy was sort of your sense of internal justification. "Take anything, it's on the house!" While he starts off fine, things gradually start to deteriorate with him until he's outright killed. As you progress, you realize you have no real justification for your actions, and you acknowledge that you are simply a murderer.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:37:24 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »

i enjoy hurting people
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2012, 04:57:41 AM »

I don't really get why some people are pushing this as a 2deep4u art gam. It be a fun game with a kewl story, that's all I care for.

it'skind of a response to the other article. They were beefing on twitter for a while.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

I had to respond to his twitter.

I think the very nature of Hotline Miami is for it to not be completed, either from a challenge perspective (some of the missions are pretty tough) or from a sickened perspective (it's very violent, almost squeamishly so).

I do think it's disingenuous to say that violence in Hotline Miami, or any videogame, is inherently worse than violence in movies. In both cases, the feelings are represented through the visuals, and not the actions. Pressing A to murder doesn't really breathe life into the interactive violence argument, since it's a level disconnected from the reality of violence. The only real way to get people to back off and go "that is fucked up" is through the visual medium, which is a trait that movies and games both share.

As an aside, the part that really set me into unease was when you mutilate, dismember, and burn the corpse of the driver that attempted to run you down in one of the chapters. I actually backed away from my computer for a moment and just stared dumbfounded at what had happened.
sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »

hey i saw this on rock paper shotgun you are famous
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

The best game this year... The bosses were TOO FUCKING HARD (and well, a bit unfair), but otherwise a great fun Wink
Looking forward to the planned DLC. I hope there will be at least half the amount of missions as in the full game.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »

Haha I love that article that's all "I haven't actually played this game but here's a list of reasons I made up why it's shit and the developers are worse than hitler."

PS: game fucking rules.
ink.inc
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »

possible glitch:

if you're standing next to the final boss when he blows his brains out, the bullet hits you too and you die. also the music stops (as if you beat the level) but you have to restart the battle.

great game; possibly the biggest adrenaline rush i've gotten from playing a videogame
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic