Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:20:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallHotline Miami
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Hotline Miami  (Read 29770 times)
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »

The game is pretty sweet so far, I've played the first few levels, it can be hard too, the enemies don't kid around once they're aware of you (outside standing around looking for you if you retreat/hide that is) and basically move the way you do.

I think Suda51 should play this, for whatever reason it reminded me of No More Heroes since the first media in some ways.

Game controllers are probably bugged at the moment. You can enable the 360 pad in the options but only the << button works as "back/exit" and the left analog stick, I couldn't confirm a choice to actually start the game or anything.

Still, it seems to be more suited to WASD + Mouse like various arena shooters are anyway. It controls like one.

I also have a small issue with installation on Steam, the game works but every start up it tries to install like it's the first start up because I already have a newer distributable of whatever (the Visual Studio thingie I think) so it errors out instead of complete.

Overall it's trippy. It's not disturbing or anything yet, but it may become so later on, once things get clearer (or less clear).

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »

very little work is getting done at the office today

rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »

yay it's out, now i just need to wait for the mac version

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »

it's very good.

and the music is excellent.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »

Any chance of a demo showing up?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »

downloading ...
Hand Any KeyHand Any KeyEvil:handanykey:Hand Any KeyHand Any Key

Kepa
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »

Great game. Only thing I didn't like was how each time you restarted on a boss, it played their cutscene dialog again. This was worse on some bosses than it was on others.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »

awesome game, am really enjoying it, and the music is really sweet

i found a bug in level "tension" .. i was on the second story then went back down to the first story and had this error pop up..

Code:
for object objSurfacer:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.

I clicked "ignore" a couple of times then the level loaded but the floor textures had disappeared

Ant
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 03:38:54 AM »

Holy crap this is so fucking unforgiving. Crazy
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:47 AM »

Went to the website. Tried to find a download or purchase link. Or any info. Nope.

Why?  Undecided

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Dragonmaw
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 04:23:02 AM »

Quite possibly the best game I've played this year.

Kudos.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:52 AM »

Quite possibly the best game I've played this year.

Kudos.

I second this. Actually it's definitely the best game I've played this year.

Melee is so satisfying

BTW: Do the steam achievements currently not work at all? I know there's that warning message when you play. Wasnt sure if it was related to saving or achievements. Or both.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »

I'm stuck on the third boss Sad
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »

BTW: Do the steam achievements currently not work at all? I know there's that warning message when you play. Wasnt sure if it was related to saving or achievements. Or both.

I've gotten quite a few of the achievements. I don't know if the ones that require a running count work though. Counts for killing things and what not still say 0 just like my flexibility score.

Has anyone gotten a flexibility score of more than 0?

Dunno know where to report bugs so yeah, I've noticed that the score/grade for a given chapter is being displayed on chapter + 1.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »

Goddamn this game is good.  I think RPS had it right when they said this game is like a strategy game played in fast-motion.  There's an attention to detail, range of options, and brilliantly tuned interlocking mechanics in this, that make it feel to real time combat what the original X-COM was to turn based combat.

I don't think I've ever had this much fun tying to beat the same level over and over again.  In most action games, there's more or less a correct way of doing things, and you just need to figure it out and get the timing right.  Here, there are a multitude of ways to do things, each of which is difficult in its own way.  When I try a level over, I'm not always replaying the same set of actions.  There are some things I do the same, just trying to get the timing down, and some things I do differently, to see if they'll work in my overall approach.  One time I got so in the swing of things I found I had not only killed the guy I was having trouble with, but moved on to the next room and knifed three guys before I even quite realized they were there.

This is what an action game should be.

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »

Yeah, the game's really fun. The AI's so bad, but it's what makes the game work. I like that tip: "Enemies are predictable."

I love throwing weapons at enemies. Just feels too damn good.

You get that silly, slapsticky death stuff a lot. I laughed pretty hard when, I shot into the restaurant, and everyone including the waiters busted out their uzis and sprayed in my direction. I die a lot .

Anyone know if leaderboards are in or are planned? Would love to get some friendly score battles going on.
Kepa
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »

Got the super secret ending last night.

Yeah the melee combat in the game is perfect. I like the samurai sword and knife, especially.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »

Thanks guys! I'm so glad and relieved people seem to like the game! Coffee
Got two 10/10 reviews so far, which is really amazing.

I was really scared at launch because there were a ton of last minute errors popping up because I got the brilliant idea of trying to add Xbox control support 12 hours before launch which broke the game entirely...  And ironically we then had to disable the controller support hours after the game was launched since people didn't seem able to get it working.

The problem being that the xbox controller drivers included with the controller are not up to date, and you have to download special drivers from microsoft to get it working. We'll try to bundle these with the next patch!

Went to the website. Tried to find a download or purchase link. Or any info. Nope.

Why?
Stayed up 48 hours to get the game ready for launch, updating the website was the last thing on my mind haha. We'll get on that tonight or tomorrow.

@eigenborn: that is a bug that we encountered earlier in development and thought we had fixed. It shows up very rarely apparently, we haven't seen it or had it reported for months. I will see if there's anything we can do about it. Going up and down the stairs a lot is what should be triggering it, so try to avoid that and it shouldn't pop up. I noticed we haven't made the Tension level recognize the enemies hiding in the last room as enemies, which will make it possible for the player to go back down the stairs without clearing the level which it shouldn't.

We'll be adding leaderboards for each level ASAP! Right now, bugfixing is the main priority... Crazy

Devolver and Rami from vlambeer donated some beer money for me and Dennis, we literally don't have money for food by now haha. But at least we will have celebration beers this weekend, yay Beer!
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »

Why?
Stayed up 48 hours to get the game ready for launch, updating the website was the last thing on my mind haha. We'll get on that tonight or tomorrow.

Hand Thumbs Up Right

Devolver and Rami from vlambeer donated some beer money for me and Dennis, we literally don't have money for food by now haha. But at least we will have celebration beers this weekend, yay Beer!

No worries. I'm sure once you'll get your Steam paycheck, you guys will only feast on lobsters and caviar. With golden forks. From the tan body of one of your many slaves. Hand Fork Left Well, hello there! Hand Money Right

The game looks amazing and people are drooling over its awesomeness everywhere I go.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Dragonmaw
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »

Beat it! I got the "secret" ending. Still feel like I'm missing something, though...

Is the password for the ending computer in one of the earlier levels, or is it in that level?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic