Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:26:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173765 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 03, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »

They're referring to the move to mobile, browser. F2P on the PC maybe? I don't know. The statement sounds a little strange to me too. Flash portals get a whole lot of players. Facebook games etc.

Yeah, I did some thinking on it, and I think it may be aimed at phone and tablet gaming. 

Sarcasm? PC, browser, mobile are growing. I think Ouya's position is that these platforms are growing because they are easy to develop for and/or play on. Steam, browser, mobile app stores: all easy access for purchasing, easy to get on to. Consoles: hard. But consoles are the place to be. So Ouya is trying to merge the benefits of both, hence the statement, "back to the living room."
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1001 on: March 04, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »

Sounds like babbeling.

Also, it won't get any easier to play a game than on a PS4, from what I have heard.

The PS4 has things like you can download your games instead of buying a boxed version. You can share stuff between the PS4 and the PSP vita. You can stream the PS4 to your PSP Vita. You can start playing a game on the PS4 before it has fully downloaded.
There are also all sort of stuff with save games which you can transfer between systems. Unlike some systems were you need to start all over if you bought a new console of the same generation.
I think the PS4 is surpassing the OUYA in every aspect, from ease of use, accessiblity and whatever you can think of.
The only thing the OUYA is better than the PS4 is price, but then, cheap doesn't mean it's worth what you pay for.

Also, can you enlighten me how easy is it to develop for the OUYA? And why would it be easier than to develop for the PS4?

Master of all trades.
AshfordPride
« Reply #1002 on: March 04, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »

Sarcasm?

I meant that it seems like Ouya wants to put the sort of stuff you'd expect from phone and tablet games into a console setting.  So yeah man, the stuff you said.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1003 on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »

Also, can you enlighten me how easy is it to develop for the OUYA? And why would it be easier than to develop for the PS4?
If you have a build pipeline for Android, my understanding is that you pretty much just have to hook up a gamepad interface and make it so that you can distribute a freely playable version, and you more or less have an Ouya game that you can submit to their store.

Am I missing something?

How would it be easier for people like us to develop for PS4 than Ouya?

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: March 04, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »

Not really, many games that work on Android won't work straight forward on OUYA. Also, since dev tools for Android arn't very good in the first place, I don't expect them to be so good on OUYA.
Native on Android is painful.

Master of all trades.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1005 on: March 04, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »

I use Unity myself. It's pretty nice.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: March 04, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »

It seems like you are ignoring the aspect of how easy it is to get officially on a platform compared to another one. I don't think ps4 will accept every ouya game made.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 04, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »

Sarcasm?

I meant that it seems like Ouya wants to put the sort of stuff you'd expect from phone and tablet games into a console setting.  So yeah man, the stuff you said.

Yeah I wasn't sure - on the fence. I don't think that's what they want... but sometimes it seems like that's what they are doing. But what do I know?
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 04, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »

Not really, many games that work on Android won't work straight forward on OUYA. Also, since dev tools for Android arn't very good in the first place, I don't expect them to be so good on OUYA.

PS4 still requires a dev license.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1009 on: March 04, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »

PS4 still requires a dev license.

It requires a series of emails, as well as probably taking out a small business loan to purchase the development kit. Basically, you have to take game dev seriously as a business venture before getting into real console development. First step would be registering an LLC, which most hobbyists won't be doing. Ever.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 04, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »

Is that so? It seemed that the PS3 required a great deal more. You needed a good prototype, and even then they had to understand that your game would sell. Is the PS4 different?
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1011 on: March 04, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »

Yea. It's a lot different than old PS3. They are really loosening up for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/306848930052841472

I do know that the PS3 IDE stuff has changed a lot, and has general purpose exporting and whatnots, meaning you don't have to write quite so much exotic code as you did at launch. See: Cross Play/Cross Buy games.

Native Vita'd be a lot cheaper to get into than PS4, because of the devkit stuff, though PS4 is x86, so it's simple to jump in. And Vita is ARM?
Anyway, there's been a lot of talk about indies going to Vita. It's a goldmine actually, and everyone is super fun and excited to play indie games, (not shit apps) on the go.

You don't need to do this for PSM, which is essentially a portable(!!) XNA (that's actively supported).
(full disclosure, I'm working on a few PSM games)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:45:57 PM by Ouren » Logged

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »

That is a big difference. I guess price is the reason to go to Ouya.... What is happening to the world?
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1013 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »

I think Ouya is great for hobbyist stuff, and could be a fun little toy, but I don't think it's for us or what we're trying to do. I classify Ouya under "neat distraction". As I've said earlier in the thread, I look forward to is being my set-top emulator cube a few years down the road.

Is the thing out yet? Shocked

Edit: Nintendo's dev units are also a few grand, though I shouldn't give a raw number. I don't wanna burn any bridges! But it's not this much anymore.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:16:19 PM by Ouren » Logged

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1014 on: March 06, 2013, 01:48:45 PM »

Making it easier to put your game on OUYA is not necesseraly a good thing.
Take a look at the Android store, it's littered with hundred of thousands of junk Apps.

So it might be easier to put your game, but nobody is going to find it anyway.

Master of all trades.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1015 on: March 06, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »

Making it easier to put your game on OUYA is not necesseraly a good thing.
Take a look at the Android store, it's littered with hundred of thousands of junk Apps.

True, but I am still wondering what happens when you think Sumerian Blood is good while sony is not willing to add it to the ps4 store.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1016 on: March 07, 2013, 01:34:52 AM »

Personally, I don't mind if I have to wade through a thousand Angry Zombie Jewel-ville clones to find my copy of soon-to-be-played-to-death embryonic Indie Mc-Cool Shoestring-Budget, which also comes with the warm fuzzy feeling of helping another little guy realise their personal dream. I don't mind, because it may not even *be* in the box with "pay (tens or hundreds of) thousands of dollars to join the party" printed on the side.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1017 on: March 07, 2013, 05:02:24 AM »

Personally, I don't mind if I have to wade through a thousand Angry Zombie Jewel-ville clones to find my copy of soon-to-be-played-to-death embryonic Indie Mc-Cool Shoestring-Budget, which also comes with the warm fuzzy feeling of helping another little guy realise their personal dream. I don't mind, because it may not even *be* in the box with "pay (tens or hundreds of) thousands of dollars to join the party" printed on the side.

It's very nice that you would, but the fact is, people won't look for your game unless you are some kind of indie rockstar...
and anyway basic economics state that under perfect competition (which we can assume a casual-oriented appstore is), the price is bound to approach the running cost, which for games is pretty much 0 (all the costs are sustained to produce the first copy, additional copies are free).
So I was never really amazed that the AppStores went from goldmine to free-to-play, and I think that free to play itself will not be sustainable on the long term... the structure of an open market requires games to be effectively free.

Thinking that the good will of a few indie gamers can remove this trend is naive, because informed gamers cannot usually sustain all the development cost of a game as they are just too few and you are still forced to compete (both on price and production values) with other games for their casual gamers, just to pay for your expenses.

So yeah, I do think that the Ouya's business model is short sighted and damaging to the developers as they aim to sell hardware in exchange for free games which YOU will make without getting anything back.
Sure, there will be an handful Angry-Birds-like that will make 100x of the investment back, but the average indie will be at a loss...
and I don't know if they do this on purpose, or they are honestly believing that their console is a long-term opportunity for the devs, but their endorsing of jailbreaking definitely looks like encouraging people to think that Ouya "has free games", one way or another.
And that's a big red flag to me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:13:28 AM by _Tommo_ » Logged

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1018 on: March 07, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »

http://www.ouya.tv/let-the-uploads-begin/

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1019 on: March 07, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »

i don't mind bad games being on the ouya, what i do mind is malicious games -- games that are viruses and destroy your ouya, games that steal your personal information (through spoofing or some other method), etc. -- there doesn't seem to be any safeguards against that, since everyone is free to upload whatever game they want to the marketplace without any kind of checks. i mean i assume it'll at least have a reporting system so that malicious games can be removed, but that won't help the first people targeted, and the person can just upload some more to catch new people

basically there's problems with closed platforms and problems with open platforms, the best is when it's somewhere in between (more open than sony or microsoft or nintendo, but more closed than PC games)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic