Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:40:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173827 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: March 31, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »

Are there any cool games that are not just causal phone games?

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 31, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »

Best game ever, 10/10 GOTY.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1082 on: March 31, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »

http://indiestatik.com/2013/03/30/ouno-the-killer-apps-of-the-ouya/

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1083 on: March 31, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: March 31, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen an article about the Ouya that didn't have a comment by James Coote. Lips Sealed

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: March 31, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

Woah, Slender Man can get ran over by a car in this game. That's a first day buy to me!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 31, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »

ashamed to admit this but i actually kinda like the graphics of the flying car game. i played too much snes starfox growing up and now i have a soft spot for early textureless 3d shit plz help
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:20:22 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:51 AM »

Any OUYA owners here? I've been looking for people's firsthand impressions of the system. Both as a gamer and a developer. I feel like the success of it is totally dependent on the excitement of it and I can't really tell if the excitement has faded or not.

We released our game DONUT GET! as an OUYA launch title and not too many downloads to far. I don't actually have an OUYA though so I still don't know what the full experience is like! Wink

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: April 02, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »

Any OUYA owners here? I've been looking for people's firsthand impressions of the system. Both as a gamer and a developer. I feel like the success of it is totally dependent on the excitement of it and I can't really tell if the excitement has faded or not.

We released our game DONUT GET! as an OUYA launch title and not too many downloads to far. I don't actually have an OUYA though so I still don't know what the full experience is like! Wink
They're kind of slow with sending the OUYAs (though it's not surprising considering the amount of OUYAs they have to send). I haven't even received a 'your OUYA has been shipped' e-mail yet. Anyone here that has received one yet?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1089 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:44 AM »

only OUYA owners will be devellopers until at least june lol
don't expect richness

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1090 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:27 AM »

How does the business model work, technically?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 02, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »

well on a technical level, it's a lot like taking a huge shit. you eat, the laborious and intensive digestive process occurs, and at the end you have a big pile of shit.
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: April 02, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »

Thanks for the replies you guys! I dug around and see that the consoles are just trickling in as well. Now everyone's just looking forward to the next June launch.

How does the business model work, technically?

The business model is everything is free-to-play (or free to download), but there's an option for in-app purchases. Typical 70/30 split I believe. It's kinda similar to XBLA, but you have an option for how you want to structure your payments. Some games are just locked demos, some in app purchases more more stuff. Some offer arcade like structuring (play X amount of times per day unless you pay).

I became interested after I went to a Unity Los Angeles Meetup where the OUYA Folks came in to talk about it (http://blog.sokay.net/2013/01/23/unity-la-meetup-meet-ouya/). I've been skeptical about it since I've heard of it but seeing the developer excitement and learning that it wasn't much work to port an Android game, I decided to give it a shot.

I used Donut Get! as a test, mainly to see if it was worth it and to figure out the process. It took me about 2 1/2 days of fiddling. I used their Unity plug-in, which works well once you figure out all the steps to get it working. It's been under constant development since like Nov, so you have to dig around the forums to find info, a lot of which is outdated. I just made the game free, it didn't have structure for in-app purchases. I figure I'll revamp it if there's even an audience.

I bought a little Android computer to test on. I wasn't able to get the OUYA framework stuff working correctly, I think it might've been down because of the impending launch or something. But it was helpful for testing out how the game looked on a monitor. The approval process is pretty straightforward, they were mainly concerned with getting in some UI fixes to allow the game to work just with a controller and stopping sound when pausing on the system menu. I was just guessing at this stuff because I didn't have an actual test environment!

Since the 28th I've got 15 downloads. Now the devs seem kinda pissed about how the "Sandbox" is working for discoverability, so it seems like business as usual.

If you're interested you can register at https://devs.ouya.tv/ and check out the forums and documentation yourself.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: April 02, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is still on the Roadworks.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »

well on a technical level, it's a lot like taking a huge shit. you eat, the laborious and intensive digestive process occurs, and at the end you have a big pile of shit.
so, it's like making a AAA game then?

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1095 on: April 03, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532967&pagenumber=151&perpage=40#post414063460

Right now it seems extremely feasible to both A ) write an app which charges customers without their consent and B ) recompile the OS so that you can "buy" everything for free

lol

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/ouya-review-founding-backer-edition/

also lol

piece of trash
poe
« Reply #1096 on: April 03, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »

Right now it seems extremely feasible to both A ) write an app which charges customers without their consent and B ) recompile the OS so that you can "buy" everything for free

Holy shit how did they mess up that badly?
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1097 on: April 03, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »

Lag was a bit of a problem with the controller, not enough to be noticeable in casual games but those requiring more precise timing it can be a bit of a problem. We're curious to see whether this comes down to this specific iteration of the controller or whether it's something OUYA owners will simply have to live with.

That's like the main reason to use a gamepad in the first place rather than just plaster some buttons onto a touchscreen. This is why I cannot play Contra on my phone despite the ready availability of NES ROMs and emulators for Android. The console will not sell well at all if this is not fixed.

WTF could be causing this lag?

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 03, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »

S E E M S . R E A S O N A B L E .
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1099 on: April 03, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »

Holy shit how did they mess up that badly?

maybe because they had only a few million dollars in funding, zero testing, and a rush to market, and are composed largely of inexperienced people? well, it's not that people, even some on this thread, couldn't have predicted those issues (*points at self with both hands*), it's probably more that they were so optimistic that they didn't even imagine anything could go wrong, and they thought they could get by by rushing it out to almost meet their deadline

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic