Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:47:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175313 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: April 09, 2013, 05:46:32 AM »

so far the ouya kinda seems like one of those chinese pirate consoles, except with a marketing budget
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1141 on: April 09, 2013, 05:49:27 AM »

so far the ouya kinda seems like one of those chinese pirate consoles, except with a marketing budget

I live in China, and most of the pirated consoles here are hacked xboxes or playstations. If you can't afford that, there is a huge market in free mmos.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 09, 2013, 06:17:42 AM »

no i meant like the canoo or dingoo or whatever it's called. thing that looks like a ds lite without the top screen and runs a bunch of emulators.
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 09, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

no i meant like the canoo or dingoo or whatever it's called. thing that looks like a ds lite without the top screen and runs a bunch of emulators.

Those machines have kind of been replaced by knock off Android devices. Behold!!

Interesting side question: Why does the Ouya get more hate than something like the Wikipad or Project Sheild? Is it really so awful that poor people get to play video games too? Seriously, I don't get all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: April 09, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

Interesting side question: Why does the Ouya get more hate than something like the Wikipad or Project Sheild? Is it really so awful that poor people get to play video games too? Seriously, I don't get all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here.
probably steam fanboys

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »

probably steam fanboys

Quote from: poe
literally this

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1146 on: April 09, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »

Wikipad and Shield are both mobile game platforms. The Ouya is a mobile game platform that is stationary.

That's why I hate it, can't speak for others though. I'm just not going to pay 100 dollars to play shitty mobile games on my tv. That's not why I buy consoles and that's not why I bought my tv.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1147 on: April 09, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »

This is something that's been bothering me as well.

I'm really excited about the Retron5. I know it's a very niche product, and will be sold to a very limited audience. But I'm part of that audience and I'm glad it's getting produced. If Hyperkin can turn a profit off of it, good for them. The reason I'm excited is because the Retron5 is a device that uses modern technology to let me play my old cartridge games on modern screens.

Now take a look at the OUYA. With this device they are clearly focused on making game hardware and software cheaper and more accessible for the average consumer. In my mind this is a great approach to the console model. I would love to see some lower-budget titles get produced for the OUYA. I don't need all of my games to be AAA boom-fests.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1148 on: April 09, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »

Wikipad and Shield are both mobile game platforms. The Ouya is a mobile game platform that is stationary.

That's why I hate it, can't speak for others though. I'm just not going to pay 100 dollars to play shitty mobile games on my tv. That's not why I buy consoles and that's not why I bought my tv.

That makes absolutely no sense. The OUYA is a stationary system, and was designed to be stationary. The fact that it was produced with similar hardware to mobile devices, and an operating system that is popular on mobile devices, is irrelevant. The OUYA was designed to have a standard game controller as its primary input. All of the games that will succeed on the OUYA are going to be designed for that input.

You're just exhibiting a bias against mobile development. But mobile development is a fundamentally different beast. The OUYA has a touchpad, but no touchscreen. The same games that are popular on smartphones are not going to translate well when ported to the OUYA. The games that end up doing well on OUYA will be the smaller indie controller-focused games that currently find an outlet on Steam and XBLA, like Super Meat Boy.

If you want to make an inexpensive console, of COURSE you're going to use mobile components. They're designed to be small and efficient, and thanks to the smartphone market they're cheaper than they ever have been. And of course you're going to use an OS like Android. It's a free OS that they don't have to pay licencing on, and it already works with the kind of components they're using.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 09, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/NathanFouts/20130405/189905/Design_Tips_When_Porting_Mobile_to_Console.php

Interesting article about mistakes mobile devs are making when bringing games to Ouya

Think happy thoughts.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »

Points 1, 2, 3, and 5 are good for general game development all around. Can't tell you how many games I've played that had a prompt for two options and you couldn't tell which one you had selected, or that didn't have an Exit option.

forwardresent
« Reply #1151 on: April 09, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »

Hearing about the addition of OUYA support to GameMaker has rekindled my interest a little.

Those tips were interesting and it's something I'll keep bookmarked just in case.
Zenfar
Level 0

Developer, Code Monkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »

Surprised by some of the negative reviews of the OUYA.  I mean it is still in development and it is not like the X-Box and PS3 didn't have their launch issues.  With software updates they can change things to keep their open console promise.  There is always going to be a market for a $99 console.  

Glen (@RealZenfar)
http://www.zenfar.com
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 09, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »

There is always going to be a market for a $99 console.

Exactly!!

Hell, I really wasn't intending to buy an Ouya at first. The whole thing sounded a little too much like the knock off Android devices I posted above. But once I thought about it for a little bit I realized that it really did provide some stuff that a Roku box or Boxee can't. And at the end of the day, the Ouya's real market is in the streaming media box space.

Well. . . that and the MiiPC. http://www.miipc.com/
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 10, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »

How does the ouya compare to 3DS performance?

EDIT: forget what I asked:

3DS:
15,3 Mtri/s
800 Mpx/s

Ouya
50 unlit 32 lit Mtri/s
474 Mpx/s

Xbox360 (not sure, official spec notoriously bullsit)
500 Mtri/s
8 Gpx/s

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:19:35 AM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: April 10, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »

How does the ouya compare to 3DS performance?

EDIT: forget what I asked:

3DS:
15,3 Mtri/s
800 Mpx/s

Ouya
50 unlit 32 lit Mtri/s
474 Mpx/s

Xbox360 (not sure, official spec notoriously bullsit)
500 Mtri/s
8 Gpx/s

L0lwut?!!

Please explain what the hell this has to do with anything. Here's a picture of a potato.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 10, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »

Get that potato out of here, it doesn't have as much power as an Xbox and is therefore useless to society

Think happy thoughts.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1157 on: April 10, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »

Because everyone already knows those two things are stupid.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 10, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »

hey man if you wanna hook a potato up to your tv that's your prerogative

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1159 on: April 10, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »

Get on my level, bitches.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic