Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:12:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173749 times)
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1220 on: April 12, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »

A lot of consoles are a bitch to program for.

Making a console, or any platform for that matter, easy to develop for is something that has to be designed in from the start.

If the hardware designer has other goals in mind (i.e. making it easy for the company to port its own arcade games to the console as in Sega's case), that can have a negative affect on its third party support, which, historically, seems to be a main determining factor in a console's success.

the atari 2600, the ps2, and the ps3, were all also notoriously difficult to program for. yet they were all very successful. i don't think difficulty to program for is the only factor, or even the main factor

Facilitating a large catalog of games has, historically, usually been a good thing. How well that works out for Ouya relative to PS4/Durango/Wii U remains to be seen. I would say, though, that the intention of having an opened up console platform designed for an age of digital distribution is something positive.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 13, 2013, 05:17:46 AM »

How well that works out for Ouya relative to PS4/Durango/Wii U remains to be seen.

I get the impression that Ouya isn't really trying to compete with Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. You're right that there will be a comparison as far as how well the game library contributes to market success. But I really think that the Ouya is gunning more for set top boxes and smart TVs TBH.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 13, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »

How well that works out for Ouya relative to PS4/Durango/Wii U remains to be seen.

I get the impression that Ouya isn't really trying to compete with Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. You're right that there will be a comparison as far as how well the game library contributes to market success. But I really think that the Ouya is gunning more for set top boxes and smart TVs TBH.

If they pull that off (all the streaming stuff works well, they get netflix, etc) then the "set top box" angle could be a huge advantage. I know a few different people who wanted a blu-ray player and ended up buying a PS3 because it was near the same price and also played games. A lot of people were in the same situation with the PS2 and DVDs too

Think happy thoughts.
feminazi
« Reply #1223 on: April 14, 2013, 03:50:30 AM »

im a profesional opinion da ouya is dum
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 14, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »

They posted this chart to Kickstarter backers, showing the planned shipments

Looking forward to getting mine, I already have some romsets ready for loading on it. Although from the chart it might take a few weeks  Sad

Think happy thoughts.
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 15, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »

well this isn't very promising. . .

On the other hand, it did score higher the Nexus 7.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:14:22 AM by JScythe » Logged
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1226 on: April 15, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »

I put together a graph of the OUYA Downloads/Stats for my game DONUT GET!

It's not realtime, I have to update the daily analytics data OUYA makes available.

It doesn't have any in-app purchases so it's completely free. How many downloads it get will determine whether or not I'll try to take it seriously for my future games.

JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 15, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »

I put together a graph of the OUYA Downloads/Stats for my game DONUT GET!

It's not realtime, I have to update the daily analytics data OUYA makes available.

It doesn't have any in-app purchases so it's completely free. How many downloads it get will determine whether or not I'll try to take it seriously for my future games.

So how many active units are currently out there? I'm assuming that you're aiming for a percentage of the install base. If you're just looking at the raw number of downloads, how did you come to your goal number?
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1228 on: April 15, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »

So how many active units are currently out there? I'm assuming that you're aiming for a percentage of the install base. If you're just looking at the raw number of downloads, how did you come to your goal number?
I don't have a hard goal but I wouldn't even consider taking it seriously if I didn't get at least 1000 downloads. Considering s_l_m's graph, the 60,000 user base won't even have systems until over a month from now. So maybe my numbers aren't bad for how few systems there are in the wild right now.

My main concern for OUYA was that if people were even going to download a game, even a basic free one like mine. When it's clear that there's a sizable audience, I'd like to put some effort into making a better game and seeing what kind of revenue it generates.

If that graph is any accurate, there are about 6000 units out. So about 4% of users have downloaded it so far.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1229 on: April 15, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »

did anyone see the "the ball" gameplay?

looks worse than quake 1

one of the comments wasn't joking when he said system shock 2, a game from 1999, looks better than this.

I wonder if they spent any time in trying to optimize the game or make it look acceptable with reduced graphics, or they just turned down everything as far as they could go and called it a day.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: April 15, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »

My estimate for how many units are actually in peoples homes:

I was ~the 11000 backer and I ordered the normal single controller unit (which they say is the first to ship). I haven't gotten mine yet so I am guessing (backed up by the graph) that there are less than 10000 active units currently, probably significantly less because I haven't even gotten the notification that comes a week before they ship yours apparently.

So this is just an educated guess, but I think only around ~5000 units are actually out there... Kind of disappointing

Think happy thoughts.
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1231 on: April 15, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »

looks worse than quake 1

one of the comments wasn't joking when he said system shock 2, a game from 1999, looks better than this.

I wonder if they spent any time in trying to optimize the game or make it look acceptable with reduced graphics, or they just turned down everything as far as they could go and called it a day.
Sheesh, it's like night and day compared to the PC version. It probably has to do with the PC shaders not being supported and lighting effects needing to be turned down. Are there any Android Unreal games that look decent? Maybe the Android version of Unreal isn't there yet.

JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 15, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »

looks worse than quake 1

Sheesh, it's like night and day compared to the PC version. It probably has to do with the PC shaders not being supported and lighting effects needing to be turned down. Are there any Android Unreal games that look decent? Maybe the Android version of Unreal isn't there yet.

The only three Unreal games on Android that I can think of off the top of my head are "Dungeon Defenders," "Demons' Score," and "Wild Blood." There are probably more that I'm missing though.

I'm glad that the physics seem intact and that the frame rate is consistent, but I really didn't think they'd have to dial it back that far. Still, comparing the graphics to System Shock 2 is a little harsh. The Tegra 3 sits somewhere between the Playstation 2 and original Xbox in graphics performance.

I'd expect this to be a baseline though since the folks at Ouya weren't able to get hardware level documentation out of Nvidia. This means that the Ouya dev kit revolves around OpenGL rather than down to the metal custom APIs. No surprise really. Nvidia would have to be full on retarded to hand over hardware level documentation to open platform.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1233 on: April 15, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »

the framerate does seem consistent but it seems to be barely pushing 30fps.

30 fps is playable, but considering how bad it looks that's kinda discouraging.

check out infinity blade

looks to be about 30fps or lower and it looks much better. not sure how the iphone's hardware compares to the ouya but surely it's much weaker?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 15, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »

How does the ouya compare to 3DS performance?

EDIT: forget what I asked:

3DS:
15,3 Mtri/s
800 Mpx/s

Ouya
50 unlit 32 lit Mtri/s
474 Mpx/s

Xbox360 (not sure, official spec notoriously bullsit)
500 Mtri/s
8 Gpx/s

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1235 on: April 15, 2013, 07:46:52 PM »

this looks really shitty, if the ouya can't make better than that, it's not worth bothering

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 15, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »

E Zachary Knight
 15 Apr 2013 at 10:36 am PST 

When you actually read the list and what comes before and after the Ouya, 73rd is actually pretty good. A lot of what comes before it is higher end, way more expensive fare. What comes after it are again, often more expensive, but typically what is seen as good consumer fare.

Looking at what the Ouya beats out, pretty much the entire Asus Transformer series. It beats out every iteration of the Galaxy S II. A whole slew of Sony Xperia phone and tablets fall short as well. Also the Barnes and Noble Nook HD and HD+ as well as the Kindle Fire HD (places 126).

What comes before the Ouya are the latest tech, such as the Galaxy S III and a whole bunch of things that most consumers probably never heard of and which most likely costs many times more than $100. 

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/190519/Developing_for_Ouya_Heres_how_it_stacks_up_to_todays_mobile_devices.php

NOW the real threat is the rumored 99$ discless xbox360 (always online like the ouya) plan to be release with the durango.

EDIT:
If m$ pull an ouya out of the xbox360 that would be the single smartest move ever on console gaming dev! Strong platform with huge install base, army of good games, maybe updated performance (more GB), Already optimized engine, good enough graphics, if they go app store style (win8) we have a winner!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:17:39 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1237 on: April 15, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »

EDIT:
If m$ pull an ouya out of the xbox360 that would be the single smartest move ever on console gaming dev! Strong platform with huge install base, army of good games, maybe updated performance (more GB), Already optimized engine, good enough graphics, if they go app store style (win8) we have a winner!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rumored "digital" $99 360 supposed to not have a disc drive? Meaning that any game you purchased for it would have to be installed on whatever hard drive it comes with?

After already seeing how Microsoft charged for upgrade hard drive's for the original 360, I'm not confident in how popular a digital-only budget version of the 360 would be.

After seeing how Windows 8 has been doing, I'm also not convinced that a digital-only store will work out well for Microsoft. I still remember the debacle that was Games for Windows.

There are any number of products that could potentially compete for a similar market as the Ouya. But I seriously doubt any of them will come from Microsoft. The big M has just been blundering from one mistake to the next in recent years. I'm feeling they could be in serious trouble going into whatever the Durango turns out to be. They stink of the same hubris that Sony was exhibiting going into the PS3.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 15, 2013, 11:24:01 PM »

1. Yep no disk dive mean lower cost, = affordable console
2. Depend on how smartly they pull their head of their ass this time
3. win8 does not make sense for mobile or desktop, might make sense for a xbox (app driven console with kinect)
4. Yeah the assumption is that m$ is smart of course

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1239 on: April 16, 2013, 07:18:37 AM »

1. Yep no disk dive mean lower cost, = affordable console
2. Depend on how smartly they pull their head of their ass this time
3. win8 does not make sense for mobile or desktop, might make sense for a xbox (app driven console with kinect)
4. Yeah the assumption is that m$ is smart of course

Those are some compelling arguments. While Windows 8 isn't particularly good for mobile, and is atrocious for desktop, I can see where that style of OS would work well with a gamepad in a controlled environment like a home console. Stripping out the disc drive would not only lower costs, but would also make the hardware for the system simpler to design and theoretically more reliable.

Another point in favor of Microsoft making such a move is the potential extension of the 360's lifespan. While some people are all hot and bothered to kick a new hardware cycle off, the truth is that the greatest stability is to be found in the established hardware cycle. Trying to go all-in on a new hardware paradigm is very risky. Just look at the current performance of the Wii U and Vita for proof. There's going to be greater inertia going into the PS4 and Durango, and Sony and Microsoft would be wise to figure this inertia into their plans. Providing a revised, budget-friendly version of the 360 could be a great way to ease into the console transition.

And yes, the big question mark is how Microsoft will handle the whole affair. If they play their cards right, it could be a wise decision that will keep their brand strong through a difficult period of change. It could also end up being a fiasco on the same level as the PSP Go. (the other recent attempt at an all-digital game platform)

The biggest risk I forsee with an all-digital budget 360 is bandwidth. The geographic locations most likely to be interested in a cheap 360 are the same locations least likely to have high-speed internet. A lot of the market that would love cheap 360's would be very shy about downloading multi-gig games.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic