Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:23:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 173766 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1240 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »

check out infinity blade

looks to be about 30fps or lower and it looks much better.

I suspect the main difference you're seeing there is that between a game designed for the hardware you're running it on and a game that was ported from a more powerful system. I've not played either game and I don't have either platform, but purely from those videos: Infinity Blade looks to me like it's lower poly-count and gets a lot of its good looks from well-chosen textures and models that play to the poly-count and lighting well. While The Ball looks like it relied a lot on a nicer lighting model and fancy shaders to look half-decent before and now it's lost them it's flailing like a drunk in a canal.

Compare that The Ball video to Shadowgun or Dead Trigger, which run fine on my first-gen Galaxy S phone from three years ago, and look significantly better doing so... probably because they were created specifically for mobile devices.

Granted, the Ouya is a seriously underpowered device compared to 'proper' gaming consoles and you can only expect to see mobile-level graphics on it, but I expect that taking that The Ball video as representative of its capabilities is equivalent to showing off your PSX with Warhawk instead of Vagrant Story or something.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1241 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »

There are any number of products that could potentially compete for a similar market as the Ouya. But I seriously doubt any of them will come from Microsoft.

What llol? Who would buy an Ouya to play shitty mobile game ports when you could buy a $99 dollar Xbox and play all these XBLA games as well as XBLIG, which have about the same quality as the Android app store.

If a $99 Xbox comes out there would be no reason for the average gamer to buy an Ouya. I mean, there is already little reason but this would give them absolutely no reason unless they wanted to mod/develop for it. And a console that only caters to that market probably isn't worth developing for.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1242 on: April 16, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »

Suggest wordfiltering all instances of Kickstarter in this thread with Flopstarter.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1243 on: April 16, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »

If a $99 Xbox comes out there would be no reason for the average gamer to buy an Ouya.
Unless that $99 also happens to come attached with a 2 year contract for XBox Live Gold at $9.99 / month.

Then it comes out to about $99+24*$10-$.24 => $338.76.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1244 on: April 16, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »

If a $99 Xbox comes out there would be no reason for the average gamer to buy an Ouya.
Unless that $99 also happens to come attached with a 2 year contract for XBox Live Gold at $9.99 / month.

Then it comes out to about $99+24*$10-$.24 => $338.76.

I don't think Xbox Live Gold is anywhere near as essential as you claim it is.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: April 16, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »

uhhhhhh you have to subscribe for 2 years of xbla for the "$99" xbox

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Games-Promotions/Xbox+360+4GB+Console+With+Kinect/pcmcat277800050003.c?id=pcmcat277800050003

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: April 16, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »

Whoops.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1247 on: April 16, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »

uhhh that's not the same thing

The rumored $99 dollar Xbox is an entirely disc-less ARM powered system. http://bgr.com/2012/11/21/xbox-lite-rumor-2013-xbox-tv/

Completely different system and it hasn't been announced and is just a rumor.

And if this Xbox Lite does force you to subscribe, then yeah I would agree it's shit. But since it's unannounced no one has any idea what it's business model will be.

edit: speaking of which there was another msoft leak today with some more info: http://pastebin.com/avbwJc17 (neogaf thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541176)
Xbox Mini/Xbox TV: Yes, this is happening, although as far as I know, it’s a whole different team over at MS that are handling this. As has been reported its main purpose is to compete with Apple TV, so expect this thing to be small and around $100.
It contains the 360 SOC (similar to the one in the Durango), however no disc drive is included (to decrease size). But of course you can still play any XBLA/Games on Demand game. That’s all I really know about the xTV so I’ll leave it at that. Thurrott seems to know more than anyone else about this, so go ask him.

I was confused if this Xbox Lite would play 'On Demand' games, and if it does then that's fantastic. I was expecting it to just play XBLA/XBLIG games. I just hope it doesn't force you to buy Xbox Live Gold. No way that the Ouya could compete with that.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:39:29 PM by allen » Logged
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 16, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »

"ARM powered" in one and "360 SOC" in the other are a bit contradictory. The 360 architecture is PowerPC + ATI.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1249 on: April 16, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »

the arm thing is from an earlier rumor though, this is from new information. surely some details would have changed.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1250 on: April 16, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

Still sounds fishy. If it could really play any Games on Demand title, it would have to come with a frighteningly large hard drive. (assuming it really isn't going to have any optical drive) Games on Demand titles are full 360 games. They don't really have any memory limits (as many XBLA games do) and can take up multiple DVD discs. We're talking around 4.5 Gigs each, on average. And I've seen how Microsoft has approached hard drives already. Having to purchase expansion space for a $99 digital-only Xbox is not going to be a value.

And that's not even the real problem. As I already pointed out, the bandwidth of downloading those games would be the real impediment. The kind of market that would be interested in a $99 XBox 360 is less likely to be able to afford, or even have access to high-speed internet. You can't pitch a budget box like that when it's fueled by expensive services. Anyone who can actually afford high-speed internet would probably prefer to just pick up a regular XBox 360 and be able to play disc-based games as well.

If you want to pitch a budget-priced console with a digital-only service, the software needs to be budget-priced as well. That's part of the reason why there might actually be a market for something like the OUYA.
JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:22 AM »

There are any number of products that could potentially compete for a similar market as the Ouya. But I seriously doubt any of them will come from Microsoft.

What llol? Who would buy an Ouya to play shitty mobile game ports when you could buy a $99 dollar Xbox and play all these XBLA games as well as XBLIG, which have about the same quality as the Android app store.

If a $99 Xbox comes out there would be no reason for the average gamer to buy an Ouya. I mean, there is already little reason but this would give them absolutely no reason unless they wanted to mod/develop for it. And a console that only caters to that market probably isn't worth developing for.

Who would pay $60 a year to use their own internet connection?

Yeah, I did it, for awhile. Now I'm kind of thinking about selling my old 360 and buying a used PS3. Then again, why not just wait for the PS4 and buy the Ouya on the side as a streaming device that runs emulators?
Nuke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1252 on: April 21, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »

The Ouya's specs are too low for me to consider it a big deal, really.

Do you think the Wii U will trump the Ouya, specs-wise?
Uykered
« Reply #1253 on: April 21, 2013, 05:37:13 PM »

Ya, Wii U is a lot more powerful.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1254 on: April 21, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »

The Ouya's specs are too low for me to consider it a big deal, really.

Do you think the Wii U will trump the Ouya, specs-wise?

wii u nothing, the ORIGINAL wii is way more powerful than the ouya

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »

well, nope, not at all.
Ouya has a 1.7 Ghz modern quad core, while the wii has a sad and old PPC single core running at 729MHz.
GPU side Ouya has both more raw horsepower and more features, because it is capable of "next gen" shaders, while the wii is basically a DirectX 7 machine.
And has 1 gb RAM vs 256+256 mb... so by specs, the ouya is many times better than a wii.

however, ouya is supposed to render in FullHD(!), versus the incredibly small 480p of the wii...
so yeah, in the end the ouya could manage to be even more underpowered than a wii.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:06:41 PM by _Tommo_ » Logged

Uykered
« Reply #1256 on: April 21, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »

1080p with 3 sprites on screen!
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 21, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »

well, nope, not at all.
Ouya has a 1.7 Ghz modern quad core, while the wii has a sad and old PPC single core running at 729MHz.
GPU side Ouya has both more raw horsepower and more features, because it is capable of "next gen" shaders, while the wii is basically a DirectX 7 machine.
And has 1 gb RAM vs 256+256 mb... so by specs, the ouya is many times better than a wii.

however, ouya is supposed to render in FullHD(!), versus the incredibly small 480p of the wii...
so yeah, in the end the ouya could manage to be even more underpowered than a wii.
what are you some kind of nerd
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1258 on: April 21, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

well, nope, not at all.

what are you some kind of nerd

I've been researching computery stuff for a month now, and I'm proud to say I understood all of that.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1259 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »

what about in gigaflops? i saw a comparison in gigaflops and saw that the wii had more than the ouya

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic