Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:45:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175475 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1820 on: September 18, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »

https://www.ouya.tv/a-word-from-julie-on-the-ftg-fund/
I'm happy with the rewritten rules. OUYA is on the right track. Smiley

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1821 on: September 18, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »

I have to wonder if it's too little, too late .. Waaagh!
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1822 on: October 02, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »

Depends on if we get another two Towerfalls or not. Quality games could save the system yet... and an Ouya S controller.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1823 on: October 02, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »

I sold an Ouya at the store today.
I told them to get Towerfall.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1824 on: October 29, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »

I bought an Ouya at a store today.
Amazing Frog, Bombsquad.

How does one get input to work in Gamemaker for this thing?

EnigmaDevFan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 08, 2014, 01:14:54 PM »

I bought an Ouya at a store today.
Amazing Frog, Bombsquad.

How does one get input to work in Gamemaker for this thing?

Bombsqaud is decent, but I wouldn't waste my money on it. I bought Amazing Frog with the impression the full version actually had a story, objective, etc but everything in the full is the same but with 1 new level which is the sewers, still no objective, the zombie frogs don't kill you, nothing can - no way to "win" or "lose". The games with a few exceptions are a big dissapointment and won't stand a chances in today's market.

You need GMS Pro + the Android module or in my case I have Master Collection.

If you want to develop for it with GM, I'm doing that but only free games. To sell you need IAP (in app purchaces API), Manuel777 made a tutorial on this at the GMC:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=570978

Though his tutorial involves tinkering with GMS's android runner source, don't know why YYG seem to be allowing this as it clearly breaks the EULA they wrote. But to be on the safe side I'm wait for GMS's 1.3 release so this can be done in a more stavpble fashion via extensions. If you use Manuel's methed you'll have to edit files that are in GMS's directory which if you mess up something you should in there you'll be screwed and have to re-instal GMs.

As for controller support, you can use the traditional keyboard_check* gml functions, heck, even the DND, but the vk_* constants don't work the same on OUYA, on Windows to get the "O" key use keyboard_check*(ord("O")) but on ouya the "O" button is something else this goes for all the buttons. I can't ckeck my project today but I'll get back to you tomorrow and tell you what the vk_*/ord equivalents are for each button. Instead of vk/word you can you numbers, it's a little complicated.

If you want multi player too there is a more simple approach YYG added gamepad_* functions which also work on ouya. The con - no way of doing this in DND so you need some understanding of code. The pro - this can also give support for controllers hooked up to the ouya that aren't ouya controllers, this includes XBox, and several others I believe. This is good because not everyone who has an ouya even uses or has the native ouya controller.

Also I saw somewhere in this topic someone wants to know if the OUYA has a USB port I lost track in reading this topic who asked that, but yes it does - that's how I personally like to test my games via my Sans a Clip USB storage.  It's do-able and much easier than constantly compiling + uploading to dropbox + download from drop box via OUYA's we brows AND logging in and out of dropbox - it's a real pain. USB is quicker but still annoying since GMS's android testing method is too confusing for me to follow, I have no choice :p

Also doing a factory reset automatically deletes ALL of your data including all your PURCHASES. So don't do that unless you want to buy all your games all over again. There's no way of getting it back this is actually what happened to me. so always keep a backup transfered via USB storage, etc get those APK files backed up in case for whatever reason that you might need to factory reset.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:31:56 PM by EnigmaDevFan » Logged
MrBones
« Reply #1826 on: January 08, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »

so how long has OUYA been dead now, I think I forgot to make a grave
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1827 on: January 08, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »

R.I.P Android consoles in general.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1828 on: January 08, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »

Hey I still use my Ouya and think it's cool.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1829 on: January 08, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »

was there ever a good game made for ouya yet

M
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: January 08, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »

Towerfall and Hidden in Plain Sight are both good. The Ouya is a very good system for local multiplayer games.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1831 on: January 08, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »

That's a niche it still failed to attain any real marketshare in (cheap local multiplayer console) mostly because the damn controllers were so expensive, and it's tough even for hardcore gamers to scrounge up 4 working, useable controllers and configure them all.

Most people would get better local multiplayer experience buying a used GameCube or N64 and a copy of Mario Party/Kart/any number of 4 player N64 games.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:48:55 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1832 on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

Most people would get better local multiplayer experience buying a used GameCube or N64 and a copy of Mario Party/Kart/any number of 4 player N64 games.

True. But then, used GameCube's aren't as easy to come by as they used to be. (Thanks to GameStop no longer carrying them) So it's no longer easy or convenient for the average consumer to get the system and controllers together for that local multiplayer experience. And even if they did, they would still be faced with a low-definition experience. (the GameCube went no higher than 480p, and the original component cables aren't even worth looking for)

The OUYA still has untapped potential in the local multiplayer space. And there is actually a very easy and useful work-around for the controller issue. Don't worry, I'm working on it. The game I'm currently working on will be a good fit for an OUYA port.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1833 on: January 08, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »

Towerfall and Hidden in Plain Sight are both good. The Ouya is a very good system for local multiplayer games.

both of those are for other systems though (towerfall is getting a pc release, hidden in plain sight is also for xbox); so what i really meant was more like this: are there any good exclusive ouya games?

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1834 on: January 09, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »

both of those are for other systems though (towerfall is getting a pc release, hidden in plain sight is also for xbox); so what i really meant was more like this: are there any good exclusive ouya games?

PC: The greatest and most convenient platform for local multiplayer.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1835 on: January 09, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »

An argument could actually be made for this in terms of development, but not for end-users. The general set-up for most PCs makes local multiplayer too much of a hassle. The one modern concession to this would be connecting laptops to living room screens.

The biggest problem with PC local multiplayer is the controller dilemma. One of the best developments for local multiplayer in the past decade has been wireless controllers. Having a controller interface that requires no wires makes local multiplayer much easier to set up and deal with. The problem is that the PC platform STILL doesn't have any standardized controller, and the closest it has gotten hasn't been wireless. (the wired 360 controller was much more standard for the PC as opposed to the wireless model)

Recent developments might change this. The Dualshock 4 apparently plays very well with most PCs. (with bluetooth adapters, at least) And the Steam Controller is being developed with PC in mind.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1836 on: January 09, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »

I dunno about the PC's local multiplayer problems but Towerfall is also coming to PS4, so there will be at least one more version aside from OUYA's without the aforementioned issues.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 09, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »

i think ouren's post was meant to be sarcastic lol

anyway ive played mame gams in local multiplayer on pc. not as good as consoles but it's serviceable. it wasn't that much of a hassle to set up either.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1838 on: January 09, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »

The problem is that the PC platform STILL doesn't have any standardized controller
Microsoft has banned any non-360 controllers from programs on the Windows Store (which includes 100% of Metro apps), so if they get their way, that may become the defacto standard controller.
M
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 09, 2014, 03:59:22 PM »

An argument could actually be made for this in terms of development, but not for end-users. The general set-up for most PCs makes local multiplayer too much of a hassle. The one modern concession to this would be connecting laptops to living room screens.

The biggest problem with PC local multiplayer is the controller dilemma. One of the best developments for local multiplayer in the past decade has been wireless controllers. Having a controller interface that requires no wires makes local multiplayer much easier to set up and deal with. The problem is that the PC platform STILL doesn't have any standardized controller, and the closest it has gotten hasn't been wireless. (the wired 360 controller was much more standard for the PC as opposed to the wireless model)

Recent developments might change this. The Dualshock 4 apparently plays very well with most PCs. (with bluetooth adapters, at least) And the Steam Controller is being developed with PC in mind.

I don't think there is really a controller dilemma anymore. Like you said, the Dualshock and the Steam controllers work with PCs. I have a wireless Xbox controller dongle and I used that to play multiplayer with my cousins over the holidays. It was easy because they brought their controllers that they use with their console and it worked perfectly. I think the biggest problem for local PC multiplayer is the mainstream perception that these games don't exist on PC, and the fact that most people would rather play these games on a TV than a computer monitor, and they either don't want to or don't know that their computer can be displayed with a TV.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic