Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:19:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175480 times)
SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »

Personally I think hardware on this console will get old pretty fast, like in a year or so. It's not Xbox or PS for which console devs hack in hardware that will be fresh for years to come.

That makes it not a best platform to develop next-gen/fat titles for, but for mini/medium-games it might be the best choice out there, no doubt.

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
iamaelf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 31, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »

I think i would get one and play super secret  Ninja games while  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right dinner  Beer!
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 01, 2012, 03:03:39 AM »

^ You armed like an octopus?
iamaelf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 01, 2012, 03:42:59 AM »

Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right Hand Money Left Hand Money Right i am octopus man dont judge me Mock Anger a magical  Wizard made me this way he also made Panda man
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 01, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »

Personally I think hardware on this console will get old pretty fast, like in a year or so. It's not Xbox or PS for which console devs hack in hardware that will be fresh for years to come.

I agree, even Android will fall, and I will not be surprised if it happens soon. Most of the mobiles have a short life-time. We are in an era of technological transition, I'd rather bet on a desktop computer, which is more stable, than to bet on a technology that may become obsolete at anytime.

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 02, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »

I'm not sure how it could get "old". Considering it is hardware for mobile systems, power was already a lower priority. It is already "old" on release, if you want to compare it to console  and desktop systems. I'm not sure what is meant by console devs hacking in hardware. They use higher end hardware that's still quickly overtaken by what PCs have access to. The idea of hardware going "bad" is a ridiculous concept now. I have a 5-10 year old used laptop I got for $50 and use for watching videos and whatever. I'm not doing heavy graphical rendering with my everyday tasks on my laptop, and not every game has or needs to use the power of high end hardware.

I can't see Android going anywhere (unless Apple kills it with their endless litigation). It's an open source OS. Even if it did die, the system would get remixed into something else.

the2bears
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: September 03, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »

I agree, even Android will fall, and I will not be surprised if it happens soon. Most of the mobiles have a short life-time. We are in an era of technological transition, I'd rather bet on a desktop computer, which is more stable, than to bet on a technology that may become obsolete at anytime.

How is Android any more likely to "fall" than your desktop OS? 

the2bears  - the indie shmup blog
Theophilus
« Reply #687 on: September 03, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »

Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right Hand Money Left Hand Money Right i am octopus man dont judge me Mock Anger a magical  Wizard made me this way he also made Panda man

there can only be one octopus

you, me, coral reef 4:00 pm

ur dead
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 04, 2012, 04:50:52 AM »

How is Android any more likely to "fall" than your desktop OS?  

The hardware architecture of a mobile changes faster than the architecture changes of a desktop. And the OS will need to be drastically changed or being replaced.

From this to this was a long step.

And from this   to this will be another long step.

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 04, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »

How are either of those considered to be long steps software-wise (assuming the second one isn't a smartphone)? I don't think the smartphone is going away anytime soon. Now that phones are multipurpose computers, their OSs share a lot more in common with desktops OSs. I don't even know what that 4th image is. It just looks like a clear phone. Why would it need different software?
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 04, 2012, 02:58:33 PM »

Indeed, android (much like its dad linux) is multipurpose and functional enough that it can continue to go forward as phone tech changes and it will be able to adapt to new problems. It will need to be upgraded of course, but I don't see what could be coming that it couldn't handle.

Think happy thoughts.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: September 04, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »

I doubt smartphones are going to take the next evolutionary step anytime soon, if at all. They will only get more powerfull, eventually.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 04, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »

How are either of those considered to be long steps software-wise (assuming the second one isn't a smartphone)? I don't think the smartphone is going away anytime soon. Now that phones are multipurpose computers, their OSs share a lot more in common with desktops OSs. I don't even know what that 4th image is. It just looks like a clear phone. Why would it need different software?
Indeed, android (much like its dad linux) is multipurpose and functional enough that it can continue to go forward as phone tech changes and it will be able to adapt to new problems. It will need to be upgraded of course, but I don't see what could be coming that it couldn't handle.

I'm a Linux user, I know that Linux is a long-life term OS. But the fact that Android is handled by an Unix system does not mean that it will live for so long like Linux.

I agree that it may be still called Android after an upgrade, but it will not be the same, just a new system with the same name. A new and entirely different architecture will need a new system to control it. It is like try to use a computer with 16Gb of RAM memory with Windows 98 installed, you will not have access to the 16Gb RAM.

*The 4th image is a glass-like device.

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 04, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »

Well yes, there will have to be changes in order to keep up with hardware, much like what has already happened. Android is on version 4.1 by now, and it has evolved feature wise yet managed to maintain a reasonable amount of backwards compatibility between devices thus far. I don't see why that would stop anytime as memory increases (as it is sure too). I see what you are saying in that there is and will always be a need for the software to change to meet the hardware changing, but I think in Android and iOS we finally have mobile OS' that will scale for the future without becoming utterly useless. This is all just my opinion though, its not like I have never been wrong before Beer!

Think happy thoughts.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 04, 2012, 09:10:29 PM »

I agree that it may be still called Android after an upgrade, but it will not be the same, just a new system with the same name. A new and entirely different architecture will need a new system to control it. It is like try to use a computer with 16Gb of RAM memory with Windows 98 installed, you will not have access to the 16Gb RAM.

I am not sure what you are saying here.

No OS is the "same" after an upgrade or update, considering the code changes from one version to another. I'm not sure what scale you are talking about or how you are defining "same". Linux runs on different processor architectures, except they are still all Linux because an OS is at a logically higher level than the hardware it runs on, so architectural changes do not matter much. The OS doesn't need to be completely re-written, unless we are talking about a completely different model of computing than used today. What architecture are you talking about?

You wouldn't be able to use 16GB of RAM on Windows 98 because of hardware issues (not software ones) or because Microsoft simply capped the RAM usage at that level (doesn't need to have the entire system rewritten).

As for the glass like phone, its just a computer rendering. There is no indication that it would work differently than any other computer device. Unless the thing didn't use circuits or something, I don't see how it is different.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: October 04, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »

we're still talking about this?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:26 AM »

he said, bumping a thread with no posts for a month.

?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: October 05, 2012, 04:48:51 AM »

Have there been any news about it lately?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #698 on: October 05, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »

Not much. They have a blog on their site, and their last post was 9/28, talking about getting former IGN president Roy Bahat to be chairman of the board. Also, they hired a couple of other game-related people. Nothing about development of the actual system / shipping / stuff like that.

P.S. J-Snake, what's with the massive blank space beneath your post?

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: October 05, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »

I will just see if something happens. At least there is the ps-vita to port some stuff in the meanwhile, at least that is what I read at the moment. Shouldn't be too much work regarding I have previously worked with xna.

p.s. blank space just happened

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic