Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:09:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175384 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #780 on: January 02, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »

Here's some kinda optimistic view on it: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ouya-developers-share-enthusiasm-reasons-for-support-and-lack-of-piracy-fea
“For now, our reasoning to possibly support the platform is simple: it might work,”

I guess, if you are already developing for Android, you don't have much to lose by porting your game to OUYA.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: January 02, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »

Here's some kinda optimistic view on it: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ouya-developers-share-enthusiasm-reasons-for-support-and-lack-of-piracy-fea
“For now, our reasoning to possibly support the platform is simple: it might work,”

I guess, if you are already developing for Android, you don't have much to lose by porting your game to OUYA.

OUYA has a lot to lose, by gaining a reputation as "That console with all the old phone games you can run on your TV."  Not exactly a niche you want to be in.  Games designed for tiny phones and touchscreens usually don't work well on TVs with controllers.

It's going to be pretty obvious when you load up a game on OYUA and the controls seem completely out of place or slapped on, and the game's content is so shallow that it could only work as a time killer phone game.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #782 on: January 02, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »

OUYA has a lot to lose, by gaining a reputation as "That console with all the old phone games you can run on your TV."  Not exactly a niche you want to be in.  Games designed for tiny phones and touchscreens usually don't work well on TVs with controllers.

It's going to be pretty obvious when you load up a game on OYUA and the controls seem completely out of place or slapped on, and the game's content is so shallow that it could only work as a time killer phone game.

Of course, if your game was made with touch controls and mobility in mind, you should at least rethink the controls and make the necessary changes.

The sad thing is that a lot people will just recompile the game, put the touch controls on the touch pad and call it a day. Just like a lot of console/pc developers port their games to iOS/Android with a virtual analogue stick and buttons.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #783 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

That can be the case with a lot of games, yeah. Maybe that's why the developers of the Ouya didn't make the touch-pad really large. If it was large enough to be a preferred method of input, then simply pushing a touch-heavy game onto the Ouya and have it use the touch-pad would be acceptable. By making the pad smaller, it kind of encourages developers to program in normal gamepad input if they want their games to perform well. Maybe they just wanted to save the cash on a larger touch pad, though. Tongue

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »

So, apparently the OUYA has a challenger! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 03, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »

ooh, nice controller I like.

as in Android on a stick there are a few out there already for example:
mk802
mk808
ug007

and with gnu/linux instead of gingerbread
raspberry pi

but none of the above has nice gamecontroller that comes with it..

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #786 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »

ooh, nice controller I like.

Really? I think it looks decidedly unergonomic.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #787 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »

I like the idea of a really small controller that really is a console in itself, and I like the way the controller looks (though the lack of handles might be unergonomic). It's kind of unfortunate that the Ouya started first and without any fanfare - just showing up on KickStarter.

I can only imagine that the developers of the GameStick felt a little crushed to see something so similar to their project launch ahead of time, and especially achieve so much buzz that it makes their console look 'young'. Basically, I don't see this getting nearly the amount of cash that the Ouya did. If the Ouya had been a little more hyped before going to KickStarter, maybe the GameStick developers could have found a place there as developers / technicians instead.

If the GS had Linux instead of Android, it might be a competitor, but just offering the same thing but smaller and weaker (I assume, since it defaults to drawing power through weaker interfaces than an AC adapter and doesn't have a fan) doesn't sound too convincing. I'm not sure if it will do very well. But yeah, competition's always good.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:43:11 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »

You honestly don't think the GameStick exists because of the Ouya's crowdfunding success instead of in spite of it?

Laserbrain Studios
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 03, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »

Raspberry pi?
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »

The GameStick is kind of a neat idea. An even more minimal hardware system than the OUYA, squeezing everything necessary for a basic game system into an HDMI stick. I'm assuming that its going to be able to draw power through the HDMI port in order to power the system? (and then the Bluetooth controller will have batteries of its own?)

The Kickstarter has already reached its goal of $100k. I'm not sure I'm going to drop money on this Kickstarter. But if they bring it to market, I will probably buy one.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: January 03, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »

I'm assuming that its going to be able to draw power through the HDMI port in order to power the system? (and then the Bluetooth controller will have batteries of its own?)

Yup. At least the HDMI-powered part:

Quote from: Kickstarter FAQ
How is GameStick Powered?

1) MHL - GameStick will work on all MHL compliant TVs where it will draw power directly from the HDMI slot.
2) For older, non-MHL Compliant TVs we will supply a USB connector cable to draw power from the USB port.
3) For older TV's which do not support either MHL or power through the USB, there will also be a power adapter.

Laserbrain Studios
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: January 03, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »

You honestly don't think the GameStick exists because of the Ouya's crowdfunding success instead of in spite of it?

No, not really. Looking at:

- The amount of work that seems to have gone into it already, and

- The fact that it seems to be offering a similar package to the Ouya (Android-based OS, pushing games from an indie-friendly ecosystem to the big screen, disrupting the console market),

I think it started development after the Ouya did, but before the Ouya went 'public' with their KickStarter.

EDIT: Looking at their page, they might be underselling the amount of games that could be there (I don't notice a list of developers / teams that they've been working with). It seems like they have a lot of connections that might be willing to work with the system, or at least endorse it (Media Molecule, for example).

deathtotheweird
« Reply #793 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »

yeah, but perhaps the GameStick kickstarter exists because of the Ouya's success.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #794 on: January 03, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

^ Ah, I hadn't thought of that. That might indeed be the case.

richardjames13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:26 PM »

I'm going to try using my PS3 Sixaxis controller on my Raspberry Pi but I need a compatible Bluetooth dongle first. The

Raspberry Pi is designed to be an educational toy rather than a game console. It is not as powerful as other systems out there but it has what I need (USB, HDMI and Linux)
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: January 04, 2013, 02:09:09 AM »

GameStick has really caught my eye. This and Ouya seem to be pushing Android as a competitor to PC more than anything else, making it a much broader OS than any game console. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, Google released Android as a PC OS at some point.

Regardless, I'm just glad we have options for Android games to stop using virtual buttons. Anything to get better controls, and I like the more open picture idea too. (no virtual buttons == no HUD clutter)
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »

Looking at the GameStick kickstarter ... I dunno, is it just me, or is there something really weird about this whole 'pay oodles of money to be a beta tester' thing? Isn't it meant to be the other way around (minus the oodles)?
tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #798 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »

I got my OUYA devkit yesterday. I didn't have time to start any actual dev but I took some photos, hooked up the hardware, and played around for a bit. Overall I feel pretty positive about it. I definitely look forward to building games for it. The biggest flaw was that the controller still needs a bit of work to feel right. In particular:

• The joysticks, particularly the right one, would be well served by more texture on the surface.
  • The top two trigger buttons feel shifty and I am concerned about breaking them.
  • The touchpad will only have very niche uses as it is hard to reach.
  • Opening the battery compartments is terrifying.

I posted some more thoughts and the photos here: http://blog.tacograveyard.com/ouya-unboxing

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »

GameStick has really caught my eye. This and Ouya seem to be pushing Android as a competitor to PC more than anything else, making it a much broader OS than any game console. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, Google released Android as a PC OS at some point.

Regardless, I'm just glad we have options for Android games to stop using virtual buttons. Anything to get better controls, and I like the more open picture idea too. (no virtual buttons == no HUD clutter)

I think their is a x86 port of android, it might not be the most stable thing in the world, but it exists

edit:
just looked it up: http://www.android-x86.org/

Think happy thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic