Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:49:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175474 times)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: January 08, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »

EDIT: But it is odd that NVidia would help tune the Ouya as well as release their own console with a stronger GPU... Maybe they don't intend for it to compete with the Ouya at all?

Given the current specs of the Shield, I'm imagining that it will be considerably more expensive than the Ouya. Not to mention the fact that one is a console permanently tethered to a TV while the other is a handheld with its own dedicated touchscreen. Then there's the simple economics of the situation. NVidia is going to be making money off of selling Tegra 3 chips to the Ouya developers. The Ouya team is essentially an NVidia client, and providing proper support for your clients is just good business. And then there's the cross-over factor. If the Ouya does well it will mean more Android-optimized games available with a controller focus. And if they'll run on the Ouya, they'll certainly run on the Shield. Convincing developers to port those titles over will be a walk in the park.
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: January 12, 2013, 01:08:02 AM »

Just found out GameStick will be HID compliant for its bluetooth... meaning PS3 and Wii controllers should work. I've reached out to Ouya for comment on this Wink via their contact form on the website. We'll see what their reply is!
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 12, 2013, 02:08:27 AM »

The controller looks uncomfortable a bit, but otherwise could do well. Like with the Steam Box, the price might be a major factor.

EDIT: But it is odd that NVidia would help tune the Ouya as well as release their own console with a stronger GPU... Maybe they don't intend for it to compete with the Ouya at all?

NVidia's not really a 'game company'. It's an electrical engineering company dominating its own market. It's not a Japanese company that tries to dominate several industries.. it's an American company which tries to be the best in its field.

They don't really want to sell consoles or rule the world, they want to make better and more powerful chips and sell them. I'd assume that if they made their own console, it's only because they couldn't find a market for it, so they had to build one.

They wouldn't want to dominate a handheld market, they'd just want to give it a starting push and prove that it could work, so that everyone else would start building consoles that need Nvidia chips.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: January 12, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »

Muz, you really know a lot about what they want to do. I was also surprised when Amazon made Android tablets, but it worked out well for them.
Doesn't NVIDIA have SoC now? So they are not GPU exclusive.

Master of all trades.
Falsen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: January 12, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »

Gameplay videos of a couple Ouya ports.

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #825 on: January 14, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »

Cool, glad to see stuff up and running on it. Second video makes response time look really nice, I just hope that controller is comfortable...

Does anyone know of people trying to push it graphically? The videos show stuff that can easily run on mobile devices right now, and I was hoping Ouya could do a bit more than that since it's not handheld.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:43 AM »

but the hardware is from mobile devices non ?  My Word!
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: January 14, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

I knew it was hardware for Android, but I didn't know if it was limited to hardware already out there for mobile devices. Regardless though, 1GB RAM isn't going to meet any modern console minimum requirements anymore. Quad core 1.7GHz should do okay though. So, does anyone know how the Tegra 3 GPU (or equivalent) holds up? I'm wondering if we can have very pretty games that just can't remember a lot at once.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 14, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »

I knew it was hardware for Android, but I didn't know if it was limited to hardware already out there for mobile devices. Regardless though, 1GB RAM isn't going to meet any modern console minimum requirements anymore. Quad core 1.7GHz should do okay though. So, does anyone know how the Tegra 3 GPU (or equivalent) holds up? I'm wondering if we can have very pretty games that just can't remember a lot at once.

It's all about architecture man. It being "1.7 ghz quad core" doesn't mean a whole lot. Not saying the cpu is terrible, but it is not comparable to -for example- an i7 just because they both have four cores. And 1GB is plenty considering the chips around it, the ps3 has half of that and still pumps out some beautiful games. As for the gpu it is alright for a mobile system, but is a lot closer to a wii than a wii u (for example). The ouya can't compete polygon wise with consoles, but "pretty" games is a pretty open term. Secret of Mana is "pretty" but you could probably emulate it on a toaster  Smiley

Stressing this is all imo, I am by no means a hardware expert

Think happy thoughts.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »

I didn't know if it was limited to hardware already out there for mobile devices. Regardless though, 1GB RAM isn't going to meet any modern console minimum requirements anymore.

well offcourse the ouya is possible bevause there are gazillions of chips for the mobile/tablet industry; the ouya is a mix&match of the cheapest / most powerfull stuff out there. But nothing in it is specifically architected for it or something.

not to say 1gb ram isn't plenty in my opinion for a very powerfull little machine. I don't think you should compare it to 'modern console' minimum requirements though (whatever that is)
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #830 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »

Sorry, let me rephrase:

I was looking at PC game minimum requirements, and those all start at 2GB for games made in the last year or so. Tongue I assumed that meant either you had to be super optimized for the hardware like consoles are, or chances of games running well were low. And I don't see Android games as ones that will be optimized on a per-system basis...

I could be very wrong though! Still pretty new to understanding graphics to hardware.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »

Sorry, let me rephrase:

I was looking at PC game minimum requirements, and those all start at 2GB for games made in the last year or so. Tongue I assumed that meant either you had to be super optimized for the hardware like consoles are, or chances of games running well were low. And I don't see Android games as ones that will be optimized on a per-system basis...

I could be very wrong though! Still pretty new to understanding graphics to hardware.

That's how you learn, you come online and talk about stuff, the only reason any of us can give you answers is because we did the same thing Smiley

Also, minimum Memory for pc games also includes windows, room for any other applications, and all sorts of other things that have to be stored in that space. So that number is not entirely representative of how much memory the game uses on its own

Think happy thoughts.
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #832 on: January 15, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »

Doi, the OS! Of course! I forgot about that. Android probably does the equivalent of closing Explorer every time you open an app. That would make it a lot easier to run things on.

And for that help in learning, I am *most* grateful.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 15, 2013, 02:48:40 AM »

yeah that's probably a big factor.

But I don't really think the PC games that came out the last year (I assume you mean AAA) are an honest representation of  the games you will be playing on the ouya.
So in that sense your not very wrong at all.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #834 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »

So if you pre-ordered the Ouya before Feb. 4th (I think?) the console would arrive in March. However, now it's up for pre-order and shipping in June. Kinda wish I had pre-ordered one now... Anyway, according to the homepage, extra controllers now cost $50 each, while the console remains at $100. It would appear that it's going to be sold at Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, and Target. Pretty cool to see it officially on store shelves.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 05, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »

So if you pre-ordered the Ouya before Feb. 4th (I think?) the console would arrive in March. However, now it's up for pre-order and shipping in June. Kinda wish I had pre-ordered one now...
Oh really, that sucks bigtime Sad

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #836 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »

June comes sooner than you think;) Cool to hear they are out of stock. Any information about how many ouyas have been bought/ordered so far, 22000 seem to have played with the software around at least.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
deathtotheweird
« Reply #837 on: February 05, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »

extra controller costs 50 bucks?

are they dumb?
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #838 on: February 05, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »

are they dumb?

They have to make profit somehow...

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: February 05, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »

are they dumb?

Well, I believe it was $30 originally, so you got a deal if you ordered earlier. Also, considering a standard 360 controller is around $45, it's not that outrageous. Maybe it's the touch pad that raises the price by a buck or two to produce that's making the difference. Could / should be cheaper, though...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic