Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:16:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMastery - Ability based overhead action-puzzle game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Mastery - Ability based overhead action-puzzle game  (Read 12278 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »

Considering adding some different level goals, ex. you have to collect something and deliver them to a goal area one at a time, instead of just grabbing everything and heading for the exit.  Might be more trouble than it's worth. D:
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 08:30:36 AM »

Another level finished!  Not sure if it's still too hard or not .. Crazy

10 levels left!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:58:33 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »

Haven't forgotten about the discussion of "Too much text/stuff thrown at the player too fast and too early".  I added some icons of each game element being described in the text, and also moved some of the game elements introduced in the green levels to the yellow levels.

Still not sure if that's enough, but it might be.

Also, Barrier is the most buggy pain in the ass ability in the entire game.  I've had nothing but issues with it.  Bah!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:05:17 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »

Some random BS idea I probably won't add to the game due to it being too late in development and taking a lot of work.  Still interesting though :p

Enhance : When picked up, empowers the next defensive/escape ability you use.

Empowered ability description

Defensive

Slow - The slow field's effectiveness is enhanced and lasts longer.  Enemy shots that enter the slow field will move away from the player.
Shadow - Enemies that you pass through with shadow active become terrified and are stunned for 1 second.
Barrier - Enemies that are trapped under the barrier spawn an anti-enemy, which chases down other enemies and causes them to flee from the player.
Freeze - Enemies are frozen in place for longer, and their firing rate is slowed.

Escape

Blink - You can blink a farther distance, and blink's cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds.
Boost - The speed increase is greater and lasts 1 second longer.
Gateway - All enemies near you when you return to the gateway are stunned for 2 secons, and gateway's cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds.
Ghost - You move slightly faster while ghost is active, and enemies that see you while ghost is active flee from the player for 2 seconds.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »

Finished another level.  I also removed the power areas completely.  They just weren't interesting enough to warrant keeping in the game, and there's already enough stuff in there anyway.  
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »

Augh!  I had to change the ability keys to V,B,N, because one of the keys was jamming on cheap-o keyboards when W and D were held down at the same time.

Also finished another level, yay.  This level has been a big pain, causing all sorts of bugs to start popping up!  Aiee!  Gotta squash 'em all.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »

New video of level 21

I've also updated the game's demo with the new sprites, and 2 more levels.

I also updated Perspective's demo, but I don't feel like bumping the thread for it. >_>
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 08:31:06 AM »

this is most definitely a brainy game

For some reason I read this as binary game .. o_O

Progress has been made! Added a small line in the player's control circle that shows the ability cooldown.  Also, when the cooldown is refreshed, the control circle will glow temporarily.  This makes it a lot easier to visually distinguish the status of your abilities, without having to look over at the status area.

I also added a circle around the Gateway, showing it's maximum range.

Level 22 finished!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »

Finished level 23 rather quickly.  I'm on a roll.  Mostly because I had the layouts for the levels planned out ahead of time and just had to do the dirty work of adding enemies/obscacles and then testing it .. >_>
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »

Added colored area to Portals, so you can tell which enemies will pop out of them. Also, Portals now only release one enemy regardless of difficulty.

Level 24 finished.  Only a few more to go.  But, they're the Red levels, aka the most evil bastards ever concieved.  Aiee!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »

I've added a small bonus scoring element, just to make things a bit more interesting for scoring.  You can press Space when close to an enemy to tap them for bonus points.  You can do this once per enemy in each level.  It's entirely optional, so you're not obligated to start doing it.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »

Changed some of the field graphics so they have some icons on them.  They look a bit more unique now.

I've decided to reduce the total number of levels from 30 to 28.  I really need to get this wrapped up so I can get to work on Perspective.

Level 25 : Needs completion
Level 26 : Needs enemy placement
Level 27 : Finished
Level 28 : Needs completion

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:56:56 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »

Level 25 and 26 done, only one level left. Then I can finally finish this. :D
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »

Pretty much finished with this one, still planning to release it with Perspective.  I may change my mind on this, though.  Depends on how long Perspective is taking me.

Now it's time for Beer!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »

I marked this game as finished, but decided to go back and add four bonus levels to it.  These bonus levels have a different goal - destroy all enemies!  It's a lot more about action and less about puzzle.  Of course, don't take that to mean it's going to be easy .. :3

Also added teleporters specifically for the bonus levels.  Enemies can't use the teleporters, which is good for you .. but the teleporters have a 4 second cooldown.  So don't think you can just dodge in and out of them endlessly.

I also found a good use for the previously removed Power fields.  They now prevent you from using your abilities when on top of them.  They will only appear in the bonus levels as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:18:32 PM by Udderdude » Logged
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 05:04:45 AM »

excellent mix of mechanics!

and the music is so genesis/80s awesome.

(beginners problem but I thought the switch-barrier things were still active (specially the blue ones for some reason) so you might want to make those a little more transparent when inactive, or maybe do outlines of them. it did trick me more than once.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:04:00 AM by flipswitchx » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »

I thought the switch-barrier things were still active (specially the blue ones for some reason) so you might want to make those a little more transparent when inactive, or maybe do outlines of them. it did trick me more than once.

Good point, I'll do something about that.

Edit: Don't feel like bumping this anymore, but I have been doing a bit more work on this.  I went back and added sleep states to the enemies, so that enemies behind closed doors will remain asleep until the door is opened.  This helps both game performance and looks cool, since the enemies now have a little ZZZ animation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:02:13 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic