Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 06:04:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesLet's Roll Up [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Let's Roll Up [FINISHED]  (Read 21076 times)
nu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:25:19 AM »

Let's Roll Up is complete.  Bootleg Katamari Demake.  Chiptune versions of two Katamari songs made using Musagi and Famitracker.  .  Intentionally crappy in some ways to give it that bootleg feel.

The game is here

http://www.mediafire.com/?mt6wfoszzkb

A third chiptune song made with pxtone that I didn't use in the game is here

http://www.mediafire.com/?hjzrpm6dytb

Features

One entire level to master!
Rolling!
Rolling up to get bigger!
High scores!
Crappy Graphics!
Lame Gameplay!

Controls

Move - Arrow Keys
Quick Zoom - "A" Key
Quit - ESC

How to Play

Roll around picking up objects to get bigger and get as big as you can within the time limit.  When you hit a certain size you will get bigger and be able to pick up bigger objects.  If you bounce off an object, you are too small to pick it up and must wait until you get bigger.  Bigger objects are worth more size points.

Some prototype screenshots -- been updated since these were taken

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:52:10 PM by nu » Logged
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »

Love the name!

Can't see the images though... not even when I paste the URLs in my browser.

nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »

okay I should have fixed the images
nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »

the thing I made is finished
CoinOp
Level 0

Slow, drifting, ethereal living.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »

0/5 Would not download again.

In all seriousness this ran so very poorly that I couldn't even begin to enjoy it.
camosid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »

Really? I thought it ran fine. I just wish there was more of a sense of growing.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »

It ran for me, and I was amused for approximately 2 minutes. My favorite part was the menu! Although I felt it was lacking color a bit, or at least raindbows. I didn't have the patience to wait for the time to run out. Is there are royal rainbow at the end? Because if there isn't there really ought to be, and you DO still have two more days to work...
nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »

0/5 is okay since I made it to be kind of crappy...but I would want it to run well.  I'm still new with Game Maker so I'm not sure why it wouldn't run well.

Two minutes of enjoyment works for me...but if only I could have made you hang in there for one more.  I was going to put a Royal Rainbow but I didn't.  The King does tell you what he thinks of your score at the end though (very simply).  Thanks for the comments.
medieval
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 04:41:31 AM »

I actually thought it was fun.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »

that was great - it has all the cheese factor of katamari! music spot on too

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 08:13:28 AM »

I like this. The graphics and sound work well, and it's charmingly cheesy in a katamari-ish way. It runs fine for me, except that it takes a very long time to load.

I think there is something missing from the gameplay, though, which is that it feels like nothing much is happening most of the time, since the only feedback that you are getting bigger is the number in the top corner of the screen. An easy improvement might be to instead of a number, have a circle in one of the bottom corners of the screen, for the Katamari, with the prince's head next to it for size. Every few objects have the circle visibly grow a couple of pixels bigger, with a nice sound effect, and have a bigger effect when the actual sprite changes. Hope you don't mind the suggestion.

nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 09:07:57 AM »

Glad some people are enjoying it. 

Pishtaco, I'm happy to get any type of feedback at all actually, thanks.  The problem I encountered while making this is that if the ball gradually builds, there is more chance of it getting stuck between two objects it cannot pick-up or becoming trapped in a certain area.  I like your suggestion, since it would give an indication of the katamari growing yet it would still only grow at predefined points.  I could have come up with something more advanced, but at the same time I was going with making a garage-built sold-on-the-street katamari bootleg, so I didn't want to make it technically too well made.

I know it takes a long time to load and I still need to learn how to fix that when I make games with Game Maker.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 09:00:11 PM »

very nice, no particular problems with performances Beer!
But how do I Roll not sucked?
King is never happy.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 07:17:59 AM »

I really liked it.

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »

But how do I Roll not sucked?

You have to score above 4000 to not suck.  Over 6000 and the King will be happy  Smiley

The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »

Awesome little game! I actually had a lot of fun with this; played it three times and *almost* got to 4000 on the last try.

It's such a simple mechanic, and it really makes me wonder why nobody tried making a game like this back in the day (did we really have to wait for 3D graphics to make a game about rolling a ball around)? Anyway, great work, I enjoyed the Pac-man dudes and other little sprites outside the fence.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 03:42:46 PM »

I'm sure that if you browse the back catalogue of old C64 and spectrum games you'll find a lot of equally simple and entertaining games with original mechanics, sadly neglected and forgotten.
</off topic>

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »

Maybe I made the ratings too hard, sorry.  Probably should have let people score about 3000 or 3500 to not suck.  I was the only person who tested it unfortunately, and I know the entire layout of the level.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »

Wooo! I absolutely loved it, it felt so genuinely Katamari. I managed to get above 4000, but what's the biggest you can get? Are you able to pick up the houses at all? It's just as addicting as the original games.

4854 was my highscore.

Make that 5352  Gentleman
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:42:24 PM by Mr. Trianglehead » Logged
nu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »

Mr. Trianglehead you can pick up everything you see once you get a certain size, though the house and trees require the biggest size (over 6000)...as for score it is possible to get over 7000  (my highscore is about 7200).

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic