Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:02:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSteam Greenlight announced
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Steam Greenlight announced  (Read 57054 times)
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »

So, does it mean it's only Greenlight from now on? I thought they said it's going to be an addition to their submission process, not a complete replacement.
No, they did say it is a complete replacement of the submission system: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27172.msg760110#msg760110  "Although Valve will retain editorial control, this actually does completely replace the old system in the sense that new developers MUST submit games via Greenlight."

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:08 PM »

IIRC, they also require you to have given them money (that is, bought a game off steam) in order to be eligible to submit. Just an interesting little tidbit that I haven't seen many people talk about.
Moczan
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »

IIRC, they also require you to have given them money (that is, bought a game off steam) in order to be eligible to submit. Just an interesting little tidbit that I haven't seen many people talk about.

2$ game on a 75% sale counts to that too, so I don't think it's much of a problem. I think they require it to confirm you are a real person (you've made a purchase using PayPal or CC which require your real data).
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »

I don't think it's a real *problem*, even a skeptic like me can find something to buy, and there are certainly plenty of cheap things about. I just thought I'd point it out.

I have no idea how many fellow skeptics there are out there who have successfully resisted the whole phenomenon and can now be lured into their clutches. Smiley Once you've bought once, it's so much easier to do it again...
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »

It's certainly going to be interesting to watch.

We generally don't hear much about Steam rejections, however plentiful they may be. But with Greenlight, the whole process is going to become a lot more public.

Not looking forward to the inevitable (and necessary) 'greenlight spam' we're going to see all over the interwebs though ('plz upvote my game!!' theads)

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

2$ game on a 75% sale counts to that too, so I don't think it's much of a problem. I think they require it to confirm you are a real person (you've made a purchase using PayPal or CC which require your real data).

Not sure it's that simple.

It removes people who really don't want to put their credit card online, people who don't have access to a credit card, people for which 2$ is a lot to pay in their countries, etc.

It's a bigger filter than it seems.

I hope it will not make only rich hardcore gamers being able to vote. I mean, there are tendencies to what steam users like to play and it's not, as far as I know, a really varied or curious community.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »

It removes people who really don't want to put their credit card online, people who don't have access to a credit card, people for which 2$ is a lot to pay in their countries, etc.

So you want to make money on Steam but you are affraid to use your CC online? Roll Eyes

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »

I hope it will not make only rich hardcore gamers being able to vote. I mean, there are tendencies to what steam users like to play and it's not, as far as I know, a really varied or curious community.
Hanako said the requirement was for *submitting* games, not voting on them (ie for devs not for 'gamers')?

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »

It's a bigger filter than it seems.
You can also use PayPal, which does not require a credit card (you can just send money from your bank account to your PayPal or just directly link the two). And you'd have to be in Zimbabwe or something for 2$ to even be too much for an investment that could give you a significant boost in sales (I mean, you'll probably also be selling your game elsewhere, and even for a one-dollar game you only need two sales to pay for that). If you're referring to poor gamers, Steam is not interested in their votes because they won't buy from Steam anyways.

Hanako said the requirement was for *submitting* games, not voting on them (ie for devs not for 'gamers')?
IIRC, you also need a Steam account with bought games for voting. Which only makes sense, since voting is meant to determine whether a game could sell or not; it'd make no sense to have people who haven't actually bought a game on Steam vote.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »

the reason it requires you to buy a game to vote for it is otherwise devs would make thousands of fake accounts just to vote for their own game

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »

... Which at least some probably will anyway, since it's not exactly much money to lay out compared to the returns you might get. However, bloc fake behavior tends to be detectable.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »

So you want to make money on Steam but you are affraid to use your CC online? Roll Eyes

I was talking about voters, I forgot to precise.

eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »

I was talking about voters, I forgot to precise.

People who are supposed to be the people that want to see your game end up on steam yet have no interest in steam? Tongue

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »

What?

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:58 AM »

I think he's saying that people who have no interest in buying games on Steam shouldn't be deciding which games get on the service. Which is what the 'must have bought a game on Steam to be able vote' rule is meant to enforce.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »

IT'S ALIVE!

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

And there's a lot of crap in it! :D

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »

i just put immortal defense on it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92932076

so far it has 4 votes

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

I'm gonna put spelunky (slightly modded) on it
wish me luck!

J/k lol

But from now on 90% of new forums posts will be greenlight spam. It has already started Sad

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »

Paul> Voting by virtual friendship.

This game has attained 0% of necessary positive ratings so far

So there IS a threshold.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »

I'm gonna put spelunky (slightly modded) on it
wish me luck!

J/k lol

Already saw Half Life 3, Turok and Mario in it... Valve is taking them out very quickly.

Also, some Portal 2 mods

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic