Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:59:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHey serious Southern Ontario Canadian Indies!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hey serious Southern Ontario Canadian Indies!  (Read 9505 times)
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:10:37 PM »

I'd like to present an idea.

I know there are other "Indie's" out there working on console targeted, or generally high profile games.  You're funding yourself through small contract work, savings, or via elusive government programs.  You're either an individual that does a little bit of everything, or a small team of 2-4 people with complimentary skillsets.  And right now you're either working out of a basement, a bedroom, or over the internet. 

I'm here to guage the interest in acquiring and setting up shared office space.

A different idea I'm sure, but having been doing this a while, I miss some aspects of the office.  Not so much the hierarchy, licensed titles, or the "catering to the publisher" milestones and such, but the social and collaborative aspects given the creative nature of our business.

You work at your own pace, make your own milestones, report to nobody but yourself.  Except this way, you're surrounded by interesting projects growing around you, and people to test your game.  Certainly more motivating than browsing forums and checking out what others have done.  Wink

Lots of sharing potential.  Shared office rent, shared FAX, shared kitchen, shared confidentiality, and the real meat of it, shared knowledge, experience and ideas.

Best of all, we can debate indieness all day every day. Wink.  Alright, maybe that's not the best thing.

The problem boils down to who can do it.  I'm in London Ontario myself, so I'm a good couple hours from those of you in the Toronto area.  Each city, and every one inbetween has it's advantages.  Cost of living, travel time, entertainment options, "student availability", and so on.  I'd love to get a few people involved in some "cost of living" and "office cost" recon.  I'd suggest not writing off the idea "because you'd have to move", at least until we get some cost facts.  Bottom line, fast internet, a roof, and some good food in the area and we're set.  Beach is optional.  Smiley

Of course, many MANY many details still need to be ironed out.  Anyone involved would need to be able to support themselves and their team (ideally not a "If my client doesn't pay me, I can't pay rent" situation).  Our teams should not hate each other.  And so on.

Thoughts?  Anyone intrigued?

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »

This is a pretty cool idea.  I know I have trouble working at home, but I can be a real workaholic when I go to the office.  It would also be pretty interesting to work with other indie developers under the same roof.  I wonder if there are any potential problems that might arise from shared ideas and such.  Some people can get weird about that.  Anyway, I'd be up for doing this, if I lived locally.  Good luck!

CosMind
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:07:59 PM »

that, sir, is a solid plan.

wish i were there to join you - if something like this went down in austin, tx, usa, then i'd be ready to move in Smiley
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 01:02:27 AM »

Hey serious Wroclawian Polish Indies!... ... whatever o.O.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:52:25 AM »

Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz
Hey serious Wroclawian Polish Indies!... ... whatever o.O.

Polish indie reporting here Wink.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 04:55:08 AM »

I'd be down, but I'm on the other side of Canada. Tongue

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 08:07:35 AM »

me too.
do it in montreal and im ill be the first lined up.

there's this cool old factory in st-henri where they used to build colecovisions AND cabbage patch kids dolls! think of the history.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:26:50 AM »

there's this cool old factory in st-henri where they used to build colecovisions

That sounds awesome. Smiley

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 11:13:02 AM »

Very cool idea man.

Personally it's problematic for me because of a) location b) zero income. But when b) changes, this is an idea i'd pursue with relish.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 12:43:37 PM »

i really just want to buy some old country house somewhere in the countryside, invite  all my best friends (who are pretty much all artists/designers) and just...fucking grow carrots there and make games.

fuck.

and we'd wear white robes and id grow a patchy beard.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »

and in the end, drink the poison redbull to join the giant Robopacman in the sky.

Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »

I'm in the neighbourhood, but I don't currently have the freedom, time, or cash for such a venture unfortunately.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 09:46:45 PM »

I'd be down, but I'm on the other side of Canada. Tongue
Hey, me too. Too bad office space here is so ungodly expensive.

I'm certainly not that serious.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:49:09 PM by ravuya » Logged

YesThisIsAPC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »

I'd be for this. Give me some time to raise the money and I could be in.
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »

raise money?  I think a requirement is to have steady income to be able to pay rent consistently.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »

It's quite an interesting idea. I'm around Montreal so I can't be part of it but if I could, I would! Wink

I know how much office space costs and it's a good idea that the small guys join forces together in some way. I like the approach of sharing the costs to focus on development.

Anywho, keep us noticed of development!

YesThisIsAPC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 06:42:27 AM »

raise money?  I think a requirement is to have steady income to be able to pay rent consistently.

Which I have, but anyone whos every started a lease will know that theres a fair amount of initial money required that is greater than the monthly lease payment.
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »

i really just want to buy some old country house somewhere in the countryside, invite  all my best friends (who are pretty much all artists/designers) and just...fucking grow carrots there and make games.

fuck.

I stay at my folks house at the moment. That is pretty much what you're describing. I would love to turn it into an indie commune, but I don't think they'd be too pleased with smelly developers wandering around, eating their food.

Man, it really would be cool to have a gathering of indies to just work on their own individual stuff, but be supportive of one another. That's how it was for groups of renaissance artists.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 12:45:46 AM »

It's a shame most communes nowadays are based religious cults or an attempt to form a sovereign nation.  I'm not even sure there are still hippie communes.  A videogame design/development commune would be crazy great.  A commune based on the melding of art and technology.  I wonder what kind of games would come of that.  It'd probably become famous within the industry and game press.  Then some of the games released would be perceived as crap, and people's hopes would be shattered.  They'd call our commune worthless.  But whatever!  Damn their hopes!  It's about the games!  Not your expectations of what we should be!  THIS IS WHY I LEFT YOUR FILTHY SOCIETY IN THE FIRST PLACE!

got a bit carried away in the fantasy.  sorry

back on subject, anyone wanna rent office space in the Southern Ontario area?

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 01:30:16 AM »

I've started expanded on the concept via my blog.  You can read the first part here.  A manifesto of sorts. Wink

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic