Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:11:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDataJack - Isometric Stealth Cyberpunk Missions
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: DataJack - Isometric Stealth Cyberpunk Missions  (Read 13687 times)
Rickshaw
Level 0

ignotum per ignotius

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »

About DataJack

DataJack has been in development for about four years now. It's a mission-based stealth action cyberpunk game with RPG elements. As a mercenary, you will take contracts (sabotage, espionage, assassination, etc.) in exchange for credits, which you spend on modding your guns or purchasing cybernetic implants.

There are three main factions, and each will have a different ending, should you end up focusing on their contracts:
Omnigen- The quintessential megacorp, Omnigen's employees are raised in Omnigen housing, attend Omnigen schools, have Omnigen careers and are given an Omnigen burial.
Delta P.M.C.- Following the collapse of nation-states, the role of armed forces were filled by private military contractors. Delta PMC is small but rising, and with your help, could ruthlessly dominate the marketplace.
The Erisian Liberation Front- An anarchistic youth hacker gang which aims to disrupt the functioning of late-capitalist society through acts of terrorism. Their methods are chaotic and their targets are apparently random.

The game features 28 weapons, each having six stats, all of which can be modded. Modifications are unique to each weapon, often providing a bonus to one stat while slightly degrading another. There are 8 pistols, 9 rifles, 7 SMGs, 3 shotguns, and a sword.

The player may also choose an inventory of up to three gadgets for each mission. This can include a rocket launcher, EMP grenades, IR goggles, etc.

Fully destructible walls.

You can increase your accuracy, armor rating, running speed and stealth by purchasing cybernetic limbs at the clinic.

A big focus of the game is hacking. Many objects in game can be hacked, either by getting in close with your tools, or over a network terminal. Any data you pick up in a mission can later be sold for some credits on the side. Of course, you'll need to have the cutting-edge black market tools to hack the more serious security systems...

Current Status

The weapons, items, between-mission town, dialogues, saving, loading, etc. are all complete.

I'm currently working on missions. There are 12 finished missions, but I'm aiming for at least as many more.

I suppose once they're all in, I'll need some serious playtesting to balance the cost of items versus mission rewards. However, I'm much closer now than I've been in the four years of development, which is why I feel comfortable promoting it.

Gameplay Vid and Website

I've got your gameplay right here:

It's more of a teaser than a proper trailer, because I'm not that hot with the video recording / editing stuff just yet. This video focuses more on the action and carnage!

Visit my website! http://epicbanana.com/ There are more pictures and info there, and I'm keeping a regular devlog.

You can read the entire original dev log, starting from the beginning, at my Daily Click page: http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?id=1243

About Epic Banana

I founded Epic Banana Software http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Banana in 1996, and released many small, stupid freeware games for the macintosh http://www.mobygames.com/company/epic-banana. Our most popular titles were the “A Day at Work” and “Yogurt Commerical” series, which were greeted with much bafflement and critical acclaim on account of their directionless gameplay featuring no victory conditions, and atypical subject matter.

If you can get an emulator for an old PPC macintosh, you can still download all the old games from this fansite archive: http://barfquestion.com/eb_site/eb_index.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:33:24 PM by Rickshaw » Logged
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

hey that looks pretty clean dude, i can tell you've put a lot of work into it so far. Good luck with it broseph!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:03:13 AM »

Fully destructible walls.

It feels more like Crusader: No Remorse than stealth. Not that that's a bad thing!
Rickshaw
Level 0

ignotum per ignotius

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:22:37 AM »

I know! How come more games don't do this?

It feels more like Crusader: No Remorse than stealth. Not that that's a bad thing!

Well a video of the combat is a million times more interesting than the sneaking aspect, but you're right. Excellent game by the way.

I might put together a sneaking / hacking video, now that I think about it...
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »

Please do, I would like to see the different play-style options! It also might help in the sense that you could get some useful feedback on the mechanics.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:51:29 AM »

Speaking of which: one thing I notice is that gunfire and explosions don't really distract the guards at the moment - this is most notable from 0:50 onward.

I mean, wouldn't it be awesome if you were able to plant explosives at one side of the office, sneak to the other side, then remote detonate said explosives, resulting in all the guards rushing that way making it easy to sneak by them, or shoot them in the back if so required?
Rickshaw
Level 0

ignotum per ignotius

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »

Speaking of which: one thing I notice is that gunfire and explosions don't really distract the guards at the moment - this is most notable from 0:50 onward.

I mean, wouldn't it be awesome if you were able to plant explosives at one side of the office, sneak to the other side, then remote detonate said explosives, resulting in all the guards rushing that way making it easy to sneak by them, or shoot them in the back if so required?

They do, and you can! Notice the guard at :50 hearing the gunfire. The other people in the next shot are scientists.

I'll try to get a hacking video up soon.  Hacking turrets and cameras is essential for some stealth but I've always tried to have multiple possible approaches, and fallbacks for players who haven't upgraded their hacking tools enough.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »

Ah, ok. Yeah, makes sense the scientist don't approach danger. Shouldn't they be fleeing though?
Rickshaw
Level 0

ignotum per ignotius

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »

Ah, ok. Yeah, makes sense the scientist don't approach danger. Shouldn't they be fleeing though?

They will flee, and cower if they actually see you and know that you're a bad guy. In most missions, the guards and civilians don't know you're a bad guy unless they see you hacking stuff, hear you shooting, see you brandish a weapon, etc.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »

Yeah, Crusader is what I thought if too, with a bit of Syndicate and Deus Ex mixed in.

Anyway it's inspiring to know you've been working on it for 4 years. Keep truckin!
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

Looks pretty damn awesome man, can't wait to try it in action!
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »

this is awesome
Rickshaw
Level 0

ignotum per ignotius

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »

Thanks everyone. The biggest motivation for finishing up DataJack at this point is so that I can start on other games- I have a lot of ideas.
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »

Very interesting, I love this idea and it reminds me of my WIP.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »

This looks very neat! My support  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Rickshaw
Level 0

ignotum per ignotius

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »

A lot of people wanted to see some of the stealth aspects of the game, so I put together another trailer:

This shows off some of the network hacking, sneaking around, killing people with swords, etc.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 02:06:58 AM »

Kiss
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 03:15:17 AM »

this is FUCKIN' AWESOME  Evil

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 03:44:33 AM »

I'm in pixel heaven.

What tool / programming language are you using  WTF?

Rickshaw
Level 0

ignotum per ignotius

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »

I'm in pixel heaven.

What tool / programming language are you using  WTF?

Believe it or not, this is with Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer ... I think I've fully plumbed its limitations, though, and will use something different for my next project.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic