Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:50:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingObsolete - 7dfps First Person Cyberspace Puzzler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Obsolete - 7dfps First Person Cyberspace Puzzler  (Read 3469 times)
orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:15:32 AM »

Project Description
Cyberspace puzzle shooter in the vein of Rez and System Shock. Run from ICE nodes while rerouteing data streams.

Download for PC and Mac here: http://7dfps.org/?projects=obsolete
Release Trailer Here:

Made for the 7DFPS project. Would love feedback on anything, so I know what to do/not do in my next game.

Controls
WASD and Mouse to move. E or Left Mouse to interact. R resets current level. M toggles motion blur. Escape exits.

Hints
The goal of each level is to use the teleporter. On some levels the teleporter first needs to be powered, and on others it is already active, but protected by a shield you must deactivate.

For development news, feedback and updates go here: https://twitter.com/Orihaus
Get the soundtrack here: http://soundcloud.com/lhasamencur/obsolete-ambient-soundtrack

Credits

Design, Modeling and code by: Orihaus
Sound and Music by: Lhasa Mencur
Logo and Helpscreen by: Pietro Riva

gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

really impressive work for a contest, well done!

I like graphics and sounds, not so much level design and absolutely no hints and game don't provide a good sense of progression (IMHO)

Blog | Last game Number+
orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »

Thanks! And yea, it's not just your opinion, 90% of feedback said the same thing, which is why I'd like more specific feedback than just 'bad level design'. Also, did you manage to finish the game? I want to know how many people have.

Marries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:14:54 AM »

The visuals are really awesome, well done!

Now for some more specific feedback:
 - It's not clear what the goal is. Apparently you have to connect to one specific node, but that's not clear enough. I think it would be more clear if it would blink or had a different color.
 - There is no feedback for when you are in "selected mode". At first, I had no idea that there was two-staged interaction. You could for example have the line connect to you when you are in selected node.
 - In the first level, when the node is connected to itself (because I clicked twice on one node) it becomes very hard to understand what is going on.
 - The exit node has to be connected for a while, but there is no visible progress. It should either (nearly) instantly send you to the next level, or there should be some really clear progress like a (circular) bar filling up.
 - It seems to matter at which node you start to make a connection (right?). So the connections are not symmetrical, but there is no feedback about this. (why should they be asymmetrical anyway?)
(Note that I spent quite some time (in multiple sessions) figuring these things out. The first time I played it, I didn't even get past level 1...)

I stopped at the first level with some enemies. I had no idea what to do there (disable the shield? but how?), and the enemies didn't make it any easier.

You don't have to explain everything literally in game (please don't), but you have to make sure that there is enough feedback (more than the yes/no sounds).
Letting other people playtest your game would have been perfect to spot these bottlenecks.

Are you planning on improving the game? It seems to have a lot of potential and it looks like a game I would enjoy, so I'd really like to play a version which is easier to understand!

orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! And yea, I really wish I had more playtesters during the week the 7dfps challenge was on. I literally only had 2 or 3 that gave good feedback. In retrospect I should have posted it here, but I didn't think I had the time.

- The exit node has to be connected for a while, but there is no visible progress. It should either (nearly) instantly send you to the next level, or there should be some really clear progress like a (circular) bar filling up.

Yea, this is the main point of confusion I think. I made an update to make it clearer, but that obvoisly was not enough. The beam is only an illustration of the connection, the actual connection itself is the streams going through it. Only one is needed to power the teleporter.

I stopped at the first level with some enemies. I had no idea what to do there (disable the shield? but how?), and the enemies didn't make it any easier.

Disable the shield the same way you did it on the last two levels, by making sure no power gets to it! The shield beeps when on low power, so if it beeps you probably are going in the right direction. Also, I hid a few secrets on that level, I'm kinda curious to see if anyone found them.

Are you planning on improving the game? It seems to have a lot of potential and it looks like a game I would enjoy, so I'd really like to play a version which is easier to understand!

Thanks! I have a few ideas that should make it much easier to play, but it would require an overhaul, and I'd rather make a new game in the same style. So maybe, if there's enough demand :D

maetheec
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »

After fiddling around for about 10 mins and absolutely lost on what I'm suppose to do. All I can give you is need better tutorial.

My overall experience goes like this: I saw WSAD to move and left click to interact... Then I tried clicking on the 'X's... it made some noises that sounded like "invalid" or "error" and some light trails seems to moved around a little...

Oh, and nice visual  Gentleman
sirleto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:58 AM »

i just wanted to anoy you with the fact that i still hope you would answer my mail Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic